• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

Richard Rawen

First Post
Lazybones said:
Thanks, Vurt!

A milestone for the story today... chapter 200. Man, that went fast. ;)

Chapter 200

PAIN

Wow congrats on the milestone, congrats to us readers mostly as we are the beneficiaries of your prolific writing!

As to the "PAIN" for a chapter title . . . well . . . that seems a bit commonplace for our dear heroes LOL
Excruciatingly Overwhelming Agony... yeah, that's too wordy. PAIN is good . . . well, the Orcus-ites sure think so. Man I hope they get to feel it soon.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 201

THE EDGE OF FATE

Celleen’s mass inflict moderate wounds spell was easily powerful enough to kill Shay and Dar outright. But as the priestess hurled the negative energies of the spell into the aether, focusing it like knife points on the tenuous lifelines of her foes, the magic wavered and dissolved. She turned with fury and looked at Varo, who held his divine focus in one hand, and had stretched out his other toward the priestess. The cleric of Dagos had called upon one of his last higher-valence spells to fuel his own mass inflict, and had used it to counterspell her magic.

Celleen shrieked in frustration, and lifted her mace as though prepared to deal with the cleric in the old-fashioned way. After what her fellow priest had done to Herzord, it seemed unlikely that Varo would fare any better.

Dar’s vision grew clouded, as a red haze descended over his perceptions. He knew that another hit, any hit, hells, even a sharp push would probably end it for him. But deep inside his brain something had snapped, and he refused to go down, demanding that last hit before he would capitulate.

He reached down and grabbed Theron’s wrist. The cleric tried to pull free, but Dar’s fingers were like iron, his stolen strength returning in a rush of blind fury. For a second or two, the pair wrestled for control. Then Theron snarled and lifted his mace with his other hand.

Dar did not relinquish his grip, and lifted the cleric’s arm. He spoke, each word a shout that sprayed a fine mist of red out from his blood-smacked lips.

“NO!”

“MORE!”

“FREAKING!”

“CLERICS!”

With the last word, even as Theron shifted his weight and brought his mace down, Dar drove Valor around and down in a violent blur. The axiomatic blade hit the cleric’s arm at the elbow and kept going, severing the limb and breaking the connection between them. Still holding Theron’s arm, Dar staggered back a step, while opposite him the priest missed wildly with his own swing. The burning head of the mace formed a red trail that Dar only barely perceived. Theron, wavering, managed a step forward, bringing the mace back up in a upward arc aimed at the fighter’s head. Sheer instinct warned him of the attack, and he brought Theron’s forearm up to block, while driving Valor up with his other hand. The blow pierced the cleric’s armor in the gap between plates under his weapon arm, the blue steel sliding deep into his body.

Theron gasped, and his fingers loosened. The burning mace plummeted to the ground, landing on the stone floor of the dais with a loud clatter.

Dar stood there, holding up the cleric—or perhaps holding himself up against him, the two connected by the foot of steel driven through Theron’s body. Blood cascaded from the severed arm of the priest, pouring onto Dar’s armor.

Theron stirred, and whispered something into Dar’s ear.

Then he fell, and Dar yanked Valor out of him as he dropped to the ground.

“NO!” Celleen yelled, a sound of animal fury erupting out of her throat as she charged toward Dar. Her mace came up, and she drew the power of Destruction into her as she crossed the few steps that separated them, poised to put an end to this enemy that had slain her lover.

Unfortunately for the cleric, that path also took her by Shay, who tripped her as she passed.

The cleric landed hard on her face. Her jaw cracked the hard stone floor as she hit, and she spat blood as she tried to get up. It took her a moment to get her bearings, but she quickly recovered, shaking her head to clear it as she got her hands under her and pushed up.

Unfortunately, that brief delay was too much, as Talen came up behind her and drove Beatus Incendia down through her neck with enough force to pierce her fully and chip the stone beneath.

Celleen gurgled something, and collapsed.

Talen stood over her, and looked around. Varo was helping Shay to her feet; even with his help she could barely stand. Dar was wavering like a drunken man, but he refused to go down. He was covered with blood, which trailed off of him like raindrops. Looking down from the dais, Talen saw a landscape scattered with bloody corpses. Allera was on her feet, kneeling over Serah’s blackened body, while Kalend sat on one of the bronze tiers, shaking uncontrollably.

Victory.

jensun

First Post
Lazybones said:
Theron stirred, and whispered something into Dar’s ear.
So,any guesses for what Theron said to Dar before he died.

Something like, "your too late" or "Orcus comes" leading into the last final rush to try and stop the ritual from completing.

Lazybones

Adventurer
CrusadeDave said:
Level up Stats?
I updated the Rogues' Gallery thread. Heading off to a BBQ this afternoon, so I'm posting today's update early. Happy 4th!

Chapter 202

VICTORY

Scenes of victory.

Allera knelt in front of a small, multicolored figure. She reached out and smoothed Snaggletooth’s gossamer wings, then sobbed and lifted the little dragon into her lap, holding it gently against her body.

Varo stood over Serah’s blackened corpse, fists clenched. Shay came up behind him, put a hand on his shoulder. “I’m sorry,” she said.

Varo looked up at her, his expression neutral. “We needed a priest of the Shining Father in our company,” he said. “Without one, we will not be able to fully sunder the link between the Demon and his three temples in Rappan Athuk.”

Shay’s expression turned into a look of horrified disgust, and she backed away. Varo watched her, then looked down at Serah’s body once more.

As he turned, his right fist opened briefly. In it was a ring, an exact copy of the one that he and several of his companions wore. The cleric thrust the ring back into his pouch, and walked away.

Kalend bent over near the edge of one of the bronze platforms, voiding his stomach. He had not stopped shaking since the end of the battle. As he straightened, he saw Dar coming up behind him.

“There is no shame in it,” the fighter said simply.

“I... I cannot stop shaking.”

Dar held his eyes for a moment. “You should go back to the goblins. Ensure that our avenue of retreat is kept open.”

Kalend wiped a hand across his mouth, then realized that it was covered in blood. He grabbed a rag out of his pouch that was at least partly clean. “You going on, colonel?”

Dar glanced up at Talen, who was standing atop the dais, watching them and staring at nothing at the same time. “I guess we’ll figure that one out next.”

The thief tucked the rag back into his pouch. He looked to the side, where a bloody arrow lay beside the corpse of one of the enemy priests. “I suppose... I suppose I will stick with you, sir.”

Dar nodded. “Help me loot these bodies, then.”

As the fighter crossed the room, he met Allera. The healer had wrapped the body of her slain companion in a piece of white cloth; the whole looked barely larger than a folded cloak. She paused as Dar came before her, and did not look up.

“I... I’m sorry about your friend.”

Allera finally did look up at him, her eyes full of tears. “You will think I am weak... but would you hold me, just for a minute or two?”

Dar nodded, and she came into his embrace, heedless of the bloodstains that covered his armor. “You’re not weak, Allera,” he said, his voice husky as he put his arms around her. “You’re the strongest person I know.”

She did not say anything, just stood there within his arms.

Shay walked up the stairs slowly, toward Talen. The knight had been healed of his physical wounds, but one look at him was enough to show the scars he carried within. He did not seem to recognize her until she was almost upon him, then his gaze shifted and his distant expression softened. She laid a hand on his arm, and his mouth tightened.

That connection did not last long. Varo came up the stairs to join them. As the three faced each other in silence, the others sensed that something was happening, and Dar, Allera, and Kalend moved to join them.

“Well, Varo, let’s have it,” Talen said finally.

“You heard the high priest, commander. We are out of time.”

“And you believe that load of crap?” Shay asked. “He knew he might die, he would have said anything if he thought it would hurt us.”

“He was not lying.”

“Oh, and I suppose you know that from your gods-damned book, or from some whisper from your god that you didn’t care to share with us!”

“Shay.” Talen’s voice was low, but it caused the scout to draw back, if only slightly. She had been shouting almost into Varo’s face.

“She’s right about one thing,” Dar said. “You can’t trust those bastard clerics.”

Varo did not turn his gaze from Talen. The knight, met that stare square on, his eyes just slightly vacant. “Allera, how are we for healing?” he finally asked.

The healer lifted her head but didn’t quite meet her gaze. “My wands, potions, and scrolls... all used up. I have... one wand, cure light... it was Serah’s. It’s almost empty.”

“Several of the enemy clerics and our goblinoid allies had healing potions that they did not get a chance to use,” Varo said.

“So we’re going on,” Dar said.

“Allera has a rod that can purge physical exhaust...”

Talen cut Varo off with a raised hand. The knight’s eyes looked sunken in his head, and deep black circles lay under them. Shay looked at him with concern.

“Tell me what happens, Varo. The ritual.”

The cleric nodded. “They will have been collecting souls for a while, now. The captives they took from southern Camar were likely insufficient for their needs; that was why they had to assail Grezneck. If what the high priest said was true, then we came along almost at the end of their ritual; remember that the cells below were empty.”

The others stood silent, caught up in Varo’s speech. “The Sphere of Souls is just a storage device, a conduit for gathering up the life energy of Rappan Athuk and focusing it for the cult’s use. This place must be connected to it, somehow.”

“Why not just keep the sphere here?” Dar asked.

“The layout of Rappan Athuk may appear to be random,” Varo replied, “but that is a misleading perception. The three temples of the demon... those are laid out in a precise arrangement, upon invisible but very real lines of power. I cannot be more definitive without deeper study, but I would posit that this location is sited close to one of those ley lines, feeding the Sphere through the ritual that those priests were conducting. The Sphere itself will be in the Third Temple, the deepest and most powerful locus of Orcus’s power on this plane.”

“Once they have gathered enough soul energy, the priests of Orcus will use that power to sunder the barrier that separates the Prime and the Abyss, opening a gateway through which Orcus can enter our world in the flesh.”

“I do not understand,” Allera said. “We have faced demons, many of them. Is not Orcus more powerful? Why can’t it just come here on its own?”

“Therein lies the difficulty, from the perspective of the cult,” Varo said. “The Prime, our world, and Abyss are polar opposites in the very nature of their fundamental realities. They are separated by a boundary that is a necessary prerequisite of their separate existences. Even conjuring a minor demon to our reality takes considerable power, and the more potent the demon, the more power must be invested. To bring a Prince of the Dark into the material realm... that requires enough power to sunder the very boundaries of reality.”

“Why does the Demon want to come here?” Talen asked, quietly. “What does it want with us?”

“Destruction. Power. Chaos. Do not seek to delve too deply into its motives, commander; its mind is alien to ours. Demons are the embodiment of chaos and evil, and they share none of the empathy and sentiment that sentient beings on our world feel.”

“What about our guide?” Dar asked. “I didn’t see that Filcher among the bodies of our ‘friends’, but then again all gobbos sort of look the same.”

“If he survived, he likely fled back to his kin,” Shay said.

“Well, that makes him the only smart one here,” Dar noted. “It still means we don’t know where we’re going.”

“I can take us there from here,” Varo said.

“More secrets?” Shay asked.

“No. I spoke to the goblin at length, while we recovered from the battle with Tribitz and his minions. And the currents of power linking the temples... they are strong, so strong that I can almost feel them without the aid of a spell. We are close, very close.”

“What can we expect to face, Varo?” Talen asked. “Spare me the usual qualifications; your best guess, based on the evidence available.”

“Let me guess,” Dar said. “More clerics.”

“Likely so,” Varo said. “Undead, almost certainly. Demons, likely.” He hesitated, a subtle shift in expression, but Talen picked it up.

“Speak.”

The cleric nodded. “The demon we faced in the second temple. The one that took the Sphere and teleported out.”

“What is it?”

“A greater demon, unique among its kind. Its power was... beyond anything we’ve faced here.”

“How are we supposed to beat a thing like that?” Shay asked.

“We do not have to beat it. We only need to get to the Sphere.”

“And if it costs our lives to accomplish that, I suppose you don’t care.”

“I care about the survival of our world,” Varo said, his voice surprisingly intense. Shay’s jaw tightened, but she did not respond.

Dar looked at Talen. “You’re in charge of this pileup, commander. It’s your call.”

jonnytheshirt

First Post
Alors!

By the the shining blade of Billie the fish'n'chipmonger from Queens Bridge Road - he cries as his onions fall and decree's "Ye O LazyBones a Might and powerfull writ ye make upon this board, bless yer barnacles and may yer tea be ever tepid!"

Top stuff my man. Publishing and that larks a funny game I know, but the internet is great and to have your work here is fantastic. Our thanks and encouragement.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Thanks, jonny! Still playing 2 NWN campaign sessions/week over at NWC, by the way.

Chapter 203

THE CHAPEL OF ORCUS

As Shay pulled the lever recessed into the leg of the statue of Orcus, a large segment of the rear wall slid slowly open, revealing a dank staircase that led down into darkness. Dar shone a torch into the opening, revealing a small landing that also contained a ladder of ancient bronze rungs that led up a narrow shaft for at least as far as the light extended upward.

“Where does this go?”

“Up,” Varo said. “Our way lies below.”

“Yeah, right,” Dar said. “Shay, you want to do your thing, or you want one of us to go first on this one?”

“I got it,” the scout said, drawing out her own torch as she started down the stairs.

They had not lingered long after Talen had made his decision. They had finished looting the bodies of anything of use. Dar had stripped the magical plate mail off the enemy high priest and donned it, turning his breastplate back over to Varo. The mail was not a perfect fit, but Theron’s build had been similar to Dar’s, and a few adjusted straps had proven sufficient for the moment. Shay had found a ring of thin clear crystal on the body of the high priestess that almost screamed magic, and she almost absently slid it onto a finger of her right hand. A number of other items of magical potency made their way into Varo’s handy haversack, and he had distributed several magical potions among the members of the group. Or had tried to; when he’d offered Shay a potion of bull’s strength that he had found in Herzord’s pouch, the scout had been quick to reject him.

“Just stay away from me, Varo,” she’d said, turning and walking away. She had found the lever for the secret door a minute later, summoning the others before operating the hidden mechanism.

They descended for an interminable time. It no longer seemed vital just how far they were underground; the feeling of bright sunshine and clean air had receded to a hazy memory. They continued down in single file, with Talen behind Shay, followed by Dar, Allera, Varo, and Kalend. As they made their way further down the stairs, each of them felt a cold, cloying sense of evil descend upon them like a second skin, stronger even than the malevolence they had felt in the slave pits. The temperature in the air alternated between a sticky warmth and bone chilling cold, often within the span of just a few steps. Their boots trod upon sick, squishy things that stank of foulness, and Shay slowed their pace, alert to any threats that might linger in the darkness ahead of them.

Time passed. Finally, they came to a chamber at the foot of the stairs, a square, featureless room with a single doorway offering exit.

“This is not a good idea,” Shay said quietly, as Talen joined her at the end of the staircase.

“We have no choice,” Talen said, heading for the door. Shay had to hurry to get ahead of him again, giving the door a cursory examination for traps or other dangers. The portal was no real barrier, the wood cracked and rotted, with gaps that allowed her to clearly see what was on the far side.

“Looks clear,” she said after a moment, pulling open the door.

The attack came without any warning. Three wraiths emerged from the walls and ceiling of the corridor on the far side of the door, swarming onto Shay. The scout cried out as their insubstantial claws vanished into her body, ripping out vitality from her.

“Shay!” Talen yelled, leaping forward as his sword blazed into brilliant life.

Varo raised his divine focus, and called forth the power of Dagos. The violet flicker of negative energy seemed tentative, weakened by the overwhelming potency of Orcus in this place, but two of the wraiths froze, rebuked. The third followed Shay as the scout stumbled back, deeply drained by the undead creatures’ touches. It reached for her again, but before it could strike her a second time both Valor and Beatus Incendia tore through it. With a soft hiss, the creature dissolved.

The other two wraiths put up no resistance as they were torn apart. “Are you okay?” Talen asked Shay.

The scout nodded. Allera put Tribitz’s rod to good use, restoring the vitality she had lost. “Sorry... it looked clear.”

“There was no way to know that they were there,” Talen said. “If they didn’t know we were here before, they do now. Let’s keep going.”

The passage beyond the door led straight for about fifty feet before a slightly narrower side passage branched off to the right. Shay looked in both directions, and indicated that it looked like the passage forward terminated in a room about thirty feet ahead.

“We go right,” Varo said.

“How do you know?” Talen asked.

“Do you not sense it? The power... it is immense. I can feel it unassisted; I suspect that a detect magic here would result in unconsciousness.”

“All right, take us forward, Shay, but keep an eye out, everyone, for another ambush.”

The scout nodded, and head them down the tunnel. The passage forked again after another forty feet, and again Varo guided them to the right. The passage straightened and widened, and they found themselves in a vaulted corridor some twenty feet across, which proceeded for about sixty feet more before ending in a pair of double doors. These portals were of black stone, and rose some fifteen feet, to almost brush the ceiling. There had been carvings on the doors at some point, but time and use had worn them down, until only vague but disquieting outlines remained.

“Varo?” Talen asked.

“I do not have any answers, commander. From here on our, we will have to consign ourselves to our gods.”

Talen looked at him in surprise; the statement seemed incongruent, coming from him.

“I’ve had enough of gods, good or ill. I’ll trust in this,” Dar said, holding up Valor.

Shay took a deep breath, and took hold one of the battered handles of black iron that jutted from the front of the doors. The heavy portal opened, although she grimaced at the effort required to move the hulking thing. After a moment, Dar moved to help her, and the two of them drew it open far enough for clear access into the space beyond.

Their light revealed a rough chamber, its far ends barely visible at the very edge of their light. Mounds of debris littered the floor, and the ancient stone was cracked and pitted, with crevices everywhere that swallowed their light and remained deep in shadow.

The companions moved warily into the room. “There aren’t any exits,” Kalend said.

“Check for secret doors,” Talen said. “Stay alert... there’s something... wrong about this place.”

The knight’s instincts were proven correct a few heartbeats later, as the shadows around the perimeter of the room began to move. Dark things emerged from the myriad cracks in the walls, gathering at the edges of their light.

“Shadows!” Shay warned.

The undead, dozens of them, hesitated only long enough for their full strength to gather, then they dove at the companions, incorporeal claws extended to siphon the life from these intruders that had dared to penetrate their sanctum.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads