• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

javcs

First Post
I guess Dar's luck ran out. Heck, I'm kinda surprised he's lasted as long as he has at these levels.

Varo's gonna pull something. I'm not sure what, though. But, it'll have something to do with the white fires and the Gate - maybe Orcus will get shoved through the Gate into the Celestial Realms or somewhere inhospitable to his kind?

jensun

First Post
Varo

I think that Varo is having some sort of crisis of faith/atonement type issues so I suspect he is about to reconvert to the faith of the Father and invoke some Heavenly type goodness on Orcus.

I say Varo for the new Patriarch!

Also, I have to congratulate you LB. I think the writing is getting tighter and more focused as you go on. One thing this story does very well is to mostly put the D&D'isms into the background. There are still a few there, mostly in the combat descriptions, which can be a little jarring but otherwise they dont really intrude.

Top notch stuff.

Nightbreeze

First Post
I have to say that I appreciate the D&D'isms, most of the time. You have a way of depicting them that makes them more interesting: like Varo casting of time stop and miracle.

Burningspear

First Post
Nightbreeze said:
I have to say that I appreciate the D&D'isms, most of the time. You have a way of depicting them that makes them more interesting: like Varo casting of time stop and miracle.

Exactly what i was praising about a few posts ago, i fully agree again :)

Lazybones

Adventurer
jensun said:
One thing this story does very well is to mostly put the D&D'isms into the background. There are still a few there, mostly in the combat descriptions, which can be a little jarring but otherwise they dont really intrude.
Nightbreeze said:
I have to say that I appreciate the D&D'isms, most of the time.
From the comments I've read throughout my ENWorld stories, I get the impression that most of my readership falls in between these two views. I try not to let the game mechanics get in the way of the story, while at the same time staying within the bounds of what the rules lay out as plausible (and folks have called me on it when they felt that I've gotten too far off track in that regard). In the case of the combat scenes, the rules actually give me a framework that makes crafting combat sequences easier (even if the overabundance of high-level options adds a certain degree of challenge).

Also, given that ENWorld is a D&D site, I don't want to get too far afield from the D&D roots of these stories. I've thought about setting up a Web site to post my other work, but thus far I haven't had enough impetus to pay for hosting space (my free provider only gives me 20mb for my current site).

And now back to your regularly scheduled story. Today's post is another short one, but I can promise an interesting development of Varo's unique situation in tomorrow's chapter.

Chapter 363

SACRIFICE

Varo was dying.

Allera could see it, the black surge of energy surrounding him like a million tiny threads of death, slashing and tearing at his life force. Somehow, Varo had stopped her gate from collapsing, and she could sense the golden-white blazons of power radiating within, all but obscured by the reactive black cloud that enveloped both it and the cleric. She was not sure what Varo was doing, but it did not seem like he was in control of that power, and it looked as though the death-energy was winning out.

And that was not even considering Orcus. The Demon was coming closer, although Allera could not see it clearly through the waves of distortion surrounding the tiny remnant of her gate.

Allera’s decision was born of reflex, and she flung herself forward, into the outer radius of that black nimbus. She cried out as the outermost tendrils brushed against her arms, each opening a tear as the skin died and gave way. Her death ward had either expired while she had been knocked out by the blast coming from the destruction of the Wand of Orcus, or the release of energies had disrupted her protections in some way; she had only her own inner strength and force of will as a defense. She did not know how Varo withstood it; he was utterly overwhelmed with those surges of power, and while she could not see his face clearly through the black storm, she could feel the pain rolling off of him like a wave. Death closed on him like a surging tide.

Against that, Allera had only one weapon: life.

The healer wrapped her thoughts into an armored wedge, and strode forward into the devastating aura. The pain hammered at her as wide swaths of skin on her arms and body crinkled and died, turning first gray, then black, then red as the decay spread to her tissues, and blood spurted from broken vessels into the gaps. Life filled her, but she did not channel it into herself, even as her injuries grew more serious, and the black tendrils began to lash at her face. She closed her eyes and thrust forward, to the core of the blackness, and unleashed the fullness of her power, the awesome potency of pure, golden life, into Licinius Varo. The true resurrection spell cut away the darkness around him, and the black surges fell back with an inhuman, unnatural scream.

Allera stumbled back, her body covered with gruesome wounds. She tried to cast a spell, but the healing power felt burned out of her. She fell to the ground, clinging desperately to consciousness. Her vision was damaged; one of the black tendrils had carved through her right eye, killing it, and a blood vessel had burst in the other, clouding her vision and giving everything she saw a garish red tint.

She was able to raise her head just in time to see Orcus strike down Dar. She reached out a hand toward her lover, and tried to push herself up, to speak, to summon her magic. But all of her efforts failed, and she could only watch as Orcus turned back toward them, the evil black sword pulsing in its hand as it continued toward Varo.

It had all been for naught. The healer sobbed, blood oozing from the rents in her skin with every breath she took, each one dragging her closer and closer to the inevitable.

Cerulean_Wings

First Post
It's all riding on Varo and Allera's gate now. I wonder what he's going to pull out from it!

That true resurrection was used as a counter to the black fire, whatever it was. It better be worth it :\

jensun

First Post
I'm guessing at the following sequence:

Varo re-opens the Gate and summons Solar.

Solar Mass Heals party/True Ressurects Dar

Orcus kills Solar

Party pwn Orcus in the face.

Also, whats Letallia doing during all this?

wolff96

First Post
jensun said:
Also, whats Letallia doing during all this?

Apparently, she's just chillin'.

The last we saw of her (two weeks back? Something like that) she was trying to get up off the floor, about to come under attack by a pair of zombies.

Granted, LB has some kind of death-grudge against arcane casters, but one would hope that she can do SOMETHING versus Orcus. Even if it's just to die horribly, buying Varo one more round to do... whatever. That would be about par for the course for an arcanist around here... ;)

Gotta give you grief, LB. Waiting to see how they pull a rabbit out of their collective hats this time around... Not much time left and only two animate party members that I can see.

Lazybones

Adventurer
wolff96 said:
Apparently, she's just chillin'.

The last we saw of her (two weeks back? Something like that) she was trying to get up off the floor, about to come under attack by a pair of zombies.

Granted, LB has some kind of death-grudge against arcane casters, but one would hope that she can do SOMETHING versus Orcus. Even if it's just to die horribly, buying Varo one more round to do... whatever. That would be about par for the course for an arcanist around here... ;)

Gotta give you grief, LB. Waiting to see how they pull a rabbit out of their collective hats this time around... Not much time left and only two animate party members that I can see.
By now, wolff, I'm killing them just to razz you. :D

Letellia may have a role yet to play in this whole train wreck. First, let's find out what's up with Varo.

Chapter 364

TRANSFORMATION

Varo had clung to the gate with every last reserve of determination that he had possessed. The deadly power raging around him had savaged his body, but he perceived it only a distant distraction, focused on what he was feeling through the connection he had forced through the barrier into the reality beyond. In some ways, the jarring adjustment had been more devastating than the tangible attacks upon his person, and he had quailed before them as his fundamental understanding of everything shifted to a new paradigm.

He was dimly aware of Allera, his other companions, Dar and Letellia, of Orcus and it all, the violence of the resistance that the constructed demiplane and the Demon’s power was unleashing against the intrusion that the gate represented. For a moment he teetered on the edge of oblivion, unable to fight both battles at once, and was nearly torn apart by the tearing of his consciousness under the strain between his physical existence and that of his new alternative perception.

And then Allera touched him, and drove away the darkness. In that instant, clarity came. He understood truth.

Orcus surged forward. The Demon had taken swift action to collapse the gate, but it had not recognized the full depth of the threat until now. Orcus moved with surprising speed, covering the twenty feet that separated them in just a few massive strides. The black sword it bore was no ordinary weapon, but an artifact in its own right. The Demon lacked the bond it had possessed with its Wand, but the Sword of Kas represented a power almost as great. The weapon was both intelligent and willful, and it struggled against the Demon’s will, but Orcus was able to master it, even diminished as it was. The black blade had tasted the blood of a powerful foe when Orcus had slain the human fighter, and now it hungered for more, for the utter destruction of these mortals that had dared to defy a god.

Through the gate, Varo received an offer. For the first time in over twenty years, he felt no doubt, no hesitation, and accepted.

Orcus reached the cleric and brought the black sword down in a devastating arc. A guttural, animal noise issued from its inhuman jaws.

There was a flash of golden light, and a clarion sound like the ringing of a great bell pulsed through the chamber as the black sword struck something. Orcus, caught off guard, actually took a step back.

When the flare had faded, the Demon faced off against a transformed opponent.

The gate was gone. Licinius Varo was surrounded by a soft golden glow, an inner light that formed a bright nimbus around his entire body. A blazing, almost insubstantial sword of golden light shone in his right hand, and the wounds that had covered his body were gone. His eyes had become two golden orbs, which glittered as they stared upon the Demon. He seemed to swell as the man and demon confronted each other across the field of shattered bones, growing as the power filled him, until he stood almost ten feet tall. The Demon still loomed well over him, half-again his size and many times his weight, but somehow the two seemed almost akin as they faced off.

SO. THE LORDS OF HEAVEN HAVE CHOSEN YOU AS THEIR CHAMPION, VARO? YOU HAVE FOUGHT WELL, AND YOUR STRUGGLES HAVE CHALLENGED ME AS FEW HAVE BEFORE. BUT IT IS ULTIMATELY IN VAIN. EVEN AS A PARAGON, YOU REMAIN MORTAL.

Varo spoke. His words were quiet, calm, but they carried easily, resounding in the mind of the Demon almost as its own words had carried their own mental echo earlier.

“I am only what I am, demon. And you, too, are not invincible. The essence of what you are may survive your destruction here, cast back into the Abyss, perhaps to regenerate into another form in a thousand years. But know this; if you then return, in a thousand years, or a thousand thousands, those mortals that you hold in such contempt will stand together to resist you, and to cast you back down once more.”

Orcus’s lips drew back into a feral snarl. YOUR KIND HAVE BEEN MY TOOLS FOR A HUNDRED GENERATIONS. MAN IS A WEAK, TREMULOUS THING, DRIVEN BY RAW NEEDS THAT CAN NEVER BE SATISFIED. YOU SCURRY ABOUT FOR YOUR FEW SCORE YEARS, IN A TERROR AT THE MORTAILTY YOU KNOW IS INESCAPABLE. YOU INVENT MYTHS TO JUSTIFY YOUR FEEBLENESS, TO JUSTIFY THE EMPTINESS INSIDE THAT IS YOUR CONSTANT COMPANION. YOU PREY UPON EACH OTHER AND EVERYTHING ELSE WITH WHICH YOU COME INTO CONTACT. YOU ARE A CANCER UPON YOUR WORLD, AN EMPTY SHELL, FIT ONLY TO SERVE AS THE PATHETIC PLAYTHINGS FOR BEINGS SUCH AS I. I AM THE SHADOW IN THE NIGHT, THE FEARS OF MAN MADE MANIFEST. I AM ETERNAL. I AM A GOD.

Varo’s gaze was almost pitying. “You are a demon, an exile seeking to recover a lost realm. You may have once been powerful, but you are weakened, your home stolen from you, your temples broken, your precious wand sundered. Where are your legions? Why do you not open portals to bring more demons to your cause? Are a pair of sickly old mariliths the best you can do? Where are the countless undead you profess to rule? When I saw that your defenders included skeletons and zombies, I knew that your powers had been pressed to their limit in your war against my people. Your desperation is revealed in each attack you make upon Camar, for it is only in our destruction that you can preserve what you are. You need to win here, and win decisively. Falter here, and even without our victory you will be dragged down by your rivals, to serve for aeons untold in a state of penury and servitude. You are, in the ultimate reckoning, a sorry thing, a sad wretch of a being, with neither purpose nor pleasure in your existence.”

Orcus’s lips drew back into a feral snarl. YOUR DESTRUCTION WILL MARK THE DEATH OF YOUR RACE!

Orcus lunged forward with surprising speed, lashing the black sword down in a long arc that trailed lines of vaprous dark energy through the air in its wake. Varo brought up his own weapon, and the sword of light struck the dark with a loud clang and flash of energies. Orcus shifted at once, driving the sword down in a potent overhand stroke, but again the cleric shifted and parried it, stepping away from the cutting swath of the weapon. Varo did not counterattack, instead shifting back and recovering his defensive stance. The cleric moved with a calm economy of motion, his movements only slightly encumbered by the bulk of his heavy armor, his enhanced speed matching the sheer power of the Demon.

Orcus took a moment to recenter as well, gauging its opponent. But that interval lasted only a fraction of a second, and before Varo could deliberate further, it was attacking again. This time Orcus opened with a spell-power, hurling a dark cloud of magic at the paragon cleric. The fell magic dissolved against the golden aura that surrounded him, but it distracted him for a moment, allowing Orcus to get within reach and unleash another violent series of attacks with the black sword. Again the blades clashed in a frenzy of energetic surges, noise and light and power flaring around the two combatants. This time, each inflicted damage upon the other. Varo managed a counterattack that drew a bright line across the Demon’s torso, opening a shallow gash that oozed a thin trail of pustulent ichor. Orcus, however, took advantage of the cleric’s attack, smashing its sword over the guard of his shield, hitting hard against his shoulder-guard in almost the same place it had struck Dar a few minutes previous. The blow had a telling effect, but the golden aura surrounding the cleric provided some obvious degree of physical protection, for while it drove him back, the dark blade failed to penetrate his armor.

Orcus feinted another attack, forcing Varo into another defensive stance before it paused to draw upon more of its magic, bolstering its own protections. The dark aura of death that hung about the Demon had no effect upon Varo, while likewise the golden radiance surrounding him did not hinder his foe. Their respective powers, one innate, one gifted, seemed roughly matched, and likewise their potent weapons were balanced with a nearly equal potential for wreaking destruction upon the other.

The two foes came in again, dealing devastating blows in a frenetic exchange of attacks. Varo’s strength had grown beyond that of a giant, and the sword he bore opened long gashes in the Demon’s bloated body, its divine potency proof against the corrupt nature of the arch-fiend. But the cuts were shallow, and Orcus’s stamina seemed inexhaustible as drops of black ichor fell from the wounds to hiss violently upon the floor around them.

Orcus’s counterattacks were not lacking in effect. The Demon was even stronger than Varo, a massive strength deceptively concealed within its distended torso and thick limbs. The black sword it bore cut through the paragon cleric’s defenses, flaring with small explosions of black energy and golden light as it ripped through his aura and tore into his plate armor. That suit, enchanted to great potency, withstood several attacks that would have otherwise killed him, but the pounding he took was driving him steadily back, as the exchange of attacks continued. Both of them were regenerating, Varo’s aura feeding him with new strength, while the wounds covering Orcus’s body slowly knitting shut as the Demon’s own black radiance swirled around it. But the beating they were dishing out was inflicting new hurts faster than their respective powers could restore them. Varo lunged for the Demon’s arm as it mashed its blade hard into Varo’s already-mangled shield, trying for a disarm, but Orcus smashed its damaged right hand into Varo’s face, hitting him solidly and forcing him back several unsteady steps. Blood was visible under the front of his helmet; the crude but powerful punch had broken his nose.

YOU GROW WEAK, HUMAN, Orcus pronounced. SOON, YOU WILL BE MINE.

Varo snarled and rushed forward, driving his brilliant sword deep into the Demon’s body. Orcus screamed as the holy light riming the blade seared its flesh, but the demon did not draw back, and too late Varo realized that he’d been lured in. He brought his shield up just in time to meet the black sword. The magical steel, already sorely battered, crumpled, and as the straps parted the shield was flung down, narrowly missing his foot as it smashed onto the ground and bounced away. Within the protective aura of his transformation Varo was shielded to some degree from pain, but he could not ignore the demon’s almost instantaneous follow, which came crashing down onto the now-exposed arm just below the shoulder. Somehow his armor held, but the greave crumpled, and the bone beneath cracked loudly as it gave way.

His face twisted into a mask of determination and anger, Varo pushed harder on the hilt of the embedded sword with his good hand, thrusting it deeper into the Demon’s body. Orcus roared again, but like the cleric, the Prince of the Undead could take pain, and it had not yet used up its cache of surprises.

The Demon thrust at Varo with its damaged hand, forcing them apart. Varo maintained his grasp on his sword, which sputtered with demonic ichor as it slid out of the terrible wound in Orcus’s torso. Orcus started to turn away, and Varo lifted the sword to strike again, aiming for its suddenly exposed left knee. Orcus seemed to hesitate, giving the cleric a free attack. But as the golden sword sliced down, Orcus unleashed its own attack, snapping its body around, and lashing its hook-ended tail into the cleric’s chest. The deadly, poisoned barb at the end of the tail pierced Varo’s armor just above his right breast, and as it jerked back a trail of bright crimson glistened on its black head.

Varo staggered back, his attack aborted, as the Demon’s virulent toxin wracked his body. His enhanced constitution was enough to keep him alive, but the assault cost him a precious few seconds of distraction, a diversion that Orcus put to good use as the Demon brought down the Sword of Kas. The black sword crashed into the brow of Varo’s helmet with enough force to dent the magical steel, and Varo was driven roughly to the ground, his protective aura flickering desperately around him.

The Demon’s laughter swelled around it as it stepped forward to put an end to it. Varo, stunned, clutched at his sword, but his fingers slipped around the hilt, and he could do little more than watch as Orcus loomed high over him, lifting its sword high above its head.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads