D&D General The Dragon Queen's Consorts (Lore question)

dave2008

Legend
I am working on my final post before I take a break from EnWorld until some time early next year. As one might guess from my avatar, that final post is going to be my third and ultimate attempt at Tiamat. Beyond just the statblock I normally make, I am include lore, lair actions, and regional effects. As part of this final post of 2023 I am thinking have adding info / statblocks about her five consorts too.

Traditionally Tiamat is described as having 5 consorts, one ancient dragon of each chromatic type (black, blue, green, red, & white). Other than that I don't know much about them. I am happy to create my own lore for each of these, but I didn't know if there were any official or semi-official lore on her consorts already. If so, I would appreciate the communities help in pointing me in the right direction. Also, if you have your own lore and your willing to share, I would love to hear it! Thank you for your time and help!

PS - This sounds like a great prompt for Chatgpt for those are familiar with such things (which I am not)

EDIT: For any that are interested, her is the draft of my lore for Tiamat (no consort info yet): The Chromatic Dragon (Tiamat)

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas to improve it, feel free to comment here or in the other thread. Thanks!

Last edited:

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I'd imagine that Tiamat has had many who have held the mantle of consort throughout history. I know of at least two Red Dragon consorts he had, the first being Ephelomon that @Veltharis ap Rylix mentions, as well as Dragotha who would later becomes a Dracolich in the service of Kyuss. He's even one of the suggested patrons for Undead Warlocks.

I've also seen other names brought up when mentioning Consorts but I haven't found any other information.

dave2008

Legend
I do want to clarify that old lore is fine. I could easily just provide 5 representative consorts. They don't have to be her current consorts. Additionally, I imagine one of the gifts Tiamat gives her consorts is the immortality (in the since that they don't age), so an old consort could be the current consort. I imagine she replaces them when the displease her or the die in battle, age is no barrier to service.

dave2008

Legend
I forgot to summon @Matrix Sorcica! Matrix, any ideas on the OP (Tiamat's consorts)? You are always a wealth of D&D knowledge.

EDIT: I see you already answered some of this over at RPG.net:

"There's the dragonborn Kasarus from 4E's Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons. There's also an unnamed runescribed dracolich from the same book.

Then there's Quanathrik, a blue dragon from Scales of War (dungeon 175). From the same issue, there's an unnamed runescribed dracolich. You have Namissi from Dungeon 174, a blue consort (She likes 'em blue). Just from the top of my memory..."

Well hello there :)

I think my answer is the same as on rpg.net. I can't recall other consorts. Now, there's a number of exarchs, if that has any interest?

And what is that about a break from ENWorld?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I do want to clarify that old lore is fine. I could easily just provide 5 representative consorts. They don't have to be her current consorts. Additionally, I imagine one of the gifts Tiamat gives her consorts is the immortality (in the since that they don't age), so an old consort could be the current consort. I imagine she replaces them when the displease her or the die in battle, age is no barrier to service.
The five-headed dragon is a bit fickle, so I can see her dropping a consort (HARD) on a whim.

The most detailed lore work on chromatic dragons was done in the Dragonlance setting IMO. I would look to how they characterize the different types to envision consorts. I would think that any consort of Tiamat would be representative of their sort of dragon in general.

Remove ads