• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dungeon Masters' Foundation Mk.II

I think from now on, off-topic stuff should be exclusively contained within spoilers (using [ sblock]).

[sblock]Sorry to hear about the cats :( . Hopefully the other cats are doing well[/sblock]

I'm toying with the idea of starting a homebrew setting. I've got a few notes about a town and the surrounding forest, etc. If I run into any snags (or just get something really good) I'll post it.

While I'm thinking about it:

Our Newest Member: Kashell

Hey, does that chainmail come in bikinis?

Last edited:

Kashell

First Post
No, the chainmail only comes in the form of email or letters.

I was actually wondering... what is considered a large dungeon?

Relatively speaking of course, as some dungeons are very vague "30 rooms of bugbear homes" and as some are very specific, "5 rooms of a barracks, three consisting of secret rooms, and the remaining two rooms with poison traps on the doors"

I am working on a rather large dungeon (very very specific, running 70+ rooms).

What is considered a small dungeon and what is considered a large dungeon?

Kashell said:
What is considered a small dungeon and what is considered a large dungeon?
I think it's fairly subjective. I consider a large dungeon one that the PCs should take 3 or more sessions to complete. A small dungeon can be completed in one session or less. (My sessions are at least 4 hours, just for reference).

Daesumnor

First Post
I wish to sumbit myself before the glorious DMF for membership. I am only a new DM (have so far hosted 3 D&D sessions, but created everything from scratch). I Hope that I will grow and exapnd in experience under the watchful eyes of the council =)

Xen155

First Post
Hmmm, Lets see. Worst thing I've done to players. oh man, wow.
Well, at night I once metioned to post watches (no caster) so a couple 2nd level rouges dont take all of their amazing Items (one of wich was the Solars Sword), but did they listen no (quite literaly they didn't any of them invest skill points in listen!) So I had a couple rouges still EVERYTHING they owned while they were asleep, Including the High Holy Symbol they were returning to the church of Bane. Man, good times.

Campaign
[sblock]
We should decide, once and for all, how fast we are gonna actually play the game[/sblock]

Nightcloak

First Post
Back into the frey!

First off:
[SBLOCK] What a night. The poor cat has its side shaved with stiches sticking out in the center. At least the tumor is 99% removed. He's all wobbly and keeps giving me that "How could you look". The tumors are off to MSU and we'll know more in a week when I take the little guy back in for a follow up.

Thanks Mord, and yes the other two cats are doing well. [/SBLOCK]

Back on topic!

Welcome Kashell and Daesumnor to the DMF!

39 members and counting!!!

@ Kashell: Size of dungeons are subjective depending on what you and your group likes. Personally, I run games sessions of about 4 hours like MtM and consider a one session dungeon to be small, 2 to 3 session dungeons to be medium, and 4 to 6 session dungeons to be large. Anything larger goes into the "Undermountain" catagory of the dungeon being the campaign.

Nightcloak

First Post
Rat Bastard Dungeon Master Story #1

Warning! Long post…

Let me pull up a chair, place the trusty staff known as “Big Stick 2000” by the fireplace, pull out my pipe and hobbit weed and contemplate some great tales of yore. *Puff* *Puff*

So many great stories, so few hours to closing time. Fine memories all. To what tales dare be told at this fine hour? *Puff*

Ah… Laerethen the Souless:

A fine group of five characters of 17th level find themselves on an epic quest to rid the land of a great curse. They learn that to reverse the curse they need mighty magics lost to man for the final battle with a Fendish Great Wyrm that presides over the font of the curse. Further, they will need a rare elven magic of lore, known as soul magic, to reverse the curse. The good news is that one place holds all they need to complete their quest! The bad news is that such awesome power resides in one locale: The Tower of Madness. The Tower is a prison hidden by gods and fiends alike in the middle of Limbo. A rare and uncharted branch of the river Styx can lead you there if you can justify your cause to the boatman. This prison was designed in a rare moment of cooperation by the hosts of heaven and hell to lock away that which was truly criminal or powerful in nature. The characters learn that the artifacts they seek are hidden in sub-complexes in the dimensional tower known as “cells”. Also, the worst of the worst monsters have been locked away do to ghastly crimes. At the very top of the tower rests the library where the soul magic resides.

Many quests, one tower in limbo, and a fully decked out and very experienced group go heads in. Many battles they face. Much blood is poured. Mind flayers so criminal they scared their own kind. Fallen Solars. An arachnomancer that failed to overthrow Lolth. But then the group arrives at the holding “cell” of Laerethen the Souless.

A fairly empty complex gets the characters laughing when an eye tyrant floats in. The confident high-level characters casually roll initiative and wonder off to grab a few drinks.

The first round goes something like this:
PC1: I won initiative! I tumble out of the eye arc and to its side and dice it.
Me: There is no central eye, but you tumble to its side. You hit. Roll damage.
PC2: No central eye? What kind of weird spin-off is this? But that’s fine, I’ll lightning bolt it.
Me: You cast the spell, but it doesn’t go off. It literally dies at completion.
PC2: WTF? I spend my hasted action on a spellcraft check. What happened? Am I in an anti-magic field?
Me: No, you’re not. It used its ready action to counter the spell.
PC2: !?!?!?!?
PC3: I spend an action doing a knowledge check (don’t remember which one)
DM: You don’t know, but I’ll give you the knowledge (Undead) check instead. It’s missing its front eye because it is quite dead. It’s skin sags and there is an evil glow of red from within the empty socket.
PC3: NO! That cannot be a lich!
Me: Eye #1, magic missile
PCs: What?
Eye #2, Lightning Bolt
PCs: Hey!
Eye#3: Empowered Haste
PCs: WHAT?!?!
Eye#4: Horrid Wilting
PCs: WTF!

It got ugly after that. But the PCs prevailed! Yes, they defeated the 8th level mage (MoF Prestige Class) Beholder Lich. Lots of cheering ensued. Along with that “You Bastard” look I was getting accustomed to in that tower. Time to loot the dead! The PC’s clean out the place, including many gems, much gold, ye ole’ portable hole, a fancy magical sword with a silver blade etched with elven runes and leather pommel cover. The beholders spell book, and a ring of gold set with a glowing ruby.

Then the cleric came upon a most troubling thought. That was a lich. His phylactery is somewhere about, and if we don’t destroy it, it’ll comeback again. A hunt ensues but nothing extra is found. The Archmage then hits upon the idea of casting see invisibility and scans the room. Lore! An invisible body sits in a corner. He searches the body and finds a diamond the size of a grown mans head!

Surely, that is the phylactery. But a fight erupts over what to do. The rogue appraises the diamond and finds its value to be 250,000 gps. Half the group does not want to destroy the diamond and lose all that wealth only to learn it was not the phylactery. Finally, the wizard (after a long debate in RL) decides to cast detect magic. The book is magical, so is the ring, the sword, one of the gems, but not the diamond. A spellcraft check reveals the diamond would be the perfect phylactery. But there is no magic. More debate. More arguing.

Finally, to keep the piece, the diamond, the glowing gem, the ring, and the magic book are put in the portable hole for safe keeping. The treasure is given to the rogue (also know as the treasure monkey) while the sword is thrown to the dwarven fighter.

The group leaves the “cell” and journeys on to complete their quest (but as they say, that is another tale)

Several months later, the group is still questing back in the Prime World. They know that the ring was a RoP +4. The gem was a unique gem of wisdom. The sword was an undeadbane ("now we find out!") the book has hidden mysteries on it and the diamond seems plain enough (beyond its value). Unfortunately, the group still doesn’t trust the book or the sword so all that knowledge and wealth sits in the other dimension of the portable hole.

After leaving a crypt, the group passes the entrance were some undead lie in a state of road kill (the sword finally did its job). One body looked to have exploded from within. One Knowledge (Undead) check later reveals that a lich raised from the body recently.

Complete silence.

The group panics then looks at the diamond, the ring, and the book. Everything is fine. A spot check reveals the fighter’s sword no longer glows. The Archmage does a full knowledge sweep of the weapon. Nothing.

Archmage: Hey [fighter], what does this pommel cover protect?
Fighter: * Shrugs* I don’t know. Doesn’t matter. It’s just a magic sword with fluff text.
Archmage * Shudder * I pull the pummel guard off.
Me: There is a darkened gem held in place by silver claws.
AM: * Horror * Spellcraft check please.
Me: * Evil grin * it use to be enchanted to act as a phylactery. But it was a limited one that would channel the trapped soul through the blade when specific conditions were met.
Players: D’oh!!!

Oh… but is gets better.

PC1: What have we done?
PC2: Helped an insane epic level abomination find a new home. Ours.
PC3: Wait a minute, why did it want us to carry it around?
SEVERAL PCs: * Groan * Because it couldn’t leave! It was a prisoner! It took a dive and used us to escape.

And that’s how 5 high level characters helped a beholder lich mage escape from his prison of millennia.

I almost cry when I think of the looks on their faces…

God I love this game! :D

Undermountain is too big to be a dungeon, it's a demiplane! I have to say that I really hate mapping dungeons. I really should buy a mapping program, but funds are short right now :heh: . I prefer forests, chasms (sp?), and pretty much anything outdoors. I'll do dungeons occasionally, but I tend to keep them short (no more than 3 sessions).

[sblock]My fiancee really wants to get a cat. I haven't had the best experience with them (apparently my fingers taste like catnip), but I'll have to warm up[/sblock]

Remove ads