• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dungeon That Always Was...

Scribble

First Post
Have any of you ever ran a campaign that was set in a giant dungeon?

Like... an entire world set in one big underground man made (not the underdark) complex. Characters have just always lived there.

Maybe there's an above ground world, but most don't know about it.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Scribble said:
Have any of you ever ran a campaign that was set in a giant dungeon?

Like... an entire world set in one big underground man made (not the underdark) complex. Characters have just always lived there.

Maybe there's an above ground world, but most don't know about it.

Two that I know of:
-World's Largest Dungeon
-Dungeon World

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Scribble said:
Is that the premise of WLD? I've never actually looked through it. I've never even heard of DW... :-/

Dungeon World is a campaign setting that was created by (the now defunct) Fast Forward Games. It's not complete in the sense that it details "pockets" of an underground world, not each and every location.

As for the WLD, the premise is basically that it's a place that those who enter generally do not leave (though there are a couple of ways), so you have creatures which have been in there all of their lives.

Unlike Dungeon World, the World's Largest Dungeon *is* fully mapped and there are encounters listed for every room.

Scribble

First Post
wmasters said:
Is that not just the Underdark?

I don't own any FR source books for the 3.x edition, so unless it's changed, the underdark used to be a sort of naturally occuring giant cavern sort of thing...

The idea I was thinking about was a man (or monster) made complex. All worked stone (at least mostly.)

Sort of Underdark like, but with the added mythology of who built it, for what purpose, and why are there things living there...

Scribble

First Post
Matafuego said:
Like The Cube?
Well... bigger and longer lasting...

Yeah kind of... Except not so bad movie like. :p

Well, except for the first scene, whoch was the best one... then it got all crummy actored up. :D

Sleepy Voiced

First Post
There is the theosophic (I think) underground world of Agarttha. The idea is that the true rulers of the world live there, it stretches out under the entirety of the globe. I think the capital city is Shamballah.
I don't really know much about this concept and the mythology behind it, I just read a little about it in Umberto Eco's book "Foucault's Pendulum".
Is that the type of thing you are looking for?

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
The main moon of my campaign world is riddled with caverns and tunnels, in a kind of massive never ending dungeon. The surface is airless and lifeless. I've never detailed it out (never had the need) but that was my intent. In previous versions of my campaign, the Drow were based there; in the current version I've thought of having the Unseelie have a major base there. I haven't decided.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads