• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Economy of Actions in 5e

kevtar

First Post
I recently changed from a 4th edition campaign with a group of 4-5 players to playing 1st edition with my family (my wife, son and daughter). My daughter played D&D periodically through 3.5 and 4e. My sons (only one lives at home now), started playing D&D when 3.5 was introduced. This is my wife's first foray into D&D since her inaugural approach when we were dating in 1990 (she played a gnome acrobat for one session and decided it wasn't for her.

However, we are, as a family playing D&D together. I'm DMing a group with a well-versed player (my son), a somewhat familiar player (my daughter), and a new-comer (my wife). We decided to play 1st edition because my son wanted to see D&D "from my eyes" - he wasn't that "classic" D&D experience - as if playing 1st edition would give him some of the magic I felt playing the game "back in the day." That assumption is the topic for another post, because what I wanted to focus on was what players do in the game.

In 4e, we had two broad categories of actions:

(a) actions on your turn

Standard, Move, Minor and Free Actions

(b) actions on someone else's turn
Immediate interrupts, opportunity actions, and immediate reactions

However, in 1st edition, actions are much less defined. In our 1st edition game experience, our game play is "fast and light" - combat happens quickly, players cycle through their turns easily and there isn't a lot of tactical thinking going on (yes, we do use minis). This has it's pros and cons.

Pros
Combat is resolved before it becomes boring, players are "on their toes" because there is less "down time" between plays, and it's easy for a new comer to absorb - "I attack with my sword" or "I cast a spell"

Cons
Combat can be repetitive - which means it can sometimes feel monotonous, combat is simple - which means it can be less compelling, things can be a little "fuzzy" - "can I do this on my turn" or "how does this work?"

One more aspect of this kind of play is that I describe as both/neither a pro/con is that it can place the DM in a larger role as the adjudicator. She/he decides whether an action is possible, legal, fair, etc... Some DMs like this, others would prefer that this level of specificity be handled by the rules.

How should actions be handled in 5e?

Personally, I would like to see the core rule set have the following actions as the core actions for the game: Standard, Move, Minor, and Free. Everything else, IMO, should be optional. My reasoning is simply this:

1) New players to the game can better manage a short list of actions in the game
2) It keeps the pace of combat quick
3) It keeps things simple enough to understand, but allows for some tactical complexity as well
4) The range of actions can accommodate most actions a PC needs in combat

Anything above and beyond these kinds of actions should be optional. In essence, actions that occur on someone else's turn (apart from free actions), should be optional and taken at the players' level of comfort with the game.

For instance, I like opportunity attacks, and I would most likely add them in my game if that was an option - but some people might not want them. However, I'm not crazy about immediate interrupts and immediate reactions. In my experience, that slows down combat due to either players taking the time to complete the actions, or begging me to allow them one turn later because they forgot they had that particular power, lol.

In any case, I'm wondering how people here feel about what kinds of actions should be included as core and if any should be included as optional. If so, what are the ramifications of having some actions optional? For instance, if a monster is designed with the core assumption of their only be standard, move, minor, and free actions - does the monster become less of a threat when immediate interrupts, opportunity actions, and immediate reactions are introduced?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I would try to simplify it as much as possible. Does there really need to be 4 types of actions on your turn? Do we even need types of actions?

Indeed, what's wrong with something like, your character can simply do what you can describe in one sentence (maximum of one "and")?

"I draw my sword and whack the orc with it"

or

"I sneak behind the orc and stab him in the back"

Frostmarrow

First Post
"I draw my sword, attach a rope to it, throw it at the orc, reel him in, pull my sword out, slash at the orc's head, drop my sword, pull out my bow, and shoot at the approaching ogre."

On your turn you get to roll one die*. So in your example above the DM would say "roll to hit" right about here: "throw it at the orc".

* I hope you get to roll one die. I'm not fan of multiple actions, iterative attacks or even opportunity attacks. In my ideal game you get one die per round. I want people to act fast (so they can act again) rather than act slow to get the most out of several actions.

kevtar

First Post
On your turn you get to roll one die*. So in your example above the DM would say "roll to hit" right about here: "throw it at the orc".

* I hope you get to roll one die. I'm not fan of multiple actions, iterative attacks or even opportunity attacks. In my ideal game you get one die per round. I want people to act fast (so they can act again) rather than act slow to get the most out of several actions.

I'm in a similar camp, although I don't mind a combination of actions because I tend to enjoy a more tactical game, and I think the combination of a standard, minor and move provides me with enough options for some tactical complexity. I think one die per turn is reasonable, if I can have a move and minor action as well :)

FireLance

Legend
Based on what I've read from Legends and Lore and the blogs, at the most basic level (excluding any advanced modules, for example), you only get one action on your turn. However, you can also get free actions.

To replicate the effect of the move action, there could be a rule along the lines of: "As a free action on your turn, you can move your speed or shift 1 square." This allows characters to be mobile without raising questions of what to do with your move action if you don't actually move.

Minor actions could probably translate into free actions without too much difficulty. There was some reference to giving high-level fighters extra attacks per round as free actions, so what you can do as a free action could be quite substantial.

The equivalent of dazed could limit you to just your one action (no free actions on your turn).

Doug McCrae

Legend
I'm in a similar camp, although I don't mind a combination of actions because I tend to enjoy a more tactical game, and I think the combination of a standard, minor and move provides me with enough options for some tactical complexity. I think one die per turn is reasonable, if I can have a move and minor action as well :)
I think you can have just as much tactical complexity with only a move and a standard, provided there are sufficient interesting options for the standard action. Without minor actions you'll be able to fit more rounds in, so it all balances out in terms of decision points, it's just that turns go by faster, so the game is more interactive.

Frostmarrow

First Post

Well you can do whatever you like. It's the check that matters. If you say I draw my sword, travel the world in 80 days, and hack the orc with my sword; it's the to hit roll that matters. (Unless of course you need to make a check during your world round trip).

In Blood Bowl (a fantasy football game) you can activate players one by one up until you fail a check. When you fail the check your turn ends. This is similar. You can do what you want but once you've made your check your turn ends.

One might argue that it's illogical for me to draw my sword, rummage through my pack, quaff a potion, and then hack the orc with my sword. But it's also risky, since the DM can call for a search check while rummaging.

One can also argue that some players might get away with a whole lot of rummaging that another player won't. But this is what empowering the DM means.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Based on what I've read from Legends and Lore and the blogs, at the most basic level (excluding any advanced modules, for example), you only get one action on your turn. However, you can also get free actions.

To replicate the effect of the move action, there could be a rule along the lines of: "As a free action on your turn, you can move your speed or shift 1 square." This allows characters to be mobile without raising questions of what to do with your move action if you don't actually move.

Minor actions could probably translate into free actions without too much difficulty. There was some reference to giving high-level fighters extra attacks per round as free actions, so what you can do as a free action could be quite substantial.

The equivalent of dazed could limit you to just your one action (no free actions on your turn).

Yes Move and minor actions could be removed and replaced as limited free actions. Move actions are only used to move 90% of the time. 4E minor actions are either mostly limited once a turn or so weak in power that they could be free.

So you only need Full Round, Standard, and Free in core.

Full Round:
Cast most spells
Run
Run away
Retreat
Total Defense

Standard:
Administer a potion for someone else
Aid another
Attack someone
Cast minor spell
Equip a shield
Fight defensively
Perform a limited free action again

Limited Free:
Drink a potion
Move up to your speed (once per turn is free)
Special movement (once per turn is free)
Load a weapon (once per turn is free)
Make an bonus attack (times based on level)
Open/Close a door (twice per turn is free)
Equip/Stow an item or weapon (once per turn is free)
Sustain a spell (times based on level)

Unlimited Free:
Drop a held item
End a spell/stance
Talk

I like the 4E combo of "standard, move, minor" as a way of keeping things simple. If it had stayed at that, without all of the interrupts, actions, reactions, etc it would have been fine.

The "roll one die" rule is pretty simple, though.

Remove ads