• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The economy of Milestones?

xjermx

First Post
The way I understand it, you achieve a "milestone" for every two combat encounters you go through between extended rests.

If this is correct, I wonder at the economics of it.

While I can see a party raiding a Drow prison as meeting this economy, I can also think of tons of situations in which the party is likely to bump into one or two combats over a day's time, whether they like it or not?

But that's just me thinking of it in terms that I'm accustomed to.

Let's imagine an overland journey between two cities that takes three or four days, or the same journey through the underdark. I'd throw a few encounters at them, but such circumstances don't lend themselves to long strings of battles between slumber parties.

I'm not criticizing anything really, I guess just asking... am I missing something? Is this bit of the game just geared toward frantic and fast paced fight after fight in places infested with monsters?

Last edited:

Simplicity

Explorer
The whole point of milestones is to provide a mechanic which lengthens the standard adventuring day. Daily powers refresh every day. So, if the party is on a long-term journey, there's never really an issue with them having the resources to continue. They're always full up on powers and action points. If, on the other hand, the party has just fought their way through 20 kobolds, they may be feeling a bit spent. An extra action point and/or magic item use may be just what they need to keep going as opposed to setting up camp.

Setting up camp is boring. It should happen less often.

Simplicity said:
The whole point of milestones is to provide a mechanic which lengthens the standard adventuring day. Daily powers refresh every day. So, if the party is on a long-term journey, there's never really an issue with them having the resources to continue. They're always full up on powers and action points. If, on the other hand, the party has just fought their way through 20 kobolds, they may be feeling a bit spent. An extra action point and/or magic item use may be just what they need to keep going as opposed to setting up camp.

Setting up camp is boring. It should happen less often.

OK, but since you can only use 1 daily ability of an item per milestone no matter how many items you have if a 8th level character has 3, and goes 6 games without multi encounters then he is SOL on his items

Obryn

Hero
GMforPowergamers said:
OK, but since you can only use 1 daily ability of an item per milestone no matter how many items you have if a 8th level character has 3, and goes 6 games without multi encounters then he is SOL on his items
No, if it's a daily power it will refresh after an extended rest.

-O

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads