• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Eldritch Knight...what am I missing?

Prism

Explorer
What if you wanted to do a pretty even mix of blasting and melee? Would EK 10/wizard 10 be too gimpy?

You probably want to go EK 11/Wiz 9 to get three attacks and 5th level spells (12th level caster) or EK 7/Wiz 13 (to use green-flame blade or booming blade with a bonus extra attack from war magic) and 7th level spells (15th level caster). Second option is probably stronger and more flexible (7th level spells) of the two

What if you wanted to do a pretty even mix of blasting and melee? Would EK 10/wizard 10 be too gimpy?

You lose your third attack and gain a 7th level spell slot, which you can't really use effectively for anything except Planar Binding. EK 11/Wizard 9 seems much stronger to me.

But I think multiclassing for "blasting" is a mistake. Fighters generally do better damage than wizards already. You go wizard for control (Hypnotic Pattern, Bestow Curse, etc.). If you genuinely want to be a blaster, just go straight EK 20 and enjoy your Fireballs on demand on top of Action Surged Sharpshooting x4 + Improved War Magic extra attack.

You probably want to go EK 11/Wiz 9 to get three attacks and 5th level spells (12th level caster) or EK 7/Wiz 13 (to use green-flame blade or booming blade with a bonus extra attack from war magic) and 7th level spells (15th level caster). Second option is probably stronger and more flexible (7th level spells) of the two

The second option is okay, but at that point you might as well just be a Fighter 2/Wizard 18 fighting with Booming Blade. A single bonus attack isn't enough to be worth pumping ASIs into it so you're probably going to be doing no more than 2d6+3 extra damage with it, which frankly isn't worth 5 lost wizard levels.

As far as I'm concerned, Fighter's 3rd attack is the raison d'etre of the class. If you're not going to hit Fighter 11 you should strongly consider a different "martial" class for your gish, e.g. Bladelock 5/Abjuror 15 (Armor of Shadows + Armor of Agathys abuse!), or Barbarian 2/Bladesinger 18 (2 Reckless attacks, excellent AC if your stats are sufficiently high, and full spellcasting).

Last edited:

n00b f00

First Post
My personal favorite is EK 7/wizard X. That way with the weapon cantrips you get 2 attacks plus the benefits of the chosen magic, this is generally on par or better than 3 normal attacks you get at 11. Then you get all those wizard levels right that means. You get access to a lvl 7 spell selection, you get slot progression up to 15 so you get an 8th lvl slot. You get a complimentary arcane tradition, like evocation to drop fireballs on your own face, or abjuration to get extra free health that you can refill with the alarm spell for the cost of no slots. Plus all those spells in general, you're a wizard harry! You'll have enough ASIs to go around, and even enough to maybe buy a feat or 2.
ou
I'd definitely start as warrior for the extra HP, con saves, and it's almost a most for a strength build so you get heavy armor. You won't have as many hitpoints as other gishes, unless you're an abjurer, but you're not that far behind and you bash and cast really well.

Another build I sorta like is if I'm going to take fighter levels with a caster class in general, is to grab EK a lot of the time. Like with a gish warlock, to get access to the shield spell and the extra slots. But that's a more general thing.

krakistophales

First Post
Whats the concensus on warcaster? Is it only if you want to use a shield and a weapon or does it apply to a two-handed weapon as well? I would imagine you can just hold the weapon in one hand, cast a spell, then grab it in two again to attack, right?

Nope. Eldritch knight is fine from level 3 and beyond, no matter if you care for characters or for mechanical optimization. Being able to use the shield spell alone is enough to make the choice worth it. Weapon bond is also fantastic. Our eldritch knight has just reached 7th level and he was great all the time. It's so hard to bring him down.

GrumpyGamer

First Post
EK + Shield comes online at 3rd level. Up to this point I have seen very effective EK's with this spell playing the tankiest of fighters. The only catch is that now this role might be played better by a blade singer.

Sheled is the Eldritch Blast of EKs. Sure you can build an EK without it, but it is the spell the powers most EKs through the early to mid levels.

famousringo

First Post
EK is the toughest fighter, thanks to abjuration spells like Shield, Absorb Elements and Counterspell. Also worth looking at illusions like Blur and Mirror Image for a bonus pick. The evocations aren't much worth it, IMO, but AOE is something other fighters don't get.

EK can multiclass effectively with pretty much any arcane caster. War Magic combined with the new melee cantrips will allow you to keep pace with a pure fighter in DPR while you advance as a caster. Dump Int and pick buffs for your EK spells so can pump Cha if you pick a class other than wizard:

Wizard gets you the best ritual magic (for out of combat utility), some awesome school powers, and the broadest spell selection.

Bard gets you Dissonant Whispers (combine with Warcaster for devastating opportunity attacks), Healing Word, Cutting Words for roll manipulation, and Magical Secrets for whatever spell you wish you had.

Sorcerer lets you twin Booming Blade + War Magic for great damage and control on two targets or quicken a full spell while still getting your full attack action.

Warlock lets you combine Agonizing Blast and War Magic to become the deadliest ranged attacker without Sharpshooter, as well access to the bladelock bag of tricks like Armor of Agathys and Darkness + Devil's Sight. At level 19, a melee cantrip + War magic + Lifedrinker is comparable to a pure fighter's 4th attack at 20.

zaratan

First Post
I really think EK 11/sorc 9 is better than multiclass in wizard. just dump int, use the EK spells for buffs.

The fact you can attack 3 times and cast the spell as bonus action, break any wizard school. Or twin your haste or even banishment.

wild sorcerer let you be the king of of saves, and desadvantage in ST and subtracting 1d4 make you the burner king of legendary resistence. Plus, wild magic is cool as hell.

Remove ads