• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The element of Gamma World I miss the most

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
There is one element of Gamma World that I really miss... and I guess it shows my predisposition towards "wild and wahoo" games.

I miss the use of credit cards as currency. I don't think it was expressly stated in any edition of the game, but in at least one edition, the money used was rectangular pieces of plastic made by the ancients and found in wallets that were manufactured in a variety of colours (base currency, each worth 1 domar), and in gold and silver plastic (worth more).

I just love the idea that the concept that credit cards (and bank cards, etc) are worth enough now that the tales of their worth continue down beyond the end of the world, and the mutants run around collecting credit cards to exchange for valuable gifts and prizes.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I miss the wild mutations, mutant animals (which is easily done using Savage Species), mutant plants, and the crazy creatures.

One of these days I'll have to try and figure out a way to do mutant plants. I would like to do a D20 verison of Prickly Bill, my first GW character. (Was that with 3rd edition GW? I don't remember now.) He was a sentient mutant cactus with a mutation that allowed him to grow a moustace (in house mutation). He loved whiskey and shooting Arks. Ah good times...

Kane

Darrin Drader

Explorer
It's reasonably humorous, add it back in. Make 1 credit card woth 1 TU in D20 Apocalypse, and you're set. Of course it would be just as amusing to make 1 beer worth 1 TU, a bottle of wine worth 3 TUs, and a fifth of hard alchohol 10 TUs, and then use that as your primary form of currency.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
All these years, it never occured to me they were talking about actual credit cards. I assumed it was some form of super-durable plastic/paper hybrid that replaced regular paper cash.

The thing I miss (and I'm pretty sure was missing from anything past first ed) was the Social Wars. It was a nice commentary, that by the time of the Disaster mankind had beaten all external threats. No poverty, no famine, no disease, nothing. So they fell to argueing over philosophy and political points, and became so polarized that society threatened to tear itself apart.

radferth

First Post
The thing I miss is the tribe of Badders in one of the early modules who worshiped a poster of UW mascot Bucky Badger they found. I wonder if they wore cheeseheads.

DMH

First Post
Domars are in the 4th edition. Many are Ancient creditcards, but the local nations also made their own (with complex art to prevent counterfitting).

I never got attached to any of the settings and the only things that have to be in a game for me to consider it GW are mutants, Ancient tech and Cryptic Alliances.

What I do miss though are mutant animals (and, yes, plants) that are very different from humans.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I totally miss third edition. It was my fave, without a doubt. It was the game that finally figured out how to use those rainbow tables from Marvel PROPERLY, and it had awesome mutant plants.

Mmmm... Now the problem of deciding between third ed and Omega World...

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Kanegrundar said:
I miss the wild mutations, mutant animals (which is easily done using Savage Species), mutant plants, and the crazy creatures.

One of these days I'll have to try and figure out a way to do mutant plants. I would like to do a D20 verison of Prickly Bill, my first GW character. (Was that with 3rd edition GW? I don't remember now.) He was a sentient mutant cactus with a mutation that allowed him to grow a moustace (in house mutation). He loved whiskey and shooting Arks. Ah good times...

Kane

I ran a short-lived Gamma World d20 campaign and in the process I wrote rules for a plant-based Genotype.

When I get home from work tonight, I will post it here.

Now ... note that I have never played any previous version of GW, and I made these plant rules up on my own with no prior knowledge of how plant PCs worked in those earlier editions. But, mine might be *close enough* that you could wing it with what you know of the system(s). :)

jeff37923

First Post
Domars are actually in the first edition.

I miss the gonzo gaming. I was in middle school when it came out and we were all playing AD&D1e and Gamma World. Someone found the Gamma World conversion rules in the back of the DMG1e and the word spread. Really quickly we had Thundarr the Barbarian games going on all the time as AD&D1e and Gamma World overlapped with characters from wither dimension zipping back and forth with loot. It got truly bizarre when Deities and Demigods came out. I remember having a cleric shoot at Thor with a nuclear missile, and hit!

Ah, fun times, happy times. The foolishness of youth.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads