• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Elf from the D&D Movie is NOT A DROW!

mooby

First Post
Why do people assume she is?

I have a dragon mag lying around somewhere that says she's supposed to be a halfelf, but they dont go over that in the movie.

KenM

Banned
Banned
I think people think that because the acctress that played her has darker skin. I never thought she was a drow.

Ranger REG

Explorer
That's weird. Because that same actress have a recurring role on The District. She plays the MPD's PR person. She has a much lighter skin tone now.

jdavis

First Post
mooby said:
Why do people assume she is?

I have a dragon mag lying around somewhere that says she's supposed to be a halfelf, but they dont go over that in the movie.

Oh I don't think she is a Drow, I don't think that the people who made the movie even knew what a Drow is. I just don't think the people making the movie had a clue what they were doing (the elves all used crossbows for pete's sake) or that that would cause any confusion (or outright laughter at their lack of understanding that that might cause some confusion).

Of course I think you answered your own question when you said they didn't go over that in the movie. It was probably put into Dragon magazine after the movie was finished and somebody with some actual D&D knowledge realized the mistake. All they had to do was call her a half elf instead of a elf in the movie and then there is no confusion, so why didn't they? Why did they have random blue and purple people running around in the movie? Did anyone on the set even research the topic before they set out to do a movie on it?

Azlan

First Post
I'm tired of seeing movies about the heroes saving the world or the whole friggin' universe. What I'd like to see is something heroic on a much smaller scale, like in the movie, The Seven Samurai (remade by Hollywood as the Magnificent Seven).

Oh, and I'm tired of movies where a great prophecy or a secret prince/king/godling is integral to the plot. And, please, no more fantasy or sci-fi movies that involve a council or senate.

:rolleyes:

I'd like a D&D movie to have a party of seasoned adventurers who are brought together to save a village or town. However, rather than fortifying the town and fighting off a horde of orcs or something, the adventurers go into a dungeon to retrieve something or to set the people free or whatever. The head honcho of the dungeon should be something else beside some over-acting human megalomaniac; he (or she) should be an intelligent monster such as a dragon or a lich or a beholder.

The adventurers - i.e. the main characters - should have a representative of all of the most basic core classes and races: a paladin (human), a ranger (elf), a fighter (dwarf), a cleric (human), a wizard (half-elf), and a rogue (halfling).

:cool:

Olive

Explorer
Re: Re: The Elf from the D&D Movie is NOT A DROW!

jdavis said:
It was probably put into Dragon magazine after the movie was finished and somebody with some actual D&D knowledge realized the mistake. All they had to do was call her a half elf instead of a elf in the movie and then there is no confusion, so why didn't they? Why did they have random blue and purple people running around in the movie? Did anyone on the set even research the topic before they set out to do a movie on it?

dude.... it's a hone brew!!! house rules and stuff. :D

Greyhawk_DM

First Post
Either way it is acknowledged by most that the movie was crap.
Any links from the movie to actual D&D have to be viewed with some caution.
There is a reason why the movie sucked and the above discrepency just illustrates that point.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Elf from the D&D Movie is NOT A DROW!

jdavis said:
So it was actually D20 the movie? :confused: :D

If so, they should immediately cease and desist in making any more copies of it until they get rid of the short beholder scenes; those monsters were removed from the SRD after all.

:D

Remove ads