• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Elven Thinblade, Halflings, and you...

Sugarmouse

First Post
Aside from how a Halfling Rogue would get his/her greedy little hands on an Elven Thinblade, spend the Exotic Weapon Proficiency for it, and what not, I have the following questions (and my DM and I are scratching our heads):

The Elven Thinblade is listed as a Light weapon. To clarify - this refers to Medium sized characters, for size relation, right?

Can a Halfling Rogue 'Weapon Finesse' a Thinblade, wield it in two hands, and still get the Finesse bonus?

Or does the Thinblade need to be re-sized?

Muchas gracias.

Sugarmouse

Nyaricus

First Post
2H weapons cannot be finessed, unless otherwise staed (no idea about the spiked chain - is it 2Hed?)

So, you'd need to re-size it

EDIT: and yeah, that refers to medium size folk

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Sugarmouse said:
The Elven Thinblade is listed as a Light weapon.

Er... no, it's not. It's a one-handed weapon. The Elven Lightblade is a Light weapon.

A Medium Elven Thinblade will be one-handed for a Medium creature, and two-handed for a Small creature. A Small Elven Thinblade will be one-handed for a Small creature, and light for a Medium creature.

I can't recall the exact wording of the weapon, but I'm guessing it's similar to Rapier:
You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a rapier sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.

A Small creature cannot use Finesse with a Medium rapier. He can use Finesse with a Small rapier. (As can a Medium creature, but that's because it's a Light weapon for him, and he'll take a -2 inappropriate size penalty.)

Your halfling, I'm guessing, can only use Weapon Finesse with a Small Thinblade, not a Medium one.

Edit: I take it back. The wording of the Thinblade states "A character can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply his Dexterity modifier instead of his Strength modifier to attack rolls with an elven thinblade." It doesn't carry the "sized for him" caveat of the rapier, so a halfling can wield a Medium Thinblade as a two-handed weapon (with a -2 penalty) and use Weapon Finesse with it.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Sugarmouse

First Post
*makes comical collar pulling gesture* :\

Well, it'll make the player happy.

But it seems like an oversight in terms of the description/flavour text.

Reminds me of all the nasty I managed to dish out with my Nyss Claymore...

Thank you, kindly!

IndyPendant

First Post
Where does it say 2h weapons cannot be finessed?

Far as I can tell, by RAW you could wield a rapier two-handed, finesse it, get 1.5xStr bonus on damage, and 2xPower Attack. Even though realistically that's a bit absurd. : )

Or am I wrong?

3d6

Explorer
It says that two-handed weapons cannot be finessed in the feat description.
With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.
You're right that nothing prevents you from using weapon finesse with a light weapon, rapier, or whip held in two hands.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Why on earth that hafling want to use a medium-sized Elven Thinblade instead of a small sized Elven Courtblade? The same damages, finessable without any argument, no -2 penalty to attack, piercing and slashind instead of just piercing.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
IndyPendant said:
Where does it say 2h weapons cannot be finessed?

It doesn't. You can finesse light weapons, plus non-light weapons that specifically allow it.

Far as I can tell, by RAW you could wield a rapier two-handed, finesse it, get 1.5xStr bonus on damage, and 2xPower Attack. Even though realistically that's a bit absurd. : )

Or am I wrong?

Well, you are wrong:

Rapier: You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a rapier sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you. You can’t wield a rapier in two hands in order to apply 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus to damage.

Of course, it's not clear whether you can wield a rapier in two hands in order to achieve some end that isn't applying 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus to damage.

Does the sentence mean:
  • You can't wield a rapier in two hands. As a result, you cannot apply 1.5x Str bonus to damage.
  • You can wield a rapier in two hands, but if you do, you cannot apply 1.5x Str bonus to damage.
  • You can wield a rapier in two hands, but only if it is for a different reason than for applying 1.5x Str bonus to damage. If you can find another reason and wield the rapier in two hands, 1.5x Str bonus to damage applies normally.
...? Hard to know :)

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Shin Okada said:
Why on earth that hafling want to use a medium-sized Elven Thinblade instead of a small sized Elven Courtblade? The same damages, finessable without any argument, no -2 penalty to attack, piercing and slashind instead of just piercing.

Maybe in this campaign world, every halfling that's suggested the idea to an elven weaponsmith has been brutally slaughtered, and no non-elven weaponsmiths want to risk the consequences of making one themselves? :)

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads