D&D 4E The EN World "Build A Ridiculously Complicated Character for D&D 4e" thread.

Minifig

First Post
This is just something for fun for all of us and keep us busy for a while.

Lets see who can build the most ridiculously complicated character to play in the current character builder (yes, if it updates.. we'll count those too.. depending on how long this thread lives)..
----
Rules:

Your race must fit the primary class (at least somewhat, see Wilden Wardens for example.. they're NOT too gimped), so that it doesn't appear they're too gimped or complicated because of lack of stats.

You cannot house rule your character. They must be 100% legal.

You must equip them in basic equipment. EG: No magic gear!

Anything else goes!

Copy and paste what you come up with. :)
----

To start us out:

level 30
Githzerai, Monk|Shaman, Storvakal, Godmind
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid): Centered Breath (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk: Hybrid Monk Fortitude
Companion Spirit (Hybrid): Stalker Spirit (Hybrid)
Hybrid Shaman: Hybrid Shaman Fortitude
Background: Akanûl (Akanûl Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 20, Dex 25, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 13, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 32 Fort: 38 Reflex: 38 Will: 34
HP: 177 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 44

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +27, Thievery +27, Acrobatics +29

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +18, Endurance +20, Heal +18, History +16, Insight +18, Intimidate +15, Nature +18, Perception +18, Religion +16, Streetwise +15, Athletics +19

FEATS
Level 1: Improved Initiative
Level 2: Mobile Spirit
Level 4: Fluid Motion
Level 6: Resilient Spirit
Level 8: Stalker Spirit Adept
Level 10: Sudden Call
Level 11: Shared Danger Sense
Level 12: Aggressive Spirit
Level 14: Ephemeral Spirit
Level 16: Nimble Spirit
Level 18: Paragon Defenses
Level 20: Repel Charge
Level 21: Superior Initiative
Level 22: Epic Will
Level 24: Epic Reflexes
Level 26: Epic Fortitude
Level 28: Staff Fighting
Level 30: Robust Defenses

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Lion's Den
Hybrid at-will 1: Stalker's Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Stinging Nettles
Hybrid daily 1: Spirit of Consuming Terror
Hybrid utility 2: Swift Flight
Hybrid encounter 3: Spirit of Slavering Bloodlust
Hybrid daily 5: Supreme Avalanche Combination
Hybrid utility 6: Spur the Pack
Hybrid encounter 7: Call to the Blood Dancer
Hybrid daily 9: Flying Tiger Assault
Hybrid utility 10: Persistent Tail
Hybrid encounter 13: Overpowering Strike (replaces Stinging Nettles)
Hybrid daily 15: Reparative Spirit (replaces Spirit of Consuming Terror)
Hybrid utility 16: One Spirit, One Body
Hybrid encounter 17: Fall of the Anvil's Master (replaces Spirit of Slavering Bloodlust)
Hybrid daily 19: Tendrils of the Fate Weaver (replaces Supreme Avalanche Combination)
Hybrid utility 22: Spirit of the World Healer
Hybrid encounter 23: Call to the Relentless Hunter (replaces Call to the Blood Dancer)
Hybrid daily 25: Dragon Fist Strike (replaces Flying Tiger Assault)
Hybrid encounter 27: Forcing the Threat (replaces Overpowering Strike)
Hybrid daily 29: Death Spirit (replaces Reparative Spirit)

ITEMS
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Quarterstaff

:)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The most complex hybrid I can imagine would be a

wizard/swordmage who takes arcane study (so he has a spellbook for his swordmage powers) and then multiclasses into a third class, for which he takes power swap feats AND then takes reserve feats to replace the power swap feats with powers from his original class. Which he can swap out when he wakes up. His original utility powers should all be skill powers, just to add another book to reference. Ideally he should make sure to pick his powers from as many different splatbooks as possible, and make sure that no two powers hand out the same status effect.

That's almost approaching the level of complexity that you see on 3.5e casters. He should have one daily choice to make for his at-will and 3 or more selections for all of his encounter and daily powers, with complicated restrictions on what slots can be swapped for what other powers.

The rest of his feats should be conditional bonuses. For laughs, he should take a bunch of "wall" spells and take "back to the wall". He should then try to stand on top of a conjured wall of stone and make a teleporting melee attack (preferably with a staff - can you make a swordmage that uses a staff?) against people nowhere near the wall, which should spark all kinds of rules arguments. After that he can repeat it by attacking a foe over or through a wall, and then repeat it using wall of fog or wall of fire.

Oh, and he should spend all his money on rituals. Preferably ones for which he's not trained in the accompanying skill, and make sure he mixes up whether a roll is needed or not.

I'd like to be able to maximise the number of immediate interrupts and wierd opportunity attacks that he can make too: I guess some of those white lotus master feats would be a good start? It's best if we can manage to get an opportunity attack that allows us to move somehow so we can invalidate other peoples moves while they provoke attacks.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Zarminder, Master of Nature

The concept behind Zarminder is to use the Shaman's Spirit Companion and Ranger's Beast Companion to keep enemies off of you while you aid your allies. Student of Artifice gives you a little extra healing power and allows access to a Familiar; the Serpent aids with mobility passively and allows for hasty retreat if something gets through actively. Beast Riding is just for kicks. Keen Eagle improves your targeting and adds a second companion with an action point. The Ranger 10 Utility allows companions to use HQ damage you probably won't use.

I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement - I whipped this up quick.

[edit]Specifically, I think I'd take at least one power swap feat so that you could summon something with an Artificer power. That gives you another meat shield, and opens up some other possibilities for feats and familiars.

Here he is at 1 and 11:

Zarminder Level 1
[sblock]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Zarminder, level 1
Longtooth Shifter, Ranger|Shaman
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
Companion Spirit (Hybrid): Watcher Spirit (Hybrid)
Hybrid Talent: Ranger Fighting Style
Ranger Fighting Style: Beast Mastery (Hybrid)
Beast Companion Type: Bear

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 8, Int 13, Wis 18, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 8, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 13 Fort: 16 Reflex: 11 Will: 14
HP: 23 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +9, Perception +9, Insight +9, Athletics +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Arcana +1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +2, Heal +4, History +1, Intimidate, Religion +1, Stealth -1, Streetwise, Thievery -1

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Predator Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Wrath of Winter
Hybrid encounter 1: Synchronized Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Massive Companion

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Crossbow, Farseeing totem
RITUALS
Raise Beast Companion
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
[/sblock]

Zarminder Level 11
[sblock]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Zarminder, level 11
Longtooth Shifter, Ranger|Shaman, Keen Eagle
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
Companion Spirit (Hybrid): Watcher Spirit (Hybrid)
Hybrid Talent: Ranger Fighting Style
Ranger Fighting Style: Beast Mastery (Hybrid)
Beast Companion Type: Bear

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 12, Dex 9, Int 14, Wis 21, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 8, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 19 Fort: 22 Reflex: 17 Will: 20
HP: 74 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +15, Perception +15, Insight +15, Athletics +17, Arcana +12, Streetwise +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +8, Heal +10, History +7, Intimidate +5, Religion +7, Stealth +4, Thievery +4

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Student of Artifice
Level 4: Arcane Familiar
Level 6: Eldeen Companion
Level 8: Beast Rider
Level 10: Scion of Onat
Level 11: Nimble Spirit

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Wrath of Winter
Hybrid at-will 1: Predator Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Synchronized Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Massive Companion
Hybrid utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Hybrid encounter 3: Sly Fox Spirit
Hybrid daily 5: Lacerating Maul
Hybrid utility 6: Hearth Spirit
Hybrid encounter 7: Guardian Eagle Flock
Hybrid daily 9: Menacing Cry
Hybrid utility 10: Hunting Party

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Crossbow, Farseeing totem, Longsword
RITUALS
Raise Beast Companion
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
[/sblock]

Minifig

First Post

The concept behind Zarminder is to use the Shaman's Spirit Companion and Ranger's Beast Companion to keep enemies off of you while you aid your allies. Student of Artifice gives you a little extra healing power and allows access to a Familiar; the Serpent aids with mobility passively and allows for hasty retreat if something gets through actively. Beast Riding is just for kicks. Keen Eagle improves your targeting and adds a second companion with an action point. The Ranger 10 Utility allows companions to use HQ damage you probably won't use.

Wow.. That's fantastic.. I actually love this idea..

LightPhoenix

First Post
Wow.. That's fantastic.. I actually love this idea..

Ugh, I had a longer post, but it got eaten.

Shaman actually works nicely with Beast Ranger, since most Beast powers use Wisdom as a rider. I'm waffling on Artificer, but for summon you really only have Artificer, Wizard, Druid, and Psion. Artificer gets you two critters (familiar/summon), so I went with it.

I'll fork a thread tomorrow for a serious build, in which case the only real option is Druid.

I was thinking the other way. Summoner Wizard/Ranger with the Shaman multiclass. That way you still get beast, companion, and familiar. (And the Earth Priest theme if Dark Sun is legal). You also get a spellbook and summoned storm pillars.

Edit: If you mean most complex in play, it's interrupts all the way. I'm now thinking of a hybrid Swordmage/Bravura-style Warlord. Familiar and Shaman multiclass of course. But Aegis of Assault (because we really need out of turn attacks...), healing, Brash Assault as an at will (yay, everyone gets to attack). Oh, and Elemental Priest.

That's flooding the battlefield, flooding the battlefield with marks, healing (two different forms of encounter healing), Weapon/Implement powers, interrupts, full use of minors, and no one knows who is going to be rolling what dice when because of all the extra basic attacks granted. Oh, and you need to pay real attention for all the interrupt powers with different triggers.

Last edited:

Mentat55

First Post
I am currently playing a human tome wizard/tome adept. Starting from level 15 on out, every level he gets a new daily power, he instead gets 4 (in his spellbook) from being a wizard, having the Expanded Spellbook feat, and being a tome adept (PP feature). For utility powers, he instead gets 3 in his spellbook.

Coupled with having a magical tome that grants him more spells and has a daily power that allows him to swap out a prepared daily with one with the cold keyword, the Tome of Readiness feature, and the Improved Tome of Readiness feat that allows another on-the-fly swap of a daily or utility power, and I am finding him challenging (but fun) to play. The hardest thing is keeping everything organized.

Remove ads