• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The ENnies are coming! The ENnies are coming!

CAVEAT: Anything below is from memory and strictly my own personal opinion. It should not be taken as an official ENnies statement, etc....

In general, I'd rather not see anything that fragments the awards based on format. If something is a good supplement, why should it matter whether or not it was a PDF or a print product? About the only category that print products have an advantage in is 'Production Values'. Personally, I'd rather see more dual-format stuff, as I prefer hardcopy for reading and table-use, and PDF for game-prep and player handouts, etc.

Print on Demand doesn't disqualify something for the 'Electronic' category. AFAIC, the fact that you had Lulu print it for you is not terribly different than having Kinko's print it for you, or burning through a couple inkjet cartridges at home. As far as encouraging publishers to do POD, I don't think that that's our place, or that we'd have much influence over that anyway. Customers emailing the publisher, posting in forums, etc., will have far more influence over that.

Crothian

First Post
Maybe next year, the Electronic category could be split up a bit?

I can see a case for Best Electronic Adventure, Best Electronic Sourcebook, etc.

If we got enough we could do this. But we really don't get a large variety of adventures and sourcebooks. Of the electronic stuff this year most are podcasts.

reveal

Adventurer
Is it true that all submissions for electronic products are required to be submitted on five and a quarter inch floppy disc?
No. Since diaglo is no longer a judge and doesn't want them on 8" floppies, the judges were able to move into the 21st century.

It's not that I want the awards fragmented...I just don't want any cool products left out or disqualified from getting anything.

Every product, if it is good, should have a chance to win. That's all.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
It's not that I want the awards fragmented...I just don't want any cool products left out or disqualified from getting anything.

And every product does have a chance! PDFs are considered in every category for which they qualify (Book, Supplement, Monster/Adversary, Adventure, etc), although as mentioned above tend to languish in the Production Value category.

reveal

Adventurer
I am aware that there are some limitations to the electronic category in terms of how much print can happen, and that is a shame, as it seems to me that a print on demand book would get lost in the shuffle (qualifying as neither catergory possibly).

All PoD products are categorized as "electronic" regardless of how many times users print them.

And every product does have a chance! PDFs are considered in every category for which they qualify (Book, Supplement, Monster/Adversary, Adventure, etc), although as mentioned above tend to languish in the Production Value category.

Exactly. Every product that is submitted has an equal chance of winning. Whether or not it's PoD makes no difference. It's hard for the ENnies to encourage publishers to try PoD, as you put it, because, in the end, it's the quality of the PDF that makes or breaks it for the judges. It's judged upon its merits as a product rather than how the end-user receives; printed or electronic.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
New categories

By the way, we're not completely adverse to the creation of new categories.

But we need to answer what purpose a new category would serve. Does it better reflect the current market? Are those producing said product clamouring for a new category? Would there be increased participation in the Awards by publishers and fandom alike if the category would be created? Would the creation of the new category dilute the value of the existing awards? Would it make the ceremony too long? Will it create a "kiddie table" category?

etc.

I suspect that a PDF only category would not be favourable with all these factors considered- but maybe someone could start their own PDF awards! And heck, maybe y'all can convince me otherwise- you're very welcome to try!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm really disappointed that I won't be MCing the ENnies in August; I'm DMing officiating a family wedding down in Cancun instead, and the travel for that is extensive. I'm trusting these guys to find someone funnier than I am to run the show this year. Meanwhile, I have an entire year for my puns to get funny again.

Oh man, am I going to need it.

Remove ads