• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Ethics of the Banshee

Blackbrrd

First Post
This is the type of things that made me dislike 3e. Save-or-die is just not fun in my eyes. 4e is better in this regard, but might have gone a bit too far to the other side, although there are some pretty nasty status effects on higher levels.

The Arcana checks from the others told them that the effect seemed stronger to the North, so they headed up that road, at night.
But yeah, scouting a haunted house and ruined graveyard, at night, in an area where the life seems to have been sucked out of the landscape, and where undead are *known* to be roaming free, is the kind of thing that would normally call for more precautions than they took. Which were essentially none.

Ah . . . no fear of the unknown likely undead threat at night, that makes this more fair. Seems to me they needed to be reminded it's an adventure game. I think sometimes I'm too easy on my players too, and they get complacent/cocky. I bet you solved that issue.

On another point, I think the Banshee is an awesomely atmospheric monster, for the right campaign/right area of the campaign. I like some Celtic flavor in some areas. I like your post-Roman empire points-of-light feel with the old highway and way stations too. Or, to put it another way, I like mytho-pseudo-historical-European D&D settings. :)

Last edited:

by_the_sword

First Post
I would have had the banshee nuke a henchman, or failing that, the tiger would have smelled her and attacked forcing her to discharge her scream before she was in the party's range. Or possibly have the tiger roar a warning and let the players see the banshee and take an action.

I do like the way you handled the situation though. The characters were ECL in the upper teens so they have access to spells that could protect them from a banshee's wail... If they have prepared them.

The only classic horror movie mistake they didn't make was to have the college girls dress in lingerie and then "Everybody split up".

LOL.

This reminds me of an incident around Halloween 1988, when I was in college. A college student was murdered in relatively nearby Greenfield, MA, and the murderer wasn't found yet, when the power went out on our campus. We decided to split up and take flashlights to go look for a sneaky murderer in our dorm. I literally went up to the storage attic and walked through with a flashlight, just for the thrill. I didn't even have Scooby with me -- xikes!

Sadly, no one thought of the girls dressing in lingerie for the looking around for the murderer -- or if they did, I was not invited!

None of us got killed, but real life is less dangerous that D&D.

Any connection to Greenfield, MA?

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1988/P...r-Suspect/id-30277ed058513b9f7550f07ca742f38b

Greenfield

Adventurer
I would have had the banshee nuke a henchman, or failing that, the tiger would have smelled her and attacked forcing her to discharge her scream before she was in the party's range. Or possibly have the tiger roar a warning and let the players see the banshee and take an action.

I do like the way you handled the situation though. The characters were ECL in the upper teens so they have access to spells that could protect them from a banshee's wail... If they have prepared them.

Non-corporeal undead have a scent that the Tiger can pick up?

And, since the Banshee's attack is an area effect, selectively taking out henchmen isn't really possible.

As for the "If they had prepared them" part: When they came back, they had all the spell preparation they needed. I revealed a lesser undead ( a Wraith) to them several rounds before the Big Bad made her grand entrance. Nobody cast any protective spells. Two hadn't even taken the minor precaution of blocking their ears with wax. Short of having her show up, introduce herself and give a countdown to the scream...

And, since the Banshee's attack is an area effect, selectively taking out henchmen isn't really possible.

As for the "If they had prepared them" part: When they came back, they had all the spell preparation they needed. I revealed a lesser undead ( a Wraith) to them several rounds before the Big Bad made her grand entrance. Nobody cast any protective spells. Two hadn't even taken the minor precaution of blocking their ears with wax. Short of having her show up, introduce herself and give a countdown to the scream...

Well, I know that wraiths disturb animals and they won't approach unless you force them to. You could say the same for the banshee. But that's neither here nor there now.

As for not preparing:
http://www.geneticanomaly.com/RPG-Motivational/slides/cluebat.html

She doesn't get to choose who she hits.

The first encounter is a little bit iffy but in a metagame sense it's fair warning--PCs usually don't have encounters far below level and so such an encounter should be figured to be part of something larger. The second time around is utter stupidity--they *KNEW* they were going up against a banshee and did nothing about it.

by_the_sword

First Post

It is a well established trope in fiction that animals can sense supernatural creatures. Perhaps "smell" was not the best word to use. How about "sense"? Does that work for you? Might I go so far as to suggest "see"? Or is the Banshee invisible as well.

I don't understand your reaction to my post. I thought you handled the encounter well. Have a nice day.

I'm out.

Remove ads