The Ethics of Two Way Ignore

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So, you want....

But, they apparently shouldn't have the right to control their own words, is that it? It is offensive for them to hold their ideas back from you? If you WANT, they MUST provide them to you, no matter how much of a nozzle you may have been to them?

Do you not see how entitled that is? Who the heck do you think you are that you feel folks owe you their ideas?
I don’t really think it’s entitlement to see posts on a public facing forum that allows the whole world to read every post made there.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I haven't had to use the Ignore feature in years, and the few times that I have had to use it, the person I was ignoring was behaving so badly that they were removed from the site shortly thereafter. So I guess I don't understand the problem.

If someone ignores me, I can't see their threads anymore. (shrug) That seems logical to me. What am I missing?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Even if that happened, you would never know about it because you can't see their posts.

Ah, but I have it set where I can see theirs, because I'm curious and have no will power. I realize this is really unfair, and would have to vote yes if asked if I thought the ethical thing was for clicking "Enable 2-way ignore" to also auto-require "Remove ignored content." (So if you start a poll on that I will be one of the yes votes). But then I wouldn't check as much to see if they were still doing what annoyed me.

Pretty high. Going based on posts I can see, I often see someone say something that I like that people don't respond to for whatever reason. Sometimes I just click like and other times I respond. If I couldn't sew those posts, though, I'd miss them entirely.

I find a variety of amusing things and reply to a bunch of things that pique my interest, but most aren't things I'll remember tomorrow - and I use the time to look for other things.

I think the better way to handle it is to maybe automatically color or mark the post in a unique way to let the reader know that he is blocked by the poster. Then make a hard fast rule that commenting even once to a blocked poster will get you thread banned and warned. Enough times and you get removed from the site.

My gut reaction is this seems awful. But of course there is nothing stopping anyone from seeing the posts they're missing if they put in some effort. So I guess it's just a matter of making it easier for them to see it -- and knowing that they know you particularly blocked them instead of just that some faceless person made the number of posts they see on the page smaller.

So what about what they want and find annoying? Why should what you want be privileged?

They want to utilize my words. I would privilege them the ability to control their own words if they find me annoying (even though it annoys me that they think there is some reason to block me, because obviously that's silly).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So, you want....

But, they apparently shouldn't have the right to control their own words, is that it? It is offensive for them to hold their ideas back from you? If you WANT, they MUST provide them to you, no matter how much of a nozzle you may have been to them?

Do you not see how entitled that is? Who the heck do you think you are that you feel folks owe you their ideas?
It's a conversational forum. They don't have to come here and post in a discussion where there are lots of people. I'm all for them opting not to see me, but forcing me to be blind to their posts is akin to a schoolyard bully forcing me to give up my lunch money. In both cases I'm being forced to do something that is against my will.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Depends on what kind of privacy I guess. If it’s your personal info, definitely agree. If it’s some post you made, fully aware the whole world could see it, I don’t really think privacy applies there? Do you?
Especially when people blocked can still engage in fairly easy ways to still see it. They aren't hiding it from anyone. They're just making people jump through hoops to do it, which seems petty to me. They're certainly not keeping any ideas private from anyone.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Especially when people blocked can still engage in fairly easy ways to still see it. They aren't hiding it from anyone. They're just making people jump through hoops to do it, which seems petty to me. They're certainly not keeping any ideas private from anyone.
Actually that is specifically against the terms of service for this forum. I don't want you* have to jump through hoops to read my posts. I don't want you to read my posts, period. That's the intention.

*generic you, naturally

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Actually that is specifically against the terms of service for this forum. I don't want you* have to jump through hoops to read my posts. I don't want you to read my posts, period. That's the intention.

*generic you, naturally
That's currently not possible to achieve. The only thing you can do is to make me jump through those hoops.

Remove ads