• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Ethics of Two Way Ignore

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
There's no social platform on the planet that tells you when somebody has blocked you and why.
I don't really want to know if some particular person has blocked me but if a lot of people have, I would like to know that I am becoming a problem. I would prefer not to be a problem.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't really want to know if some particular person has blocked me but if a lot of people have, I would like to know that I am becoming a problem. I would prefer not to be a problem.
It's actually hard for us to look up individually. I have a list in descending order (the highest 'non-banned' person on the list has posted in this thread and -- shocker! -- has a problem with their experience on the site; I don't care). I look down the list and I just see people I know I avoid. If it's any comfort, after scrolling through the first 6 or 7 pages of that list, I haven't seen your name, and it's down to 24 or so ignores after 6 pages.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
It's actually hard for us to look up individually. I have a list in descending order (the highest 'non-banned' person on the list has posted in this thread and -- shocker! -- has a problem with their experience on the site; I don't care). I look down the list and I just see people I know I avoid. If it's any comfort, after scrolling through the first 6 or 7 pages of that list, I haven't seen your name, and it's down to 24 or so ignores after 6 pages.
Thanks that was above and beyond.

Edit: I think it might be 3 or just one (I have notice it 3 times), I really do have a terrible memory and generally only remember this when I see a glitch in the postings that may be due to an ignore or there is a conversation like this.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I agree, that if one noticed then it could be disconcerting. I am not sure that I have ever noticed. Either because only a small number of people have me on ignore, I rarely interact with them or I do not pay enough attention to notice. So I have no idea how big a problem this is.

It can be a big problem with a single person who you have on ignore or vice versa if they're heavily involved in a thread. I've seen cases where it was clear that about one third of responses in a thread were to such ghosts (and in one case this was literally a single poster).

CapnZapp

Legend
To be precise: I'm mostly wondering about Person C's experience, the person talking to Person A who put person B on Ignore.

Just dismissing any or all concerns with "if you've been ignored, nobody cares about your experience" is not the constructive post I was looking for.

What about when Person C gets into confusing conversations through no fault of their own, simply because he or she has no idea someone could be looking at only their half of a discussion.

It's quite easy to imagine Person B thinks Person C talks to them, and thus Person C is dragged into a possibly unfruitful exchange for no good reason.

But again, I'm not asking for ENWorld to change anything. (Unless it's a system setting and alternate presentation offerings are already coded in) I'm asking what y'all think Xenforo's rationale for introducing this potential source of confusion might be.

Cheers

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Something of the sort happened to me. Poster A wrote something, I replied by quoting their post. Several people could not see poster A and thus could not see the quote in my reply. Without the quote my post appeared to say the opposite of what it actually said. There was an exchange full of misunderstandings until someone clarified the situation.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Something of the sort happened to me. Poster A wrote something, I replied by quoting their post. Several people could not see poster A and thus could not see the quote in my reply. Without the quote my post appeared to say the opposite of what it actually said. There was an exchange full of misunderstandings until someone clarified the situation.
The amount of times I only see a half conversation because someone is constantly replying to someone on my ignore list, is crazy. I often know who they are responding to as well because they'll mention their name. Still no desire from me to unblock them though, too much stress.

Remove ads