• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Exploit a spell thread

Ostler

First Post
Thought I'd try an experiment. Post a spell and then a description of a creative way to use the spell against a party. For example:

From the SRD:
Simulacrum

Simulacrum creates an illusory duplicate of any creature. The duplicate creature is partially real and formed from ice or snow. It appears to be the same as the original, but it has only one-half of the real creature’s levels or Hit Dice (and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD). You can’t create a simulacrum of a creature whose Hit Dice or levels exceed twice your caster level. You must make a Disguise check when you cast the spell to determine how good the likeness is. A creature familiar with the original might detect the ruse with a successful Spot check (opposed by the caster’s Disguise check) or a DC 20 Sense Motive check.
At all times the simulacrum remains under your absolute command. No special telepathic link exists, so command must be exercised in some other manner. A simulacrum has no ability to become more powerful. It cannot increase its level or abilities. If reduced to 0 hit points or otherwise destroyed, it reverts to snow and melts instantly into nothingness. A complex process requiring at least 24 hours, 100 gp per hit point, and a fully equipped magical laboratory can repair damage to a simulacrum.1,000 XP).

-
In one of my campaigns the party was accompanied for sometime by an NPC wizard. They were often frustrated by his seeming lack of attention span (think ADHD) but he helped them out of several tough spots.

When the were camping one night he was captured by unknown assailants. When the recieved the ransom notice the ignored it and instead decided to assult the captors directly.

The find themselves looking down a hallway at a large man holding the wizard in front of him with a knife at the wizard's throat. The party cleric swiftly moves up pushes the wizard to the ground and gets between him and the bad guy. What he didn't do was make his check to realize there was a dwarf standing in the doorway to the right with an axe ready to kill the wizard should someone do just exactly that.

The looks on the players' faces when the axe came down and the wizard turned to snow and just sort of melted away was priceless. They still don't know if they ever met the original or if the only traveled with the Simulacrum. But they have found out that the wizard was just using them to accomplish several evil tasks.

I had the capture and death planned from the time they met the NPC. :D

Anybody else have evil/unusual uses for spells?

Bloodsparrow

First Post
Back in the day, when I was rather new to this whole D&D thing, I got the bright idea to use the "Dehidrate" cantrip on an assailent's eyeballs. (Cantrips were all I could cast at that point.) The DM told me I was very clever... But that cantrips just didn't work that way.

I've been very conventional with my use of spells since then. :D

Shallown

First Post
One of my players used Bear's Heart (Defenders of the faith) to keep a character alive. In my game you can go as negative as you want but after -10 you die in 1 round. Gives everyone a chance to scramble to you and try to get you up to -10 to keep you alive. So this happened to the mage he dropped to like -17 so the cleric cast Bear's heart and gave him like 18 temp hit points that kept him alive till someone could give him real hit points. I don't know if it was against the rules but as GM it sounded cool

later

Remove ads