The Factotum class

hero4hire

Explorer
I had a concept that for a Changeling Factotum that seemed pretty flavorful.

I do not believe this is an approved class yet and would like to know Living Eberron's Judges Opinions on the Class.

It is from WoTC Dungeonscape, but I can post the particulars.

Also I do not know; do I just propose the Class or the Book as a whole for a Resource?

Thanks,
H4H

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
One element at a time is better than full books.

I have the book and like the class, though I can't comment on how they look in play yet. I think they have a very Eberron feel though (Morgrave, for example).

But if no one else has the book, its mechanics are a bit too odd to clearly explain.

Erekose13

Explorer
6 months old, its now available for proposal. I've updated my list of when books become available in the first page of the Discussion thread ~Link. I don't believe we stick to specific days, just dealing with months. Note that Secrets of Sarlona is also available this month too.

Moggthegob

First Post
Well regarding it. have seen factotum in action at Undermountain events and I have to say, they break alot of encounters. because of the way their stuff works they can have like +30 to certain skills by 4th level(and I am not talking diplomacy).

I would think carefully about whether to allow them.

stonegod

Moggthegob said:
Well regarding it. have seen factotum in action at Undermountain events and I have to say, they break a lot of encounters. because of the way their stuff works they can have like +30 to certain skills by 4th level(and I am not talking diplomacy).
Assume 33 point by and 4th level (where Brains over Brawn kicks in) w/ the 4th point in Str and no magic items.
Str 16, Dex 15, Con 8, Int 18, Wis 9, Cha 8
The factotum has 11 skill points per level in this build, and they'll need at least one point in each to use the inspiration ability to add Factotum level 1/day.

For skills w/o any ranks, Str skills/checks will have a +7 bonus (+3 Str + 4 Int), Dex skills/checks a +6 (+2 Dex + 4 Int) bonus (including init). If they are fully trained, that is +14 and +13 respectively and once per day they can bump it up to +18/+17 is they add in their factotum bonus. As they can only add their factotum bonus to classes that they are trained in, the majority of these skills will not be at this maximum level. Even with +5 competence bonus from a magic item and +2 synergy bonus, that is +25/+24 once per day which is going to be rare; it would take another pair of attribute +2 items to get it to +27/+26; but at forth level, this level of magic enhancement could only be temporary (not permanent items).

They are, however, flexible, and can choose to boost the right skill at the right moment and thus choose to apply the bull's strength and fox's cunning potions at the right moment).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hmmm...aren't most of their abilities once per encounter? Being able to boost skills into the stratosphere with per encounter would be really unfair for out-of-combat skill challenges, since you'd basically eliminate them. I'd need to look at specifics.

stonegod

Rystil Arden said:
Hmmm...aren't most of their abilities once per encounter? Being able to boost skills into the stratosphere with per encounter would be really unfair for out-of-combat skill challenges, since you'd basically eliminate them. I'd need to look at specifics.
Most abilities have a refresh of per encounter except the "add factotum class to skill" and "add Int to Str/Dex checks". The former is once per day (but costs an inspiration point), the latter is all day.

Remove ads