• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Festival

BSF

Explorer
The Lists

After the lists, there are quite a few people bruised, battered and with headaches. Most spellcasters with any sort of healing capability are moving through the clumps of battered contestants helping them regain consciousness. Later that evening, everyone is in good spirits, though the people that took the worst beatings are obviously the most sore.

Brother Oceas is quickly revived and a few people thump him on the back and congratulate him on his success. Soon, a mug of ale is pushed into his hands to help him recover. Later that night, the official winners of the Lists are announced. Oceas ends up with a pouch with 25 sp and a nicely carved miniature club with the words "I almost won the Lists!" on it. The club isn't large enough to be useful in combat, but it looks nice.

BSF

Explorer
I need a description of Felix's handiwork to determine how he does in the competition.

The Tree will take place an hour before the dance begins.

Day 12

It is just after dawn when Wu Cho made his way from Lord Tannerson's guest house in Greerson toward the Temple of Pter. Li walked at Wu's side, his new nagamaki proudly worn in the custom scabbard that Lord Tannerson presented to him after the Lists. The two men, foreigners in this land, chatted in their native tongue as they walked. Wu Cho quietly congratulated Li on his new rank of Samurai and explained that while he considered the path of the Samurai, in the end he felt a higher calling, a calling to serve a general good, more akin to the path of the Kensai. It wasn't until after he arrived in Stormhaven, and learned more at the Temple of Pter, that he was able to understand what purpose he sought to serve.

It took a year to commission a crafter capable of creating a Katana suitable for dedicating to Shang Mu. It took another year to obtain the precious adamtine that the crafter would use. Before Wu Cho accepted Lord Tannerson's invitation, the blade was finished. A beautiful katana that has not yet left it's scabbard.

Wu Cho arranged with the High Priest to coordinate the ceremony with a minimum of fanfare. However, Wu Cho was proud to have Li bear witness to it. Li shares the same goals as Wu Cho; to bring others in to help in the conflict against the Yuan-Ti. For too long have their people born this burden alone. Almost treating their lack of victory as a common shame, their people have avoided asking for help. Wu Cho and Li, have both realized that there is no shame in asking for help when evil must be defeated, and overthrown.

The two men entered the Temple, and were greeted by the High Priest. The High Priest assured Wu Cho that the preparations were almost complete and offered the two men a morning tea. Wu Cho quietly declined, he had never entered the Temple of Pter in Greerson, he now wished to look around the temple, if it were permitted. With a smile, the priest assured Wu Cho that he could look around.

Wu Cho studied the wall carvings depiciting Shang Mu's victories over evil. His protecting the people of the world from all that is malevolent. Finally, the carvings led into a series of small alcoves. Mortal heroes from the past who served Pter well. At the alcove nearest the altar, Wu Cho stopped. The wall before him displayed an armored knight with a hand and a half sword. Behind him stood an armored priest with a greatsword. Wu Cho's finger's lightly traced the figure of the second man and Li could hear him quietly say, "Aaron the Restless. It is he that came down from the mountains to inspire our people. I have seen his image before, long ago."

Wu Cho then turned his attention to the other graven image. He nodded a respectful acknowledgement. "This one is Ternell, Hero of Pter. These two both fought Evil, wherever it might be. I have no doubt that if Ternell hadn't been slain fighting the mad god, he would have supported his friend and companion, Aaron, and joined the fight against the Yuan-Ti." Wu Cho bowed his head again in prayer to Shang Mu, and offered his gratitude to the heroes greven on the wall in the small alcove.

Later that morning, Wu Cho gave Li a small wooden shield. The holy symbol of Pter, of Shang Mu. Straightening his robes, Li noticed the wooden shield affixed to Wu Cho's chest. With a smile, Wu Cho began the Ceremony of Dedication.

Incense and chanted prayers filled the air. Oaths were sworn. Wu Cho drew forth his Adamtine Katana and asked that Pter accept his undying, and unrelenting, service. Li could hear the conviction and resolution in Wu Cho's voice. The honor and nobility of their people entered Pter's Temple and it would not leave until Shang Mu himself had accepted, or rejected, Wu Cho's service.

The Katana glowed with Pter's blessing and acceptance. Wu Cho stood and turned to Li. The wooden shield on Wu Cho's chest was now platinum. Wu Cho had been accepted as one of Pter's chosen; one of his High Knights. Walking to Li, Wu Cho held out his blade so that Li might see it.

"You are the first of our people to witness this ceremony. Thank you for the honor of your presence Samurai." Wu Cho knelt at Li's feet and bowed his head. "With this Katana, I will fight the Evil that infects our homeland. with this Katana, I will fight Evil wherever it may be. We may serve different Lords, but we also serve our People. I ask your acceptance Samurai, as a potential peer, if I carry myself with Honor and serve our People as best as I may."

Macbeth

First Post
Li will make a point of hanging onto the holy symbol of Pter. He doesn't feel a need for the gods, but he has a deep respect for Wu Cho. Li will wear it on a peice of string around his neck, but beneath his robes.

BardStephenFox said:
"You are the first of our people to witness this ceremony. Thank you for the honor of your presence Samurai." Wu Cho knelt at Li's feet and bowed his head. "With this Katana, I will fight the Evil that infects our homeland. with this Katana, I will fight Evil wherever it may be. We may serve different Lords, but we also serve our People. I ask your acceptance Samurai, as a potential peer, if I carry myself with Honor and serve our People as best as I may."

Li smiles softly, but with great pride.

"Wu Cho, High Knight of Pter, we may serve different Lords, but our cause is our common bond. It would honor me greatly to have you as a potential peer."

Am I reading too much into this, or is Wu Cho asking to be considered for becoming a Samurai? If I can get a little more explanation of what Wu Cho means, I'd like to expand Li's response.

BSF

Explorer
Macbeth said:
Li smiles softly, but with great pride.

"Wu Cho, High Knight of Pter, we may serve different Lords, but our cause is our common bond. It would honor me greatly to have you as a potential peer."

Am I reading too much into this, or is Wu Cho asking to be considered for becoming a Samurai? If I can get a little more explanation of what Wu Cho means, I'd like to expand Li's response.

(OOC: Socially speaking, Li outranks Wu Cho since Li has a Lord and serves as a Samurai. Because Wu Cho has essentially accepted a Divine being as his Lord, he falls into a gray area in the social structure. He is the parallel of a Kensai and it would be appropriate to accord him the respect of a Kensai. However, Wu Cho would not demand that he be given that respect. Respect is, after all, earned. Because he is the first person from your shared culture to be a HKoP, there is no precedent in how he fits into the social structure.

Wu Cho is, basically, asking the opinion of a Samurai as to how his acceptance of the Sacred Vows necessary to become a HKoP fit within the social structure. In essence, he is asking if Li thinks that he serves the greater good of their people. Will Li consider Wu Cho to be the equivelant of a Kensai and possibly deserving of the respect that a Samurai should expect? Or, has he placed himself in a lesser position by serving in a manner that is different than expected?

I hope that clears it up a little.)

Macbeth

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
(OOC: Socially speaking, Li outranks Wu Cho since Li has a Lord and serves as a Samurai. Because Wu Cho has essentially accepted a Divine being as his Lord, he falls into a gray area in the social structure. He is the parallel of a Kensai and it would be appropriate to accord him the respect of a Kensai. However, Wu Cho would not demand that he be given that respect. Respect is, after all, earned. Because he is the first person from your shared culture to be a HKoP, there is no precedent in how he fits into the social structure.

Wu Cho is, basically, asking the opinion of a Samurai as to how his acceptance of the Sacred Vows necessary to become a HKoP fit within the social structure. In essence, he is asking if Li thinks that he serves the greater good of their people. Will Li consider Wu Cho to be the equivelant of a Kensai and possibly deserving of the respect that a Samurai should expect? Or, has he placed himself in a lesser position by serving in a manner that is different than expected?

I hope that clears it up a little.)

Ah. Much clearer. Let me overwrite my earlier response. Everything is the same, except for what Li says:

"Wu Cho, you have proved yourself to me to be of great honor, and a true servant of our people and your Lord, even if that Lord is beyond that mortal realm. I consider you my equal, my peer, an equal to the noble Samurai, and all those who, someday, will follow my lead will also consider you an equal. I cannot speak for our homeland, for my master is here, but in my eyes you have honor befitting the equal of a samurai."

Sorry for the confusion, the peer bit screwed me up.

BSF

Explorer
Wu Cho bows his head to Li before standing and then sliding the katana into it's sheath. He then clasps Li's arm.

"We shall give our people hope once again and we shall make the serpent folk tremble. Perhaps you and I will fight back to back against them one day and we will show the Serpent folk what it means to fight in the face of honor and courage. But, not today. I will return on the morrow to offer up prayers to Shang Mu and ask for his blessings in my katana. Until then, allow me to buy you a meal and we can investigate this strange town a bit more. I have seen Ternell's sword and I have been told that the sword of another ancient hero is in a shrine here. Perhaps we might see this sword as well?"

Macbeth

First Post
"Very well, Wu Cho, I would be honored to eat with you. And then we can explore a bit, I have seen many of Greerson's important sites, including the sword you speak of, but there's always more to see in Greerson."

BSF

Explorer
Wrapping up

There is really only one final issue regarding the Festival. How did Felix do in the Arms & Armor crafting?

He did very well! He did not win, but he was one of the final contenders. The winner worked up to nearly the last minute and finished with a beautiful set of nearly perfect studded leather. In any event, Felix placed well enough to be awarded a set of masterwork armorsmithing tools. He was also approached by a fair number of merchants looking to sell his work. A couple of craftspeople also offered Felix a place at their forge if he wants to quit the adventuring life and settle down.

The ending dance is much more subdued than the mid-festival dance. It breaks earlier than usual this year with people leaving in groups. There is still some nervousness about the murders that occurred earlier in the Festival.

Tormal

First Post
Tormal will be there during the judging of the crafts competition, if possible. He will walk around and see most of the other projects and take his time trying to enjoy the last of the festivities. Since the festival is almost over this may be his last chance to take some time to just... hang out.

Remove ads