• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Fifth City - Episode 1: The Gathering

Queenie

Queen of Everything
OOC: I think we are somewhat divided up at the moment? The dead body is down the side alley and the guy on the balcony is on the main street where we just had the battle. Did Amisi hear Castagyr's comment?

"Well, it just so happens to be we are working on an assassination plot right now, right friends?" she says to the group while continuing to check over the dead body for magical clues. "We do not know who the target is, but it's someone important. Markus you could be right, this could be connected but then why target us?" She pauses for a moment, her mind still somewhat cloudy and headachy from the drink, and wonders briefly if the target was indeed herself. She shakes the thought out of her head. "The question is, are we safe tonight? Because if we are perhaps we should go to bed and start our investigations fresh in the morning."

OOC: Arcana: 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8 Apparently Amisi doesn't do liquor well. At ALL. She hasn't had one good roll, I don't believe lol

Fenris

Adventurer
Korgon had been walking around, stomping on flaming bits of flesh. No need for a fire to start. He adds to the conversation: "Well I supposed it depends on whether our flaming friend there took the place of the dock worker before or after he rounded up this gang. And I don't speak Elvish, but it seems to me that anyone who knows a specific motto of some group is either an elf or someone who has done a lot of research to pose as one. Given that the elves in general aren't exactly known for their openness, No offense Leyna, it would have been hard for an outsider to know such a phrase, or would have used it more openly. In my mind there were two potential targets, Leyna or Amisi. Amisi by virtue of what Castagyr said being targeted, maybe the elf or his faction is still angry about humans having magic? Or it was Leyna given that the interaction at the docks was racial, maybe the slaying of an elf by a racist mob would put cracks in the hull of the fifth city? I don't know. But the rumor we heard was about an ambassador was it not? While there are connections, neither of the lady's are ambassadors nor work with them."

[sblock=OOC] While yes I do know Leyna was assigned to the elven ambassador, I don't believe that she has stated as such so Korgon isn't assuming it.[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
"You may have forgotten, but I DO work for the elven ambassador," Lenya said after a few moments. "In fact, it is at her orders that I was sent to learn more of the city and its peoples, which path led me into your company. And, of course, I must report this evening's events to Her- perhaps she will be able to offer some counsel. And while we might rest easy for a time, with this threat dealt with, I would not rest TOO easy. Uncovering one plot does not keep others from being hatched, and the folk that we defeated are not likely to be the only agents at work."

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Castagyr, Dragonborn Paladin

FafnirAvatar.jpg
[sblock=Mini-stats]Castagyr
Init +1, Speed 20
AC 18; HP 11; Current: 11
Conditions in effect: Fire resistance
Dragon Breath: 1/1 avail
Divine Sense: 3/3 avail
Healing Hands: 5/5 points avail
Weapon in Hand: Lance
[/sblock]
Castagyr was stoic as he stood, listening to the speculations about the motives of the mob of thugs. He had not a clue to the political climate and machinations of the various players involved in the great game. He was a pawn and he knew it. But he was fine with that for the moment.

He added simply, “I only know what I saw and the sniper up there was aiming at her back. Given who he selected, I think it is quite obvious that it was not random and he knew who he wanted to kill.”

“That stands to reason there is a plot to kill Amisi.”

He could only guess why.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
OOC: I'm just going to assume Amisi's heard this by now.

"Wait, WHAT?" She stops her examining of the ruffian's body and turns toward Korgon and Castygr. "What did you say? Did you say one of them was specifically aiming for me?" She gulps and tries to stay calm. There was more than one reason someone would be her enemy. She looks to Felix and Markus. "Could it be because of what I told you earlier? I don't want to discuss that out on the street, there could be more of them."

Scotley

Hero
Felix gestures with both arms thrusting them downward with palms down. "Let's not be too hasty here. Amisi is obviously with the Mage Corps. If you were going to attack a group and you had one shoot you could get off from surprise, who would you target?" He gives them a moment to think. "A smart enemy might well choose the Mage. You could be right and Amisi could be a target, but I think we have to little information to make that leap just yet. I for one would like to hear what Lenya's ambassador might have to say. I expect I should check in with my own superiors as well. Do we have any more direct leads to follow tonight?"

Queenie

Queen of Everything
OOC: OOC: Wait for [MENTION=6755061]Kiraya_TiDrekan[/MENTION] to let us know what, if anything, Amisi or Markus found on the body. Hopefully at least a little identification.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
The body of the lead ruffian, the one in the alley at least, appears to have been dead for several hours. An effort was made to cover it in garbage and debris from the alley. Felix is able to determine that he died from strangulation from behind by someone very skilled at such things. Amisi finds a few coins in his pockets and a note...

Our final agent is arriving in the city tomorrow. You and your men will be required to provide a distraction so that our agent can enter the city unmolested by the city guard. You will be compensated as before.

The note bears no signature or date but the handwriting is very fluid and elegant.

Lenya, meanwhile, realizes quickly that the assassin on the balcony was not a docks worker like the others. He is human and well equipped with leather armor, a crossbow and a case full of crossbow bolts, a short sword and dagger, and a guild insignia of some sort tattooed behind his ear, hidden by his hair. The guild sign is a raven feather with fluid dripping from it - the drops could represent blood or poison - the tattoo is grey so its hard to tell.

The fireball masks any other lingering auras that Markus might have detected in the area. What little remains of the false ruffian leader includes a scorched ring, however. Its partially melted and no longer magical but the fact that it survived at all indicates that it may have been magical before the blast.

OOC: At this point everyone but Castagyr and Veer have been up for 24 hours. They will need to take a long rest soon or start suffering from exhaustion.

Remove ads