• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Final Preview - Alignment (Is this really the first thread?)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Or the fact that the alignment thing has been discussed to death and there's no new info here.

Or that we can wait the six days to read it for ourselves.

Fitz

Alkiera

First Post
I think it's more due to the long discussion of this a couple weeks ago.

Personally, I think the new system makes a lot more sense than the old one. No one has an alignment unless they go out of their way to get one. If you're actually all about helping people, you're good. If you're all about doing so legally, you're lawful good. Lawful Good still has some of the 'Lawful Stupid' flavor. If you run over people on your way to the top, you're evil. If you run over people for the fun of it, you're chaotic evil.

The descriptions were pretty nice. A lot of people are just waiting for the books to drop at this point.

Hawke

Explorer
Agreed with Alkiera.

I think this close to the game I'd much prefer another MM sample or some more bits of info from Fallcrest or some power examples. Maybe a few previews with play examples or example plot lines that could give some unique fluff + crunch clues. Oh well... we're so close as it is right now.

So far the word is that alignment isn't actually tied to too many powers and only in specific cases. We'll see if it's balanced enough to give your goody paladin and evil demons enough fun with it w/o making it a staple issue to deal with every encounter.

baberg

First Post
The only thing I dislike is that the PHB specifically says that you "should" pick Good or Lawful Good to avoid conflicts because choosing and properly roleplaying the other alignments will make the other players angry at you. I can see trying to keep things to one end of the spectrum or the other, but why did they discount Unaligned? Seems like Unaligned could get along just fine in a group of Good/LG and a group of Evil/CE.

But eh. Alignment was never really a concern for most of my games - we knew what we had to do and we did it. Whether we did it for the loot or for the greater good, the job still got done.

baberg said:
The only thing I dislike is that the PHB specifically says that you "should" pick Good or Lawful Good to avoid conflicts because choosing and properly roleplaying the other alignments will make the other players angry at you. I can see trying to keep things to one end of the spectrum or the other, but why did they discount Unaligned? Seems like Unaligned could get along just fine in a group of Good/LG and a group of Evil/CE.

But eh. Alignment was never really a concern for most of my games - we knew what we had to do and we did it. Whether we did it for the loot or for the greater good, the job still got done.
Actually it states

If you choose an alignment for your character, you should pick either good or lawful good.....

So it is including unaligned (unaligned is not choosing an alignment).

Remove ads