D&D General The first players—looking for experiences of those playing before 1976

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
https://smolderingwizard.wordpress....hlondar-chronicles-original-dd-at-its-finest/

Try reading this; its an Old school newsletter about a campaign called Rythlondar. It gives a really interesting take on a long-running public campaign with a bunch of players. Well before the Jaquays method of dungeon creation. The PDF in it is 80 pages and covers just about everything they did including character gneration, keeping track of stuff (like Living Greyhawk/Living City type stuff). I started playing about 4 years after this & it somewhat mirrored what my friends and I did back then.
I’d give my left walnut to be in a game like this. Heck I’d run it.

GuyBoy

Hero
Your original question stated “before 1976”
I started playing in 1976 so I’m not sure whether this counts, but I’ll give my tuppence worth anyway. I’m also from the UK, so a non-US (and certainly non Lake Geneva) perspective might be useful?

I was 13 and attending a very old state school (founded 1549) which had a plethora of extra-curricular activities. My childhood had been pretty grim, so the school was a salvation and I tended to join everything going for that reason. This included the war game society, which never really “grabbed” me until a lad from the year above appeared with the white box set, and persuaded myself and a friend to play. I’d never heard of D&D before, though I had read both LotR and the Conan books, so was familiar with fantasy as a concept.
I loved the game and spent my paper-round money on some figures as well as managing to get the white box from a nascent Games Workshop, which at the time was a tiny shop in someone’s garden just off the Shepherds Bush road in London.
So I was “there” as the UK D&D scene “exploded” with Games Workshop and various other shops, as well as being able to start a still-extant D&D Society at school. White Dwarf magazine played a major role as did Judges Guild products.

Beyond a simple (and enduring) love for the game, I wasn’t really a typical D&D player in late 1970s terms, so I can’t really say much about that aspect of the gaming culture. For me, D&D was part of a holy triumvirate with punk rock (with which it was largely contemporaneous) and rugby, whereas most of my fellow players were more traditional in music taste, less into sport and more into the early days of computers ( the name Caverns and Wumpi sticks in my head from an early conversation with a fellow player?)

I wish I still had my White Box Set in much the same way as I wish I still had my Never Mind The Bollocks vinyl LP!

Your original question stated “before 1976”
I started playing in 1976 so I’m not sure whether this counts, but I’ll give my tuppence worth anyway. I’m also from the UK, so a non-US (and certainly non Lake Geneva) perspective might be useful?

I was 13 and attending a very old state school (founded 1549) which had a plethora of extra-curricular activities. My childhood had been pretty grim, so the school was a salvation and I tended to join everything going for that reason. This included the war game society, which never really “grabbed” me until a lad from the year above appeared with the white box set, and persuaded myself and a friend to play. I’d never heard of D&D before, though I had read both LotR and the Conan books, so was familiar with fantasy as a concept.
I loved the game and spent my paper-round money on some figures as well as managing to get the white box from a nascent Games Workshop, which at the time was a tiny shop in someone’s garden just off the Shepherds Bush road in London.
So I was “there” as the UK D&D scene “exploded” with Games Workshop and various other shops, as well as being able to start a still-extant D&D Society at school. White Dwarf magazine played a major role as did Judges Guild products.

Beyond a simple (and enduring) love for the game, I wasn’t really a typical D&D player in late 1970s terms, so I can’t really say much about that aspect of the gaming culture. For me, D&D was part of a holy triumvirate with punk rock (with which it was largely contemporaneous) and rugby, whereas most of my fellow players were more traditional in music taste, less into sport and more into the early days of computers ( the name Caverns and Wumpi sticks in my head from an early conversation with a fellow player?)

I wish I still had my White Box Set in much the same way as I wish I still had my Never Mind The Bollocks vinyl LP!
This is lovely! I take it you were more interested in the roleplaying as opposed to the miniature wargaming aspects.

How was the game introduced to you? "Check out this new way to play games!" or "Check out this miniature combat game" or something else?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Looking at the Rythlondar campaign posted earlier, I find the change to magic casting insteresting.

Instead of your spell slots per day and the spells being chosen each morning the DM/Ref changes it to more of a modern sorcerer. You only get your spell slots per delve into the dungeon. So, sleeping in the dungeon doesn't refund you spell slots. BUT you don't have to pre-choose spells. You cast as needed as long as you know the spell and have a free slot

I started in 77 not sure the exact date but was before the first Star Wars action figures were released as I met my future d&d group before that. I can’t recall miniatures until after 1980 and I remember being really impressed with my friends monster cards first (dates are a blur )He had chainmail but it was beyond me at that point in my life

Clint_L

Hero
I would happily purchase and read a book full of these sorts of reminiscences. Although I started in 1979 (?), it already seemed like I was a generation removed from the game's origins, and those OG players (of course, part of this was that I was just a kid).

I even bought the Chainmail rules in a little, silver-covered reprint that was at the local hobby store.

GuyBoy

Hero
This is lovely! I take it you were more interested in the roleplaying as opposed to the miniature wargaming aspects.

How was the game introduced to you? "Check out this new way to play games!" or "Check out this miniature combat game" or something else?
As I recall, Dave ( the older lad) showed Phil and I the white box and said it was a new game from the USA where you played as individual heroes seeking treasure and adventure in a dungeon.
We rolled up two characters using 3d6, with mine being a fighter (Aelric) and Phil a magic-user (Amroth), and proceeded to have some discussion over Phil’s choice of spell, finally opting for sleep, before entering the dungeon. I was immediately hooked, even though Aelric and Amroth only made it to level 3 before being slain by a tribe of orcs.
Strangely, my strongest memory was an olfactory one: Dave had a few figures from the old Minifigs range, which he’d painted, wrapped in toilet roll and transported in an old wooden cigar box of his dad’s. The miniatures naturally adopted a smell redolent of Havana’s finest product, and I will always associate cigar smell with that very first game.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Hello out there!

I am interested in knowing about how D&D affected the existing populace when it was a brand new phenomenon.

If you started playing before 1976,

Assuming August '75 counts...

1) How did you discover D&D (or roleplaying in general)

I was at NASFIC (the North American Science Ficition Convention) '75 when I sat next to a fellow during the costume competition who had what seemed to be some kind of resolution charts in his lap. Since I was already a wargamer, I asked him what it was about. He very briefly explained and also gave me a few copies of Alarums and Excursions (an early APA that was still being published at least as of the middle of 2023). I found all the discussion fascinating, and sought out D&D (OD&D and the Greyhawk supplement) at a wargame supply shop soon thereafter.

2) What was your reaction?

Fascination. I started GMing during my first year of college after only playing two sessions at the convention I mentioned.

3) Were you a wargamer?

Yes.

3a) What kind?

Hex and chit (i.e. board wargames).

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I have hope. :) Because of what I do at Galactic Journey, I am friends with a lot of people much older than that (though it is a mixed joy; my friend Tom Purdom just passed away at the age of 87.)

Also, I'm only 49 (going on 50), and I keenly remember my introduction to D&D in 1978. The Holmes blue book was one of my first books ever.
Ah, so you were 4yo or so? Would love to hear your story too - how did you end up with Holmes in pre-school?
Funny too, at this age now, 49-50 doesn't seem much different from my 57 (soon to be 58); but back then the difference between your 4 years old and me being 12 and playing Holmes is a big difference...

Remove ads