• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The fluff difference between bladesingers and swordmages

Zaphling

First Post
Mechanics-wise, we already know, but since both classes originated from the Forgotten Realms setting, it's really confusing fluff-wise.

According to the FR book, the swordmage was first discovered by the eladrins (although the genasis also claim ownership).

With the above info given, the bladesingers were also discovered by the eladrins.

although I'm glad we have an arcane defender, but it confuses us seriously. To think the bladesinger can also act as a semi-defender.

So basically, we already have 3 or 4 sword wielding arcanists. The hexblade, swordmage, bladesinger, and bard.

So last question, where is the spellsword class?

ourchair

First Post
Mechanics-wise, we already know, but since both classes originated from the Forgotten Realms setting, it's really confusing fluff-wise.

According to the FR book, the swordmage was first discovered by the eladrins (although the genasis also claim ownership).

With the above info given, the bladesingers were also discovered by the eladrins.

although I'm glad we have an arcane defender, but it confuses us seriously. To think the bladesinger can also act as a semi-defender.

So basically, we already have 3 or 4 sword wielding arcanists. The hexblade, swordmage, bladesinger, and bard.

So last question, where is the spellsword class?
Eladrin are obviously the guys who really find different ways to swing a sword.

That's cause they're SOOOOO fey.

Zaphling

First Post
Eladrin are obviously the guys who really find different ways to swing a sword.

That's cause they're SOOOOO fey.

Hahaha. Personally, I don't like elves and their kin because being fey is just too fey for me. I like humans and dwarves. But setting faves aside, Eladrins also find ways to cast a spell.

Is it easy to build a full plate hexblade? I want to make a spellsword or mageknight-ish class

DracoSuave

First Post
Is it easy to build a full plate hexblade? I want to make a spellsword or mageknight-ish class

Actually... probably not too bad if you don't mind spending two feats on your armor!

To do it at level 1 is tricky tho--I recommend being satisfied with scale to begin with... but you can pull it off at level 2 if you start with 16/15/14/10/10/8 as your attributes...

Put the 14 in Con, the 16 in Cha, the 15 in Str.... go a Cha/Con race like Half-elf, giving you 16 Con, 18 Cha, 15 Str, take your level 1 feat as Armor Prof: Scale, and your level 2 feat as Armor Prof: Plate.

Rod Expertise will be your feat of choice, making your Rod turn into a scaling shield bonus as well.

At some point, as a hexblade, Taking Arcane Implement Proficiency and Dual Implement Spellcaster will be of benefit, but you can look down the road for that. You'll qualify for plate specialization at Epic, and you'll also qualify for Warlock Implement Expertise, which will give all your attacks that handy 19-20 crit modifier.

Klaus

First Post
I'd make a hybrid Paladin|Sorcerer, putting emphasis on Charisma (and Cha-based paladin powers) and taking Hybrid Talent (Paladin Armor Proficiency). You get plate armor from the get-go.

Zaphling

First Post
I'd make a hybrid Paladin|Sorcerer, putting emphasis on Charisma (and Cha-based paladin powers) and taking Hybrid Talent (Paladin Armor Proficiency). You get plate armor from the get-go.

Thanks for the advice as well. Although we can just refluff the paladin into a non-divine counterpart, I'm trying to build a pure arcane heavy armor warrior.

And thanks for DracoSuave for the great advice. There are pretty big choices for Cha/Con races. Tieflings and Hobgoblins come to mind.

If there was a Spellsword class, will it be significant? I pretty much imagine him as a striker/controller with access to all heavy armors and military weapons, much like the blackguard, but with area and burst attacks. Blackguards dont have that kind of attacks.

Klaus

First Post
Thanks for the advice as well. Although we can just refluff the paladin into a non-divine counterpart, I'm trying to build a pure arcane heavy armor warrior.

And thanks for DracoSuave for the great advice. There are pretty big choices for Cha/Con races. Tieflings and Hobgoblins come to mind.

If there was a Spellsword class, will it be significant? I pretty much imagine him as a striker/controller with access to all heavy armors and military weapons, much like the blackguard, but with area and burst attacks. Blackguards dont have that kind of attacks.
If you want non-divine, a Warlord|Sorcerer would work well, specially if you balance Str/Cha.

Remove ads