• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Force vs Spell Resistance

SWAT

First Post
So here I am mixing different sources, and I want the Force skills from Star Wars to be affected by Spell Resistance. For a while, the caster level check formula for beating SR has been 1d20 + total Force-using class levels. However, one of my players made an interesting point. Unlike spellcasters, you can improve your force skills without taking levels in a Force-using class (by spending skill points). So, the formula should instead be based on the skill itself. Something like 1d20 + (ranks in the Force skill - 3).

It's interesting, but I'm not completely sold on it. What do you think?

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
The level of spell (ie. Magic Missile vs Fireball) does not affect the caster level check for overcoming SR, so I do no think that the number of ranks in a Force Skill should be a factor either.

If you have a lot of ranks but few Force use levels, then you are very skilled with that one application of the Force, but are weak in the Force overall (in my opinion).

I'd say you need to completely ignore how SR is usually determined, and instead give the creatures/characters with SR a bonus to Will saves against Force Skills. That's how 'force resistance' is handled within the game(look at Hutts as an example).

Dalamar

Adventurer
Or if you don't want to go to too much trouble, just add 5 to the SR, and make it a skill check for the approriate force skill. Saves a lot of bookkeeping, but isn't really that accurate.

Last edited:

scourger

Explorer
Force resistance

Just call it Force resistance and use your system. I like it. I'm running a D&D game with jedi imported from SWRPG. I have told the players that magic & Force powers (& psoinics) are transparent; that is, they look the same and are resisted the same. I'll use your system when magic resistance comes up.

Turanil

First Post
SWAT said:
So, the formula should instead be based on the skill itself. Something like 1d20 + (ranks in the Force skill - 3).

It's interesting, but I'm not completely sold on it. What do you think?

I think it's the way to go.

Remove ads