The Fourth Goblinoid

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
There's also Dekanter Goblins from the Forgotten Realms, Forestkith Goblins, and my personal least favorite, the Varag.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
There's also Dekanter Goblins from the Forgotten Realms, Forestkith Goblins, and my personal least favorite, the Varag.
Are Dekanter those rhino gobs? They never made sense as goblins to me.
Varag are very cool though I tend to combine them with Bhargest

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Are Dekanter those rhino gobs? They never made sense as goblins to me.
Varag are very cool though I tend to combine them with Bhargest
Yeah those are the ones, red with a horn. Very weird.

Low CR enemies with advanced Feats like Spring Attack are obnoxious.

xvart.jpg

I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up xvarts on my wife's behalf. All mitflits in Pathfinder are now xvarts because they're the low level chumps she loves to smash.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
xvart.jpg

I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up xvarts on my wife's behalf. All mitflits in Pathfinder are now xvarts because they're the low level chumps she loves to smash.
And of course that path leads to boggles and boggarts are the whole realm of unseelie fae

Guang

Explorer
At start kobolds, goblins, orcs, and hobgoblins were just the 1/2, 1D-1, 1, and 1D+1 HD versions of effectively the same* thing**. (.....)But in the end, no, orcs and bugbears were mostly differentiated by the bugbears having more HD, and the occasional depiction as being ambushers.
*I guess kobolds 1 worse and hobgoblins 1 better AC also distinguishes
**Bugbears coming out in Supplement I and being 3+1 HD and getting 2-8 damage instead of 1-6 gives them a clear difference, but one created by the change in how the game worked midway through.
I had forgotten how much HD size progression came into play. I'd assumed Bugbears and Orcs had the same HD - I guess I'll have to look at that more closely.
The rest of the family in my game world is Ogres, Great Goblins, and Barghest.
I would love a more mundane Barghest (not shape-changing, not graduating back to the outer planes after consuming enough souls). They'd be a perfect Fourth Gobinoid. I'd want to see something like that in action, in literature or in an adventure to get a feel for them, though.

..and the aquatic half-octopus goblins, and snow versions of each. Lots of variety. But if you had to choose one, to be a "main" variety?
I've been seeing how they would hold up if they were a part of Dar (or pre-Dar) society. Mainly because the divisions between the goblinoid types are so vivid.

Well now that Goblins are going to be considered Fey going forward...
Maybe? (I mean RAW, yes, of course, but for me) This would be an additional, different, type of creature. Gnomes have the same kind of thing going on - you have the magical secretive keebler elves of the forest, and the technological tinkerer inventors. Two completely separare creatures (or at least societies) with nothing really in common except for the name gnome. Same with fey goblins and regular goblins.

I guess I'll eventually have to deal with the same bifurcation of post-warcraft-type Orcs and Cubicle 7 Tolkien Orcs of the Shadow. But I guess that's off topic.

Remove ads