• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Fudge Pool

Old Gumphrey

First Post
Ok. The other day over at RPG.net, I was complaining about my players' inability to track their stinking healing surges, and someone suggested that he tracks healing surges with red poker chips, and that he considers them to be trophies. Well, I just cooked up an awesome mechanic for something like this.

The Fudge Pool

Out of everything that can happen in D&D, there is little that's more annoying than missing with a daily power, missing an attack roll by 1 point, or leaving an enemy standing with 1 point of damage left. That's why you need The Fudge Pool. Everyone starts with a stack of red poker chips equal to their number of healing surges. It's simple. When you spend a surge, you throw a chip into The Fudge Pool.

Now comes the fun part. On your turn, after your attack roll, you can pull out a spent chip (or several chips), cash them in to the DM, and add that number to your total. You can also do this with damage (since typically the DM makes some sort of comment if the thing only has 1-2 HP left anyway). It helps if the DM lets you know what you need to do here; because there's already a nice penalty for using these chips in the first place!

Every time you cash one of these bad boys in, the DM can use it as an Action Point for one of his monsters! Yes, friends. You trade your cinematic awesomeness for DM shenanigans, on a predefined, clear-cut, one-to-one basis. Gotta land that Paladin's Judgement? Well, the DM's gotta see how many kobolds can fit around YOUR CORPSE, leaving you wondering if it was such a good idea! Gambling is fun, kids! If the DM wants to use more than one of these per encounter, he's gotta put the extras back into The Fudge Pool, so you can begin the Cycle of Destruction all over again!

Prepare to ratchet up the encounter tension, cinematics, and fun, when you start using The Fudge Pool at your next gaming session!

Disclaimer: not responsible for non-elite monsters suddenly flipping out and beating the crap out of your face.

Sporemine

First Post
Wow, this looks awesome.
I have yet to test it but it looks promising. One thing is, an action point for one chip seems sort of overpowered. Maybe instead of the dm using one, he/she needs to use three for an action point or do what the players can for one, using it on the traps, monsters etc. (One for the extra point of damage, attack increase, etc.)

All in all, a very interesting concept. I looks like it needs some fine tuning but this is something that I think the players would appreciate.

Kudos

-Sporemine

Last edited:

Old Gumphrey

First Post
Here might be a good place to mention that we already use 1 action point per encounter, just to make it less of a pain to track. You either use it, or lose it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads