• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The future of tabletop gaming

Nytmare

David Jose
Ah! I had seen an animated gif of this the other day, and had no idea what it was, or who had developed it! Thanks for posting this.

Stormonu

Legend
Interesting - when the "BPI" gets enhanced, that will become real interesting. Imagine if it had the resolution you see with those little toys that use pins/needles to make 3D shapes.

Torg Smith

First Post
I was thinking that as a real simple use would be to build dungeons like the old 1st edition blue maps. Have the walls lift up so you formed rooms. The projector would project the rooms contents onto the lower ones. I don't think it could project onto the walls, but that would be ok. You would need to remove all the miniatures before moving the map. To move the map, you could use hand signals. It should be able to scroll pretty well.

Nytmare

David Jose
I was thinking that as a real simple use would be to build dungeons like the old 1st edition blue maps. Have the walls lift up so you formed rooms. The projector would project the rooms contents onto the lower ones. I don't think it could project onto the walls, but that would be ok. You would need to remove all the miniatures before moving the map. To move the map, you could use hand signals. It should be able to scroll pretty well.

Nah, think outside the box. You won't need to project once they work fiberoptics into the board so that you can control the color and luminosity of each element. Miniatures can just be another board element generated entirely by the board pixels, or real world elements recognized by the board and manipulated (even remotely) like the ball. Light radii can be tracked and displayed by the board. Moving, resizing, and redesigning the map could all be incorporated into the board like they show in the concept video.

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, one thing that this type of display cannot reproduce is 'overhanging' geometry, e.g. you couldn't sculpt a tree from it. Still, it's pretty cool.

Remove ads