• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising DVD

Slink RatBane

Explorer
I saw this last Gencon and it is better then the first.

May 26, 2008

Dead Gentlemen Productions, LLC, creators of the world famous cult hit The Gamers, announces today that they have signed with Anthem Pictures to be the exclusive domestic distributor for their long-awaited feature, The Gamers: Dorkness Rising.

“The guys at Anthem Pictures really enjoyed the film and are excited about it. That was really important for us in our search,” said Don Early, Executive Director for Dead Gentlemen Productions. “We were looking to form a long-term ally in distributing to the larger markets.”

“Working with the Dead Gentlemen has been an amazing experience,” says John Frank Rosenblum, an Executive Producer of the film. “Fantasy is more than just serious elves on serious quests and we at Epic Level are looking to tell all sorts of tales in a variety of ways. The Gamers: Dorkness Rising is an amazingly funny film which has a real heart. We are so proud to be involved with it!”

Charles Adelman, the president of Anthem Pictures, described their acquisition of The Gamers: Dorkness Rising in one word: “Awesome!” Adelman noted that Anthem Pictures sells to a number of retailers and rental companies, including Netflix, Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Best Buy, Amazon.com, Target, and Borders. They will also be selling DVDs to Paizo Publishing, LLC, who will be the primary sub distributor for The Gamers: Dorkness Rising into the hobby game industry.

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising follows Lodge, Dungeon Master and budding writer, who wants his gaming group to finish their adventure. Unfortunately, they’re more interested in seducing barmaids, mooning their enemies, and setting random villagers on fire. Desperate to rein in his players, Lodge injects two newbies into the fray: a non-player character controlled by Lodge, who the power gamers immediately distrust, and the rarest gamer of all — a girl. Can the group overcome their bickering to save the kingdom, or will the evil necromancer Mort Kemnon triumph unopposed? A parody of fantasy films and the adventure gaming community, The Gamers: Dorkness Rising is a hilarious romp through the world of sword and sorcery — in this case, a world of exploding peasants, giant house cats, and undead roast turkeys. The trailer can be found at www.the-gamers.com.

Shot in high definition, The Gamers: Dorkness Rising is the most ambitious feature film that Dead Gentlemen Productions has produced to date. It was test screened in 2006 at the Gen Con game fair to standing ovations and standing room only. Creators of the Dragonlance novels & New York Times Bestselling authors, Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis, called it “A critical hit!… Original and funny - a real treat for fans of both fantasy and gaming.” You can find other responses to the film and add your own on their listing at IMDb.

The movie will be released for sale on DVD through Paizo at the Gen Con game fair in Indianapolis on August 14th, 2008.

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
This announcement is long overdue, to be honest.

I can only conclude (and yes, I am a lawyer) that there was some serious legal wrangling and threatened lawsuits which prevented this from being released on a more timely basis. This two year delay circling the airport has served only to diminish interest and value in the film. Sad.

Whatever the case, I shall certainly purchase the DVD at Gencon and look forward to it.

Fedifensor

Explorer
Steel_Wind said:
This two year delay circling the airport has served only to diminish interest and value in the film. Sad.

Whatever the case, I shall certainly purchase the DVD at Gencon and look forward to it.

Apparently, it didn't diminish your interest... :)

Meloncov

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
I can only conclude (and yes, I am a lawyer) that there was some serious legal wrangling and threatened lawsuits which prevented this from being released on a more timely basis. This two year delay circling the airport has served only to diminish interest and value in the film. Sad.

The timetable is actually only slightly worse than typical for an independent movie. Finding distributors takes time.

Also, given that the film was made with the express permission and often the financial support of all the game companies that could potentially sue, I doubt there were any legal problems.

Slink RatBane

Explorer
You can now preorder with paizo.

PZODED23000_500.jpeg

Last edited:

Remove ads