• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Gate Pass Irregulars: A War of the Burning Sky Campaign

Cafu

First Post
Katrina's betrayal was a complete surprise. We had no idea; we did interact quite a bit with her and the GM played her straight. She timed her switch beautifully. So much so in fact that initially when we saw the vision, I thought that it was the Temple messing with our minds as per the old monk's warning that Forty One would try to corrupt our memories.

Yes, caster to caster fight; in fact, this is a truly epic battle all the way around and very different from the fight against Rhuarc.

Finally got a high enough Bluff skill that I was able to slip a few spells through the rebuking of the Inquisitors; first time, I think.

Cafu

First Post
A new vision began at that point; Shaaladel was watching his warriors chaining up a Taranesti onto one of the trees in the Forest of Ycengled. The elven mage present in the room was with him; a scout rushes up and points straight at us. Shaaladel looks disturbed, takes out an amulet and disappears. The elven mage forms up a squad of warriors and appears in shadowy form in the room, ready to combat everyone; so confusingly, we had the real version, fighting Longhelim and a shadow version, seemingly just as effective, blasting spells at the rest of us.

Katrina moved away from the Inquisitor at this point, to the far end of the room and cast another spell at us; it was another of the fire spells which was a speciality of Gabal. I did not have defences against it any longer and at this point, all I could feel was burning, burning……..

When I came to, I felt awful. Everything was dark. I felt a terrible drain, both mental and physical. Then my eyes cleared and I found myself in the same gods accursed room filled with battling elves, Victor still confronting Katrina in the air, the walls of flame and our other enemies facing us. The one big difference was that a naked Drudge was now about and running to Shalosha who had his bow in hand.

“What happened?” I shouted at Felix.

“Longhelim’s mum saved us!” he shouted back cryptically. I had no idea what that meant but I made sure to remember to ask just what had happened.

Just then, I could see another vision in the other side of the room. Shalosha and her father are sitting alone and the Princess is speaking:

“Father, this conflict against the Taranesti is tearing our people apart. Is there no other way?”

The King is silent for several moments and then replies:

“I wish there was another way; I cannot think of one. I would that there was. Yet, to ensure the survival of my people and of you, my dear daughter, I would give my life.”

Shalosha bows her head:

“I cannot see another way either. I had hoped your greater wisdom would perhaps have conceived of one. I will go to Seaquen; I will act with honour for the good of our people.”

The vision faded at this point. Victor was swirling his blade around Katrina and slashing through her magical images; each slash destroyed one. The elven mage moved forward and tapped Longhelim with some sort of magic because the paladin was badly staggered. Drudge managed to get his bow and quiver back from Shalosha and immediately began to fire arrows at the enemy; the mage to be exact. The elf looked shocked as he saw four arrows sprouting from his torso and he slowly toppled over. Katrina was looking desperate now. Victor had carved his way through her images and struck her several times. She flew away from him, through one of the walls of flame and out of sight.

Another vision appears. This time, it shows the Golden Dragon Syana in her full glory, fighting against a younger Coaltongue and his orcs; the orc in the red armour is guarding a baby golden dragon, presumably Syana’s daughter, Trilla. Another notable figure is an evil outsider, a bone devil, fighting on Coaltongue’s side. Yet another outsider, this time a trumpet archon, fights on Syana’s side.

Suddenly, a squad of Ragesian warriors appears in the room and begins to swing at us. Victor had to abandon his pursuit of Katrina and fly down to defend myself and Felix from the Ragesians. Two of them had already struck me as Victor faced them; or rather they faced him briefly before he cut their shadowy forms into pieces.

Longhelim was now fighting Etienne. She was swinging a vicious looking claw at him and striking more often than not. Drudge began to fire his arrows at her now and she was suffering badly. Longhelim had been weakened, Drudge had not.

Then another vision occurs; this one is climatic:

Rhuarc confronts Coaltongue and Bright Shadow slices through the half orc’s weapon. Coaltongue snarls and turns to the Bone Devil. He rips out the outsider’s thigh bone and smashes it against the trumpet archon, killing the outsider instantly. The thigh bone flickers with the smallest of flames; the sheer ferocity of the blow staggers Rhuarc and the elf is incapacitated momentarily. Syana is flying above them and readies to fly in for a combat run. Coaltongue walks to the captive Trilla and calls out to Syana to surrender or her daughter will die. Syana flies in notwithstanding. Coaltongue screams at his warriors to fire and clouds of arrows soar into the sky. Despite this, Syana flies into this cloud of death and breathes a line of fire; simultaneously, Coaltongue smashes the thigh bone into the skull of Trilla. Everything is enveloped in the flames of a golden dragon and one end of the thigh bone bursts into fire……

The vision clears and in the spot on the floor where we had seen Trilla, a diamond sliver lay, glistening in the light.

I wondered if that meant……

I was rudely interrupted from my ruminations as I had to dodge several axe blows from Ragesian soldiers. Then there was a shout from behind the wall of flame:

“Your magic won’t help you now, you treacherous slut! You can run but you can’t hide!”

As I was dodging orcs, I missed that Victor had dived through the wall after Katrina; he must have acquired more fire defence from somewhere. Longhelim was still confronting Etienne, who continued to swing at him with her metal claw hand; and striking very efficiently if the amount of blood on the paladin was anything to go by. Drudge also continued to target the Inquisitor and then I saw that she cast a powerful healing spell and all her wounds closed. Drudge hit her with another volley again and that was enough to make her to move into the acidic cloud. She was obviously protected and her magic also allowed her to move freely within. This allowed the ranger and paladin a brief respite. Drudge fired a volley at the remaining orc warriors and that dealt with most of them.

Two things happened almost simultaneously: John ran over and scooped up the diamond sliver on the floor and immediately began shouting the following:

“I can see a small child inside the diamond; it’s not saying anything, just staring at me.”

Victor appeared through the wall at this point, with Katrina’s form over his shoulder. Unceremoniously, he dumped her to the ground and then landed next to Felix, who immediately tapped him with a wand. Then we all heard a grating sound behind the wall of flame which faced to the east of us. Suddenly, a gap appeared in the fire, revealing a figure standing in the flame, completely unconcerned at the heat. He was a rather small man, wearing little more than a loincloth, with curly hair and brown skin. The most noticeable feature about him were his arms, the lower part of which resembled those of a bear, including the claws.

This was Forty One, corrupt Master of the Temple and our ultimate opponent in this Trial and probably the Temple itself.

He cocked his head and said almost musingly:

“So, you’ve found what you came for. Too bad you don’t know what to do with it.”

Then he turned to the priest and just stared at him. I didn’t know what he did but Felix shuddered and grunted as if in pain.

“He’s connected me to him magically! Somehow, whatever he feels, I feel!” shouted the priest.

This presented the warriors with a problem as they couldn’t physically assault Forty One without a risk to Felix. The monk just grinned and shimmied a little in the fire. At first, I couldn’t understand why he stayed in there but now it became clear; any hurt he suffered, he passed on to his victim, in this case Felix. Victor ran up and struck him with the flat of his blade. It created a large bruise but did not draw blood. The monk frowned and concentrated on Victor but the warrior’s fury was evident and he shrugged off whatever it was that Forty One was attempting.

There was still no sign of Etienne, who was hiding in the acidic cloud.

My spell of speed disappeared so I renewed it and the two warriors now began combating Forty One in earnest. He did little to defend himself; in fact he relished both being hurt and burned because every time that happened, Felix suffered. Both Felix himself and John were using their wands to maintain the priest conscious.

At that moment, the acidic cloud disappeared to reveal Etienne bristling against the back wall. She looked unhurt and I immediately loosed a series of force missiles against her; only to see them being sucked into an amulet she wore around her neck.

It did not matter though as moments later, Drudge turned and using his full speed, shot a full volley into her; his aim was particularly noteworthy as he put two of the arrows straight through her throat, choking whatever devilry she had been attempting!

She had no defence left against Sir Salubrious Drudge and Etienne powerful Inquisitor and confidant of Leska slowly slid to the ground, leaving a bloody smear on the wall behind her!

Victor and Longhelim finally struck Forty One so heavily with the flat of their blades that the monk fell and then disappeared! We all looked at each other, suspecting some sort of trick or illusion; something was not right. This was proved right as Forty One appeared again, in the middle of the wall, grinning maliciously at us. We looked at each other perplexed.

Victor shouted rhetorically:

“How do we kill him?”

Almost has if he had heard, an apparition appeared in the middle of the room. It was the old monk:

“Remember the powers of the Temple. He’s immortal in this form……”

With a shriek of rage, Forty One contorted his face and concentrated on the apparition which then literally burst into fragments. However, he had said enough!

It was John who first shouted:

“He’s absorbed the powers of the other monks! That’s how he’s got so many powers! And why he’s invulnerable in this form; he’s absorbed the abilities of the most powerful people who wanted to test their skills!”

Simultaneously, something occurred to me:

“John, try using the Temple’s abilities with the soul in the gem. See if you can make contact with it and find out how to put it into the Torch.”

As he was fighting, it was Longhelim who the shouted:

“John, come and get the Torch; Faden, use your magical wall; we’ll get behind it and try all this there. It should keep Forty One out.”

Shalosha joined in at this point. The elven princess had been quiet up to that point:

“I’ve got that spell. I’ll put it up now and move behind it!”

She cast the spell, almost sealing off one corner of the room but leaving a small gap for us to join her; then she and her bodyguard moved behind it. John was concentrating and did not say anything; he was obviously in communication with someone or something else. He did go to Longhelim and took the Torch; then he joined the elves; rapidly, everyone else began to move behind the magical wall. Drudge was still helping Felix, who was still being hurt; I was last and as I moved, I cast my spell to seal us behind our spells.

There was a shriek of rage from Forty One as he felt that he had been thwarted somehow; he was almost like a child; every time something didn’t go his way, he started screaming and stamping his feet. We had troubles of our own though; John was not looking very well. Something had gone terribly, terribly wrong while he had been communicating with the gem/child/soul fragment. The rogue was pale, shaking and almost collapsed:

“The Torch is sentient! I’m not strong enough to master it! Longhelim, you take it! You have the best chance!”

The paladin took the Torch gingerly and the strain could be seen on his face momentarily. There was another petulant shriek from Forty One and it looked as if he almost struck himself several times, each one eliciting a shudder from Felix. Thankfully, he was still able to heal himself. Longhelim then straightened and said:

“The Torch is mine! I know what to do now!”

Forty One disappeared from the wall. The sliver of diamond in John’s hand dimmed. John was still suffering, whimpers of agony escaping from his lips. We didn’t know what to do. Through shaking lips, he gasped:

“The Torch! It’s trying to take my soul. I wasn’t strong enough to master it so it thinks it can master me! Make it stop, Longhelim!”

“I can’t! This is part of the ritual. If you cannot master it then it gets a chance to master you. It does that by taking your soul. There is nothing I can do about that. Felix?”

“There’s nothing I have that will help him now. He’ll just have to ride it out.”

John fell to the ground and began to retch blood. It was very worrying; Felix was next to him and tried to make him comfortable while wincing as he was obviously still suffering blows every so often. Then the wall of flame dimmed and revealed the wall; in its middle, there was now a raised portcullis which had not been there before.

“We have to go through,” said Longhelim, “he’s back there. We’ve got to finish this.”

Just before we left, I turned to the Princess:

“Your Highness, your presence here is surprising?”

I turned the statement into an invitation, hoping she would explain. She took my cue immediately:

“We, at Shaaladel, knew there was a traitor high in the council at Seaquen; we needed to flush him or her out. I did that although I must say, I was surprised by her identity. Leska must be truly desperate to reveal such an important asset to us.”

I glanced at Katrina’s body:

“I have a horrible feeling that she won’t be the last one; after Lee Sidoneth and now Katrina, I have come to the conclusion that Seaquen just does not have the mindset to look for betrayal. They’re magicians, academics, loremasters and librarians; they’re not spies or assassins. Leska is unlikely to have been willing to reveal Katrina if she did not have someone else in place.”

Shalosha nodded thoughtfully and then said:

“We will talk about this later, Master Tarabond. Are we ready to confront the monk beyond the portcullis?”

Cafu

First Post
Felix was healing himself with the help of Drudge; Victor was helping John and Longhelim was ready to go forward. I noticed that the Torch now had an axe head. At Longhelim’s nod, Shalosha negated the magical wall and we rapidly moved forward. John was finally able to move forward on his own; he was as weak as a kitten but at least the Torch was not trying to devour his soul any more.

Practical as ever, we first moved to the bodies of our recent enemies and I cast a small cantrip which showed us their magical equipment; as one can imagine from such a powerful group, there were several pieces all of which we appropriated; this was done quickly and then we readied to go through the portcullis.

Longhelim went first but we followed him up immediately; John could still barely move so he was last. Beyond a short corridor was another room, in the middle of which was a small shrine. The walls of this room bore huge mirrors in which we glimpsed a whole myriad of atrocities which seemed to be happening at this moment. There was one exception; one of the walls looked like a cracked white wall with the fissure going into the horizon.

The shrine was an open structure with no walls but four columns on each corner which supported a pointed roof.

The figure of Forty One stared at us as we entered and immediately attacked Victor mentally, who thankfully managed to shrug off the effect, whatever it may have been; we could also see an aged withered figure balancing perfectly on the point of the roof of the shrine.

“That’s the real Forty One!” I shouted, pointing upwards.

Victor and Longhelim were already ahead of me with the former grabbing the latter and flying to the level of the old figure; Longhelim needed just one swipe to topple the figure over. As soon as that happened, the figure on the ground winked out of existence and there were no more visible threats.

Warily, we waited for several moments, ready for anything. It was difficult to believe that after our ordeal, this may have been the end of it; still we waited but soon realised that there were no more threats. Slowly we relaxed and I began to look around further. The atrocities shown on the walls were unpleasant; Ragesians armies were certainly laying waste to everything they could and being typically Ragesian.

Looking up, I saw that there was a huge collection of scrolls in the shrine. Again, I cast my cantrip and was overjoyed when they all radiated an aura of magic; this was a veritable treasure trove!

We searched the area thoroughly but did not find anything else. So we moved back to our combat arena and collected all the pieces we had taken from the Ragesian expedition. Then Longhelim turned to Shalosha:

“Your Highness, we plan to return to Seaquen now; would you like to come with us or would you prefer to return to your father?”

Her reply was immediate:

“You have scored a notable victory here; we have exposed the traitor and you have the Torch. Use your advantage quickly and wisely. Anything that you do will force the Ragesians to divert resources and weaken their attack on my people. Be careful though; Leska will do anything to get the Torch; she will use assassins, spies, thieves, diplomats and above all magic; she will not think twice of sacrificing any of her armies if she believes that there is a chance to retrieve it. You must not allow that! If she gets it, all will be lost! Look to your families!”

I must return to my people; they are sorely pressed but this news will change everything!”

I nodded; I did not expect anything else. I hoped that her father would not be hard on her; I had no doubts that Shaaladel had instructed her to take the Torch away from us if she could. Thankfully, she had not and judging by the fact that the elven mage had attacked us directly and one of the visions had connected him directly with the King, suggested that Shalosha had made her own interpretation of her orders during the battle.

What she had said about our responsibilities in carrying the Torch had also provided food for thought.

As I was mulling all this over, we willed ourselves to the front room with the mirror and the rings on the floor.

At this point, I said to Longhelim:

“We need to be careful; there may or may not be a whole contingent of enemy out there waiting for us; I think we need change into mist form and be ready to fly out and full speed.”

The paladin replied:

“No need; we’ll use the Torch; it’ll transport us magically.”

He turned to Shalosha:

“Princess, be careful! What Faden says holds true for you as well. There may be an ambush waiting outside.”

She smiled at us:

“I realise that; that’s why I plan transport myself and Rihalles some distance and do that at least twice more to evade any pursuers. Good luck; we shall meet again no doubt.”

After that, she disappeared.

As soon as she had gone, Longhelim quickly said:

“Good. Now she’s gone, let me tell you about the powers of the Torch:

This is in case I should fall and someone needs to pick it up. Anyone else who does touch it will need to be a strong warrior and a mentally powerful to master it. Insofar as it can be mastered, it reacts best to a warrior. I would suggest either Victor or Drudge. Now as to its abilities: it acts as an incredibly powerful weapon in two forms; as an axe and a morning star. Its abilities are legendary. I can transport myself a short distance very quickly or, taking a little longer, I can transport myself and my companions a much longer distance, pretty much anywhere in the world. The wielder and his companions can travel magically with no ill effects from the Burning Sky. Finally, three times a day, it can transport armies; this power needs souls to power it; an intelligent, evil creature needs to be sacrificed before activation. The last is distasteful but if it means the salvation of Gate Pass at the risk of damming my soul, so be it. Oh, and if that wasn’t enough, it can blast out a huge fire spell three times a day; and when I say its enormous, it really is enormous.”

Yet again something powered by souls. First Coaltongue’s carriage, then Bright Shadow, which thirsted for souls, now the Torch which needed souls for its most powerful ability. There was definitely a pattern developing here.

Longhelim continued:

“I suggest we transport ourselves just outside Seaquen as previously and then walk in. We don’t want everyone to know we have retrieved the Torch.”

We nodded and made ready but before Longhelim was able to activate it, we saw one last vision. We were back in the room with the shrine and the mirror which had previously shown a blank wall suddenly showed an image; the masked figure of an Inquisitor prostrated herself in front of Coaltongue sitting on his throne. He looked down. Her voice could clearly be heard:

“My Emperor, the quest is complete: the lost secret of immortality. The Aquiline Heart is ours.”

Then the vision fade and Longhelim activated the Torch.

We went through the familiar fiery tunnel but this time the flames did not touch us and we landed in a field a short distance outside Seaquen.

As we walked through the countryside, we could see that the armies from Dassen and Sindaire were still there. As previously, our entrance into the town was nothing short of tumultuous. People cheered us, our names were shouted and there were even calls for Longhelim to be declared the leader of the Resistance. We greeted several people we had seen before but we made our way into the Lyceum as quickly as possible. There, another welcome awaited us, this time from the students who also cheered our arrival, shouted questions and called out our names.

As we reached the inner sanctum of the building, Kiernan the dwarven mage was waiting for us. He quickly took us to Simeon, who was in his study with his usual bevy of advisors. As soon as we arrived, these were ushered out, leaving only us, Kiernan and a few others, including Torrent. Simeon went to the point immediately, his voice very grave:

“We’ve finally managed to decode the papers you brought to us from Gate Pass all those months ago. They revealed that we have a traitor high up in our councils; we have to find this individual as quickly as possible. Our whole war plans could be compromised! We dare not continue anything until this is resolved!”

Longhelim smiled thinly:

“Well, apart from the Lee Sidoneth, the other traitor was Katrina; we retrieved the Torch but in the process met a Ragesian group who tried to stop us. Katrina was among them……..”

Longhelim then went on to briefly detail what had happened to us since we departed for the Haunted Forest of Ycengled.

Several questions from everyone in the room quickly followed after the paladin’s report:

“So Shalaadel slaughtered a whole tribe of his people?”

“This Rhuarc was the assassin?”

“How did he do it?”

“What? You have the emperor’s head and body with you? Show us!”

“Can we see this scimitar?”

“Can you describe this Ragesian group? I have heard of Etienne. She is or was I should say, one of Leska’s most trusted advisors.”

The questions went on and on; but it was established that Katrina was traitor. I also reminded Simeon and Kiernan that it was Rantle, her brother who first asked us to find her and take her to Seaquen; this may or may not have been significant but should be at least be investigated. Rantle was a well known figure in Gate Pass but it could be a perfect cover if he was also in the pay of the Ragesians; after all, being in the councils of the Resistance seemed to work very well as cover for both Lee Sidoneth and Katrina.

Finally, after a long report and debriefing we were allowed to return to our rooms. Just before we left, Simeon told us:

“You have given us priceless information and just as importantly, you have dealt with the traitor. I can say that I can think of no one else who could have done this. On behalf of the Resistance, I thank you. I also want to thank you personally. We can now go ahead plan our campaign. We will hold a war council in two days. We would welcome your attendance.”

I couldn’t help but be a little skeptical of his words; not his gratitude; that I felt was sincere; my skepticism was about the presence of more traitors within Seaquen; we had dealt with Katrina but she was the second highly placed individual in the Lyceum that was revealed to be in the pay of the enemy; the first was Lee Sidoneth as Longhelim had mentioned; unfortunately, Seaquen was a magician’s academy and ill suited for counter espionage; it had become the headquarters of the Resistance by dint of geography and default; as such, the mages were ill equipped to root out spies in their midst; we could only hope that Simeon realised this as well and restricted the campaign plan to very few individuals on a need to know basis.

As we were going to our rooms, Longhelim said:

“Right, Faden, please learn your divination spell tomorrow that will reveal the properties of all those pieces of equipment we collected. Once we understand what they do, we need to distribute them.”

That night, I found it difficult to get to sleep. The events we witnessed were momentous; not only witnessed but instigated; if the course of events continued like this, history would be changed. If we could move the armies that were here with the Torch, then Leska would have to rethink her strategy. I just hoped we would be fast enough.

My mind began to go through what I remembered about the visions we had had in the Temple in more detail. If they were true, and the unmasking of Katrina as a traitor suggested they were certainly so, then they were an absolute treasure trove of information. It was almost as if Forty One had been able to pluck knowledge and memories not just from us but also from the Ragesians and Shalosha. Some of the visions seemed to be obvious while some were still a mystery.

The vision where Coaltongue created the Torch was hugely important; not only did it tell us how the Torch was made but it also suggested that part of Trilla’s soul was somehow connected or trapped within the Torch. That was a mystery still to be investigated but at least some of it was revealed. It was obviously also something that had happened in the past.

The vision of the ballroom, also in the past, confirmed that Katrina was a spy and that she had been a servant of Leska; also that Leska’s relationship with Shalaadel was certainly quite close in a competitive way; the implication was that they were both subordinate to Coaltongue and rival to each other at one point.

The vision that showed a woman with monk’s robes flying down to speak to one of the Inquisitors as he was assaulting a Shahalesti stronghold was mysterious. I had not worked out the implications or meaning of that one.

The vision which showed Etienne and Leska having a conversation while the former was braiding the hair of the latter was troublesome; I had gone through my journals and found the name Kreven; he was the second most powerful Inquisitor; or at least he was the second in command in the Inquisition which suggested that he was second most powerful Inquisitor. The vision told us that he had collected six hundred spell casters for the Scourge, some sort of ritual which would allow Leska to achieve her goal without the Torch; I remembered that one of the reasons for my rather hurried exit out of Gate Pass was fear of this Scourge; that was very concerning, especially as a very tight timeline of only a month had been mentioned. I made a note to ask Simeon to see if he had been able to find out anything about The Scourge.

In addition, there were the visions with the Shahalesti, showing both the ruthlessness and single-mindedness of Shalaadel for his people to triumph. That kind of fanaticism was corrosive and ultimately just another side of the coin to Ragesian the philosophy that might is right.

Finally, the last vision was the most telling and significant of all. It suggested that Leska had found the Aquiline Heart and she was planning to make herself immortal, if she wasn’t already. I remembered that Coaltongue was also supposed to have been immortal and wondered if that had something to do with it.

Suddenly I remembered something else; I knew that it would worry me so I got up and went to Felix’s door. I knocked on it. I had to do it several times until there was an answer.

“Who is it?” Felix’s voice came from inside. He sounded a little put out; maybe he was praying.

“It’s me. I’m writing up my journal. You said that Longhelim’s mum saved us, back in the Temple. What did you mean?”

“I’m getting ready to sleep. Can’t this wait until the morning?”

“You know what it’s going to be like tomorrow morning. Everyone is going to ask me to cast the divination on the equipment; every time I’m going to ask you to tell me, then someone will want something else and it will be put off and put off again until it will just be forgotten.”

“Oh, very well; come in and I’ll tell you.”

The priest opened the door and poured us both a hot drink. Then he began:

“I am afraid that we lost you after Katrina blasted you with her fire. You were then also burned from the wall. That left only the four of us. A new vision appeared. It showed Longhelim as a boy, lying on the bed, unconscious and a woman praying at his bedside. In her prayer, she pledged her life and soul in exchange for her son’s. Heironeous must have heard the prayer; Longhelim began to stir but as he did, she collapsed. That was in the vision; in the room, both you and Drudge were returned to us, while the rest of the group was cured of all wounds and ills.”

I gaped at him, wide eyed:

“You mean I died? I don’t remember any of this!”

He smiled gently at me:

“I don’t think you’re supposed to remember it; and you were only gone for a short while; I don’t even think your soul had a chance to leave your body yet, but yes, you left us, even if for only a few moments.”

I stood up shaken and thanked the priest. Then, I stumbled back to my room, still overwhelmed by what Felix had told me.

Cafu

First Post
As one can imagine, with all of these thoughts, my night’s rest was fitful at best but I managed to get up in the morning and learn all the spells from my arsenal. I still felt out of sorts after I had burned in the Temple and there was a feeling that somehow I had lost something, some power or ability but least now I knew why. I shook myself; life went on and it was always a learning process; and I had been given another chance.

The next morning, we met in Longhelim’s room. Poor John was still suffering after his tussle with the Torch and our first order of business was to make him better. Thankfully, Felix had access to this magic and moments later the rogue was back to his old self.

Then, just as we were about to start, there was a knock on the door. Irritated, Longhelim went to the door and spoke:

“Who is it?”

“Sargeant Thomas, sir. Professor Simeon has appointed me and three others to be your bodyguards.”

We glanced at each other. Bodyguards? We had never had these before. Simeon must have been really spooked after the revelations about Katrina if he had designated bodyguards for us here in the Lyceum. I was very glad that he was taking the whole security aspect of the Lyceum so seriously.

The paladin glanced at us and I could see that Victor had carefully already unsheathed his sword and Drudge had strung his bow; just because someone said something behind a closed a door…….so, just in case, I also readied some components. Longhelim, after checking that everyone was ready, unlocked the door and stepped back, drawing his own weapon. Then he called out:

“Door’s open!”

It opened and a soldier was present behind it. Three others were with him; one of them looked like a priest of some sort, albeit very young and there was also one of the wizard students. The last person was another soldier, again very young. The oldest person was Sargeant Thomas the spokesman. He was looking at us cautiously and held out a piece of paper to Longhelim.

The paladin read it and motioned the foursome to come in. He turned to us and said:

“Apparently, we all have our own team of bodyguards waiting for us in our rooms. If they had all come in here, they wouldn’t have been able to fit in. They will be looking after us while we are in the Lyceum.”

He turned around again and said:

“Come in, Sargeant, come in and close the door. We’re just about to perform some magic and discuss a few things; please make yourself comfortable.”

The four entered but the sergeant immediately put them in strategic points in the room and then kept quiet. At least the man seemed professional even if the other three did look as if they had just come out of school.

Longhelim continued:

“Right, shall we carry on?”

So, I began to cast my magic and delved into the mysteries of the various pieces which we had found or won. There were a lot of miscellaneous magical weapons which were useful but not as good as most of the weapons which we already possessed. The most exotic and valuable weapon by far was the double headed sword which had belonged to one of the drow women; not only was it magical, it also had an ability to cause wounds to bleed without stopping while making them very difficult to heal. It was a very unusual and highly specialized weapon. Victor swung it experimentally but then said rather regretfully that he just did not have the time to train with it.

There were various other items which proved far more useful: Two pairs of gloves which increased the speed and general co-ordination of those who wore them; Felix and I wore those, mostly because everyone else was already wearing useful gloves of some sort. The elven mage had been wearing a precious headband which helped his spell casting; it was a very powerful piece and would now aid my spell casting. Surprisingly, Katrina’s beautiful red robe was highly magical. It was made of a strange satin like fabric which shimmered in the light and suddenly I had an idea. I put it on and turned to John:

“John, I want to try something. I am going to try my spell dueling with this on. Please tell me how easily you can spot when I am about to release the spell. I am going to try it with the robe and without.”

I tried to cast a spell using my spell dueling skills and just held off from releasing the spell. John asked me to do it several times and then said:

“The robe definitely makes a difference. It makes it much harder to follow your movements. The colour, the shimmering material and the movement of it distracts and fools the eye. I would definitely suggest your wear it against the Inquisitors.”

So, I ended up wearing Katrina’s red robe. Being magical, it had already adjusted to my size and I must say, looked very smart; presumably that was part of its magic.

We also had two Inquisitor’s masks, one of which was particularly powerful but those were stored in a magical bag. Wearing them would have been very advantageous but it would also have had certain social implications which would have been detrimental to put it mildly.

There was one last, very unpleasant incident.

Still working with my magic, I took one of the scrolls which we had found in the inner shrine of the Temple of Echoed Souls and glanced at it……and was promptly violently ill on the floor. Everyone stared at me with concern and Felix gave me a few potions and a little medicine to recover.

Then, he asked:

“What on earth was all that about?”

With my finger hand still shaking slightly, I pointed at the scroll on the floor:

“That…that thing! It is the vilest, most horrible thing I have ever read! It is divine in nature but from just a glance, it is a set of instructions for an evil priest. It’s incredibly powerful……”

As soon as I said this, Longhelim turned and concentrated on the rest of the scrolls:

“I didn’t think to do this, but yes, you’re right; there is a sense of overwhelming evil coming from those scrolls; we’d better find a safe place for them until we find out how to dispose of them.”

I shuddered:

“They really are dark and vile!”

I turned around quickly.

“John, don’t even think about it. Honestly, I know you think that you are open minded about most things, but really, you’d be a candle in the wind!”

The rogue made a face and stopped edging towards the scrolls.

During a large part of the rest of the day, we arranged for the sale of many of the weapons and shields. Thankfully, the presence of two armies made the demand for these pieces particularly healthy and we had no trouble doing some brisk business; unfortunately, for the same reason, there was a dearth of piece to purchase in Seaquen. I was able to make one important purchase which was all the diamond dust available in the school. I still had a little money left though.

I thought for a moment and then said:

“Let’s go to Bresk. We should be able to find some good things there.”

Sargeant Thomas spoke up at this point:

“It is my duty to warn you that it is my considered opinion that Bresk would definitely be unsafe for you at this time and would strongly recommend against this course of action.”

I was a little startled but also impressed. The Sargeant was taking his job very seriously and he was right of course. There was no doubt, thinking about it, that Leska would have agents scouring everywhere for us; as soon as we made a public appearance, plans would be put in place and I had no doubt that our descriptions would have been circulated everywhere by now. I also shuddered to think just what the bounty on our heads was right now.

“Thank you Sargeant; I forgot myself and you’re quite right.”

Turning to the others, I said:

“We should just keep our money for the moment. We should get ready for the war council. No doubt a lot of them will have lots of questions. So, just to refresh everyone’s memories, this is how I remembered it in my journals………”

I squinted at the page of magical formulae. It was a very difficult spell already and I was making it even more complicated. Of course, it was very powerful; that’s why it was so annoyingly complicated. Yet, I wanted to change it; as written, it was dangerous to anyone in its path; which wouldn’t really make it of any use if our allied warriors were in front of me. So, I had to think of a way to shape the spell around them; that was the true complication. Yet I was sure there was a way to accomplish this. I concentrated on the page once more. I had already copied most of the orthodox spell into my book; now I was just working with the formulae to see if I could adjust it to my purposes.

I lost track of time; the Seaquen magical library had that effect on me. It was a quiet, relaxing place to work, especially after the busy morning I had had, what with identifying magical items, being introduced to new bodyguards and my participation in the eventual sale of the above pieces.

People came and went but they were quiet and respectful. I was sitting at a table on my own; once or twice I saw some students glancing up at me but I really wasn’t paying attention.

There, that was a key change I had to make; and if I made one there, that meant that I had to look at what the consequences were on this section…….

Some time later, a person sat right next to me; I didn’t know quite how long he had been there; I was making real progress with the problem I was having with that spell.

Then someone whispered in my ear:

“What you doing, Faden?”

A little irritated, I turned around and saw John sitting there, grinning. Looking around, I stood up, and motioned him to follow me. We went outside and had a quick chat in the corridor:

“John, I’m almost there! I think if I study that spell for a little longer, I’ll be able to make it do what I want!”

“What do you mean? Spells do what you want already. You cast them and they have effects; that’s the way magic works, isn’t it?”

“Yes, yes, but this spell is different; for a start, it’s a huge cone; and it affects people within it as if they were suddenly exhausted. It sucks their vitality. Unfortunately, at the moment, if that cone hits our warriors, then it’ll affect them as well. I’m trying to find a way around that.”

“Faden, you really think you can do that? My word, if you can then you’ll have to teach me how to do it. That would be……unbelievable.”

“It is proving quite complicated; I have to factor in various new aspects into the spell. I need time. I have to put the spell into my book and then work on it as we’re travelling.”

I stretched my arms:

“Do you want to go for a hot drink? I need a little break. I have been working on this for……actually I don’t know. What’s the time?”

“It’s lunchtime; when you did start?”

“Just after we finished with the divination spells on the items early this morning; how long ago was that?”

Just then, I noticed two soldiers had come to the corridor next to us and were watching. John turned to them and asked:

“Yes, can we help you?”

The elder man replied:

“We’re Sir Faden’s bodyguard.”

Suddenly it came back to me:

“Oh Lord, I’d forgotten about them.”

Turning to the soldier, I asked:

“From what I was told, there should be another two of you. Where is the other pair?”

“They’re inside the library, waiting for us and you, sir.”

“Ummm, have you been watching over me all this time?”

“Yes, sir. Me and the crowds.”

“Sorry?”

John interrupted at this point:

“Faden, you’re so dense sometimes. You’re the mage that brought back the Torch; you’ve been doing things with magic that others only dream about. There’re students out there that are following your every move. I bet that there is a crowd around your spell books at the moment, trying to work out what you’ve done this morning; there’re others who are looking at every book you’ve used. It’s like that for all of us; Victor is in the garden at the moment, doing some funny exercises; or trying to at least. As soon as he began, others tried to follow him. That didn’t work so he’s now holding a class of basic fighting moves before they hurt themselves. Felix has disappeared to a Temple; I think the priests wanted to pick his brains. From what he told me, some of the stuff he’s been doing has been pretty much legend and myth to most of them; they’d really like to know how and what he can do. Longhelim is just sitting there, staring at the Torch; I think he’s talking to it!”

John shuddered at this point:

“Rather him than me. I’ve had quite enough of that bone. Anyway, Drudge is hiding somewhere. I think he’s gone into the city; or maybe he was stopped by his bodyguards and he’s hiding in the Lyceum somewhere; I don’t know. I’ve come to learn some magic as well so we’d better get back and don’t waste any more time.”

I stared at him speechlessly. He was almost certainly right but I really hadn’t noticed anyone watching me or my work as I was concentrating.

Frowning because I thought he may have been pulling my leg, I asked:

“What about you then? How come you haven’t got a little group following you?”

He grinned:

“Basically, because I can give them the slip; amazing what some judiciously applied invisibility magic can do; also, remember, I don’t always look like me; and finally, remember that I choose to study many disciplines; which means I can do lots of things quite well but I do not aspire to mess around with the complicated magics the way Felix and you do.”

I walked back with John and the bodyguards and was just in time to hear a hushed warning; as I entered, I just about spotted some fast movement away from my workspace; just like in school when we had been somewhere where we shouldn’t have been and the teacher had entered; except that this time I was the teacher.

Wordlessly, I moved to my spell books and kept the one I had been working with; the others I took to the largest knots of students and put a volume in front of each:

“Read them, use them, respect them; then return them!”

They looked stunned and then eagerly began to leaf through the books. John grinned and pored over his own substantial books. After that I settled down to more research. I was going to solve that problem, no matter what!

Last edited:

carborundum

Adventurer
Nice to occasionally remind the pcs that they're super-duper :)
Great update, thanks!

Edit: removed niggling and nit-picking

Last edited:

Cafu

First Post
Time passed; I wasn’t sure how long but I had made a breakthrough; it didn’t solve the problem but I was a step closer. I looked up and was surprised to see that it was dark outside. John was still engrossed in his own work but the library was mostly deserted with only our bodyguards present; all eight of them looked very bored now. My books had been carefully stacked near my elbow; odd; I hadn’t noticed anyone putting them there. Anyway, by this point, I was feeling quite hungry. I went over to see how John was doing and saw what he was working on. There was a point when it was convenient to interrupt him and we both went to get something to eat.

Then we went back to the library; after all, there were still a good couple of hours of working day left. The War Council was going to be held the next day and heavens only knew when I would get another chance like this. By the end, I was very satisfied though; the normal version of the spell was safely in my book and I had made a breakthrough in the matter of the shaping. I began talking about how I was planning to do this with John and he listened intently and asked several very pertinent questions.

After our conversation, which had in fact given me a few other ideas, we both went to bed, our ever vigilant bodyguards outside our doors.

The next day dawned and we prepared for the Council. We cast various spells which lasted a long time; then we ate the fine breakfast provided courtesy of Felix and finally we set out for the Council Chamber.

This was the proper Council Chamber, the one which had held the previous Council so many months ago; unlike Simeon’s study it was far more formal; it was circular, with several windows and tables in the centre. This circle in the centre was surrounding by ascending rows of audience seats. As we entered, these were full, there were people milling around and functionaries and bureaucrats were trying to manage seating and speeches. Frankly, the whole thing looked pretty chaotic.

As soon as Simeon saw us, he must have made some sort of signal because some of the Lyceum guard and our bodyguards began to usher the vast majority of the people out. It took a little time but ultimately, it left mostly representatives and their staff in the chamber. Out of those, we recognized Xavious Foebane, the dwarven general, Kiernan and Simeon. We also saw another familiar figure, to whom we hurried:

“Duke Gallo, how good to see you. What are you doing here?”

The tall nobleman smiled at us and replied:

“Gentlemen, it is also good to see you! I’m told you have done the impossible….again. I am here as a representative of Dassen; the King would have come himself but we still have a Ragesian army threatening our country so he felt it would be wiser to stay in Bresk just in case the situation changes. But tell me, how did you obtain the Torch…..?”

Simeon’s voice interrupted at this point:

“Gentlemen, Duke Gallo, I hope you will not find it offensive but we must get on with the Council. I am sure that Longhelim and the others will be delighted to tell you of their adventures as soon as we are finished but many people are waiting on the decisions we make here.

So, first let me introduce you to two friends from the Monastery of the Two Winds.”

He pointed to two figures that were sitting in the audience seats. I had not noticed them previously but I saw that they were typical monks, shaven heads, one wearing white robes while the other black, representing the Masters of the East and West Winds. I had forgotten which one was which.

Once he had made the introductions, Simeon continued:

“Kiernan, please put your scepter on the table.”

As the dwarf did so, Simeon resumed:

“Now that we are safe from attack, let us get down to the main topic of our plan; namely the defeat of the Scourge.

The information we have been able to discover is from a combination of spies, stolen papers, magic and visions provided by several groups of people.”

He glanced at us and I saw that several others in the audience were also looking our way. I remembered the mysterious case which contained papers stolen from the Ragesians all those months ago. It seemed as if they had been even more precious than we had thought.

Longhelim was mumbling angrily to the rest of us:

“What does Simeon think he’s doing? There must be fifty people here! The enemy will know of our plans in hours!”

Simeon had resumed talking at this stage:

“First, after examining it and testing it, we have found that Rhuarc damaged the Torch even more than we had thought. Although Longhelim and the others have done an admirable job in repairing it to the best of their abilities with the resources available to them, the fact remains that it does not seem to be as powerful as when Coaltongue used it. Nevertheless, all is not lost and we can still use it to transport large amounts of men, we just have to combine it with the power of the Wayfarers. According to our calculations, they will still be protected from the fires of the Burning Sky as they are being magically moved.

So, following on from that, the major question is where do we strike first? Well, our hand is being forced on this. From information that we have received from various sources, Leska has been working on a back up scheme to the Torch. She has put her Chief Inquisitor Kreven in charge of a project which has been codenamed The Scourge.

First: Kreven used to be Leska’s deputy when she was the Chief Inquisitor and now that she’s made herself Empress, he’s become Chief Inquisitor in turn. He shouldn’t be underestimated. I don’t know the man but for him to become the Chief Inquisitor, he must be a formidable spell caster and very well versed in those magical perversions of which the Inquisitors are so fond. He has acquired a reputation and he is quite unusual in one aspect; unlike most Inquisitors, he is actually an arcane caster and he has one signature spell. It is a devastatingly powerful casting which severs limbs. It has proved very successful for him in the past. His loyalty to the Empress is fanatical.

He also has a powerful wife; Koren, who was a member of the Wayfarer’s Guild so one must presume she has knowledge of their secrets.

Second, the Scourge: this is a magical device which is capable of striking anyone, anywhere with a spell. We are not yet sure about the details but think of it! A device that can literally target our leaders, sages, and casters from thousands of miles away and we have no defense against it. That is what is forcing our hand.

Thankfully, Kreven has not quite perfected it yet. We know he has been summoning devils who have been transporting themselves throughout the land reporting on possible targets and advising on the best possible use of this power; they may even be testing it somehow.

However, most importantly of all, we know what it is, where it is and how to eliminate it!

In Northern Ragesia, there is a landmark called the Frost Needle’s Eye. This landmark is at the entrance of a small valley. The whole area is warded so strongly that it is almost impossible to gain any sort of information by magical means. In addition, there is an ice sheet under this valley that has been somehow enchanted to reveal intrusions of the area by anyone who is not Ragesian. There is also another strange enchantment, the full nature of which we have not been able to discover, which strikes down those who are not loyal to Ragesia. This is mentioned in various reports or papers that we have obtained but it is unclear just how that works or if it can be circumvented. Physically, the only way in is past the Frost Needle’s Eye and that has been heavily fortified.

So, the valley’s defences are strong, but not impregnable.

Our prize lies in the middle of the valley. There, a bunker has been built. Inside this bunker rises the Koren Obelisk; from what the papers say, this is a pillar of ice which has been somehow ensorcelled to focus and direct spells to such a level that they could strike anyone in the surrounding lands. However, to power this Obelisk, Kreven needs the eldritch energy of all the spell casters that the Ragesians have captured recently. There are hundreds of them. Somehow their magical abilities are being harnessed to power this device. They are being kept in a prison below the bunker.

So, now that I’ve told you this, there is a plan. However, to explain it, I will hand you over to our military commander to brief you. Xavious?”

The old dwarf stood up and nodded to one of his assistants. This young lady cast an illusion and a small valley with a spire at its entrance appeared on the table. Foebane began to speak in his gravelly voice:

“In military terms, the valley is quite small; yet, as Simeon said, it has formidable defences. It also has a sizeable force within it. However, its greatest strength was that it was a secret; now its greatest weakness is that we know about it. If we transport an army nearby, then they will have to react. They cannot afford to be trapped inside the valley so their forces will have to come out. These forces have to hope to delay our army so that Leska can send reinforcements. Once the forces leave, the bunker will be relatively undefended and allow a strike team to assault it.”

Foebane was looking straight at Longhelim at this point; obviously, the strike team was already chosen in his mind. I was already phrasing several questions when another voice interrupted the conversation:

“Excuse me”, said one of the monks. It was the one who was wearing white robes.

“My master has information that will be relevant to your planning. I hope you will forgive our presumption but it will be best if he is able to talk to you directly, so to speak.”

With that, the black robed monk took out a black mask and let it go in the air, where it hovered magically. Moments later, it seemed to acquire a visage and we were able to discern the features of Pilus, the Master of the East Wind.

“Congratulations on the success of your mission. Your plan is sound so far as it goes but your information is out of date. The Ragesians have already threatened our Temple so my brother and I plan to aid your assault on this fortress. Fully twenty or our brothers from the Temple intend to join your assault and we can provide something else which you will find priceless.

I have been spending all my time building, crafting and ensorcelling a flying vessel, fully capable of overlooking the current defences of the valley. I will offer all the information I am able to obtain to aid your enterprise. What you have not been able to obtain by divining the area due to its wards, I will relay to you from direct observation.

My brother and I do not want any payment or services for this; this is a show of good faith for our future co-operation. “

Having finished this speech, the mask became expressionless.

After all I had heard, I had so many questions I didn’t know where to start. Longhelim was still looking stony faced at the large crowds that had heard all of this. Drudge was idly playing with his bow while John and Felix were talking quietly about what they had heard. Victor was just standing, looking at the seats vigilantly.

I had just opened my mouth when……

An incisive, keening noise invaded the chamber, cutting off all speech, all motion and all thought; wildly I looked around to see that the audience, the secretaries, the assistants, even Gallo and his staff, still and motionless. Simeon turned to Kieran wildly:

“Kiernan! What’s happening? Your staff….”

He was interrupted by the shattering of glass as two creatures burst through the windows into the room. They were air elementals. I recognized them from my reading and the last time we met them at the Monastery of the Two Winds, except that these were subtly different. True air elementals took the form of small cyclones, gusts of air spinning around in a tight funnel; these were the same except that I could see objects inside; they looked like shards of ice.

Tendrils of ice shot out from them, enveloping us including Xavious, Kiernan and Simeon. Thankfully, we all managed to dodge most of them, except for Longhelim, who became bound by the ice tendrils. This was new and dangerous. A by-product of all this ice was that it made the floor very slippery. My footing was not very sure but I saw Victor moving effortlessly and then I remembered the magical boots we had picked up from the elves in the Haunted Forest of Ycengled and how they allowed the warriors to move over snow and ice.

Victor by now also had his shield floating in front of him as the creatures paused briefly. Then, one of them emitted a blue ray of intense cold. It struck Victor and visibly staggered him; it must have been powerful indeed and I feared for the warrior. Despite this, he moved calmly forward and prepared himself to meet the onslaught.

The other also emitted another of these rays and this one struck Felix, hurting him badly, but the priest immediately healed himself. Longhelim was still struggling furiously, when John moved nimbly to him and cast a spell which allowed the paladin to break free. As a stop gap, I put an invisible, magical barrier in front of the elementals, to slow them down more than anything and to allow us to gather ourselves slightly.

Kiernan, Simeon and Xavious were all trapped by the ice tendrils while everyone else was still motionless in terror at this invasion. Rather irreverently, I couldn’t help but think: “Welcome to our world, Seaquen”, before I cast a spell of speed on everyone. Drudge was still waiting and then let loose his usual barrage when he received a very nasty surprise; his target produced a gust of wind of such magnitude that it blew his arrows away and then charged the ranger.

I had powerful spells of fire but unfortunately, I was afraid of hurting the spectators still in their seats and I became even more determined to solve this conundrum I had with shaping spells. Drudge, nothing loth, had drawn his rapier and was facing against one of the elementals on his own, while Victor, now joined by Longhelim was facing the other. The warriors were practicing their mantra of concentration of force on one enemy as they hewed into the creature. It was difficult to tell just how effective their weapons were being against a funnel of air and ice but at least the creature seemed to be trying to avoid their blows, suggesting that it wasn’t completely immune to their weapons.

I tried to cast a weakening ray at the one facing Drudge but a gust of ice and wind made me dodge hurriedly, ruining the spell; I saw John suffering the same fate. Xavious, Kiernan and Simeon were still encased in the ice. I was beginning to think that I would have to begin thinking about my powerful spells but I still had a few tricks left.

The two elementals emitted more ice slivers, encasing Xavious, Simeon and Kiernan in ice even more if that was possible. The rest of us managed to dodge the majority of them, with the exception of Felix who also became encased but he just shook himself and with a prayer to Farlanghn, completely ignored the binding.

Then, incredibly swiftly, Drudge change weapons and fired a volley into the elemental facing him; he seemed to take the creature by surprise as it was unable to react to his arrows; however, individually the arrows seemed to do little damage and the creature then swung his fists into Drudge’s face, injuring him badly, judging by the blood spurting out of his nose and mouth.

The warriors were still concentrating on the other elemental. Victor seemed to be having trouble keeping his footing and was more flailing around with his sword as opposed to hitting it. Longhelim however, was wielding his flaming axe with great vigour, so much so that his style was attracting the attention of Xavious. Victor had finally connected, taking a rather wild swing that sunk deep even into otherworldly of the creature in front of him. As it staggered, Longhelim took one final swing, consigning it back to whatever elemental plane it had come from.

As soon as it disappeared, Longhelim stepped in front of the other elemental and engaged it. Not a moment too soon either, since it had been unopposed. Drudge had had to retreat hurriedly after its last onslaught; I had tried to cast a lightning bolt at it, only to find that it had been warded in such a manner that the spell rebounded on me, causing no small amount of hurt. I had not realised such a ward could be placed on such a creature but yet again, my perceptions of the boundary of magic were stretched.

Xavious was now taking much greater notice of the events and even shouting instructions at us:

“Wait for it boys! It’s going to shoot ice again; that’s easy to avoid if you know it’s coming. Wait for it……there!”

His perception was uncannily accurate and when he shouted, it did actually make it easier to avoid the icy tendrils that had shot out again. Victor had just joined the fray against the last elemental when Xavious began shouting instructions at Longhelim.

“Wait for the opening boy, wait for it…..now! There it is! Take it!”

Again, following those instructions allowed Longhelim establish a rhythm which became quite devastating. However, that last elemental was not done yet. With a mighty effort, it swung both fists at Victor and this time, it must have really hurt the warrior because he almost went down.

Everyone else in the hall was crowded behind my magical barrier, thankfully protected from all the ice and cold fury that was flying around us. I shuddered to think what would have happened if the barrier had not been there; there would have been a lot more corpses there, although I had to give them that they were enthusiastic and brave.

At this point, I went over to Simeon and gave him one of my healing potions; he was looking very feeble; then I watched the combat and I was also fascinated how hypnotic and commanding Xavious’s voice and instructions were. They really did make a difference and it was very much thanks to his prompting that the combat against the last elemental was shortened. It finally dissipated.

When the elemental went, we all paused briefly, waiting to see of any more enemy made an appearance, but then I began to free the three Lyceum members; Xavious was the first to shake himself from the ice bonds; then Kiernan and finally Simeon who was still looking pale and shaken. Xavious had gone to the window and stared out of it.

Cafu

First Post
As he was looking out, he said:

“We will break this hanging sword! This devastation is what the Obelisk is capable of and this is why it must be destroyed! If we don’t succeed the first time, then we will take another thousand men and if those fail, then another thousand until this abomination faces all of the men and women of the Resistance! We will not be defeated!”

The speech was very heartfelt and we joined Xavious at the window, curious to see what drove him to this rhetoric. What I saw outside left me speechless!

Below, a large part of the newly rebuilt city had been flattened again, this time by huge blocks of ice. The destruction was devastating as were the casualties. I must have seen hundreds of men, women and children of all races either crushed beneath the ice or moving feebly, calling out for help. Screaming and wailing was already starting and people were rushing to help.

Simeon had quietly behind us. He spoke softly:

“This was magic augmented by the Obelisk. The devastation before you was caused by a spell which causes great shards of ice to fall; it is not a particularly powerful spell but with augmentation from the Obelisk it was just as bad as the wind storm summoned by Lee Sidoneth. Those two beings you faced were blizzard elementals; they are shy reclusive creatures, very much of their own inhospitable plane but they were obviously ripped out of it and perverted by the power of the Obelisk; as Faden knows, the spells that had been cast on them have been altered to become far more powerful; usually, they can be used only by the caster but it looks as if Kreven has found a way to cast them on other beings, again almost certainly with power from the Obelisk; now do you see why it is urgent that it has to be destroyed!”

Victor spoke just as softly:

“No one doubted you. Yes, we see why it has to be destroyed. However, we also need a plan. Xavious, I hope that despite your call for sacrifice, you do actually have a plan.”

Xavious snorted:

“Of course I have a plan. Come and see us tonight but be ready in two days. Now go; we have help the people below.”

With that, we were dismissed.

As we left the council chamber, I turned to the others:

“So we have two days. I have to go back to the library and put the finishing touches to my new spell. I will look to do more spell research until we need to go. John, are you coming with me?”

The rogue nodded and then Longhelim spoke:

“I’m going to go and help with the wounded. Faden, I know you and John need to learn your spells but I would ask everyone else to join me in whatever capacity you can.”

The others all agreed to join and John and I hurried to the library as I had mentioned, where we stayed until that evening. I knew that because John came up to me and said it was time to go.

This time, we went to Simeon’s study where there were far fewer people but several maps on the table. Mistress Larkins and Torrent were there, as well as Xavious, Simeon and Kiernan.

Xavious began:

“Right; down to the details. As I mentioned this morning, this Valley is about four miles across and sits on top of an ice sheet; this sheet is magical and is able to discern those who enter upon it. For this reason, it has been called “The Eye”. The Eye is controlled and surveyed from this small cave, which has an unknown number of defenders; there will also almost certainly be several powerful individuals there; we don’t know who or how many due to the wards against divinations but I cannot believe that Kreven would leave such a key location without a powerful defense.

You must Blind the Eye; once that is done, you must go to the Fortress in the middle of the Valley and destroy the obelisk. You must also eliminate anyone who seems to be capable of repairing it. Finally, if possible, you should rescue as many of the spell casters held beneath the fortress as possible.

That is the overview of the plan; now as for the method:

Mistress Larkins, together with the help Longhelim and the Torch, will conjure a powerful transport spell which will allow us to take an army of the Resistance and land it a short distance away. Not close enough to trigger the defenses of the area yet close enough to constitute a genuine threat.

The threat is the key. There is a sizeable enemy force in the valley but they will have a difficult choice once they realise that the army is nearby. The main entrance to this valley is guarded by the Needle, a fortress which has been heavily fortified and with hundreds of soldiers and inquisitors allotted to its defence; fortunately, you will be able to avoid it by flying and attack the Eye directly. The Needle will not be able to send reinforcements there because they will be aware of our army’s presence, and they will surmise, correctly, that if they weaken their position, we will attack; we will be also launching a series of spoiling raids; just to show them we mean business.

The Fortress is too far away to reinforce the Eye meaningfully in a short time, so you have a unique opportunity to blind it and then continue your mission. However, it is certain that they will send a relief force as soon as they realise that the Eye is under attack; Master Pilus has offered to keep track of this force and guide you past them towards the bunker once you have succeeded at Blinding the Eye.

Now, I will hand you over to Simeon, who has some more details on the magical aspect of the mission.”

Simeon stood up. He did not the worse for his brush with the blizzard elementals this morning:

“Thank you Xavious. You sum up the situation very well. As you have been told, the whole area is warded against divinations; it is also warded against those who are not loyal to Leska and the Ragesian Empire. That takes the form of a divine magic which also prevents magical transport into the valley; it is a powerful spell against normal individuals but I think you have transcended normality. It will be a nuisance but not above your capabilities.

The Obelisk will be very difficult to destroy. My recommendation, Faden, would be to learn a powerful arcane spell which destroys objects. There is one in our library; I don’t know if you already have it in your spell book but if you don’t, then I would suggest that that is an omission you should remedy immediately. We will also be able to provide you with certain spells before you embark on the mission, including the magical spell the Felix provides for you each morning as well as the ability to fly from the encampment to the Eye. Finally, some of you will be given the ability to talk magically back to Xavious at base camp from your positions.

I have already given you what information we have on Kreven. Let me also re-iterate some of the things that Xavious has said. The Obelisk is the single most important strategic artifact in the hands of the enemy now that we have acquired the Torch; you have already seen its power. It must be destroyed. You have already done much so much more that has been asked of you; but please remember, there is no one else who has a better chance of success right now.”

He said this last sentence so quietly that I almost did not hear him.

He stopped speaking and Xavious continued with the plan:

“As soon as you begin to fly to the Eye, we will make a series of spoiling attacks on the Needle; as mentioned previously, these are intended to announce our position to the enemy and make sure that he cannot afford to abandon his position and attempt to reinforce the defenders of the Eye. However, if you do not report back to me on a regular basis, I will assume you are lost and I will order a full assault on the Valley.

In addition, as well as guiding you, Master Pilus will be in direct contact with you at all times and will keep you informed of any other movements or forces movements of the enemy from his wondrous sky ship.

So, that is the plan. We will be ready to go the day after tomorrow. Please get ready yourselves. We will meet again at the departure point. There is only one other thing I have to say. Realistically, we only have one chance at this. Leska will be informed as soon as we appear and she will move heaven and earth to send reinforcements to the Valley as soon as she realizes that her secret weapon has been compromised. So, we either do it on our first try or we fail!

Now, any questions?”

We all looked at each other but did not say anything. Both Xavious and Simeon had covered the ground well.

I did have some questions though:

“When you were talking about those magical defenses, how far do they spread?”

“It is difficult to know Faden; we know the nature of the spell but it may have been strengthened or altered by use of the Obelisk.”

“Will Kreven have more exotic allies at his disposal in the Valley?”

“Again, difficult to know but judging by his use of the elementals and the reports of devils doing his bidding, it is very likely.”

Our questions took up a certain amount of time and they gleaned a little more information but it was obvious that after their plan, Xavious and Simeon had educated and logical guesses and deductions rather than hard information. That was still very useful though as even their guesses and deductions gave valuable insight as to what we might face. We had already faced elementals and devils had been mentioned; it was a given that there would be inquisitors but in the end Longhelim mentioned that one could over think these scenarios and while it was good to plan for enemy we were likely to meet, speculation could also be harmful.

So, with that in mind, we bade farewell to Simeon and the others and retired to our chambers, bodyguards in tow.

The next morning, I was up very early to study in the library. This was going to be the last day before the mission and I had a long and complicated spell to study. As suggested by Simeon, this was the spell that was capable of destroying the Obelisk. The others, with the exception of John, who was with me again, had gone and I assumed that they were in town, helping with the disaster. The work was hard and quite tense as I had a specific time limit; it was not helped when I was interrupted by a messenger from Simeon, who summoned both John and I.

We arrived at Simeon’s study; everyone else was there already and the loremaster took us to another part of the Lyceum. We went through several rooms and long corridors before we arrived at a part of the building in which I had never been before. Simeon began a series of enchantments which I recognized as conjuration, divination and abjuration spells, designed to reveal, disable and open; moments later, several doors appeared in a wall and Simeon opened the middle of them. This door revealed a small room with several shelves; placed reverently on these were scrolls, a wand and potions. They were each lying on velvet cushions and labeled, specifying their function. The scrolls were in beautiful, embellished cases while the wand was amazingly carved and decorated with filigree silver and gold.

Looking at each item, I was struck by its obvious value; the scrolls were of very high level magic, including several of the same spell which I was just copying into my book. The wand was a very powerful divine wand, which facilitated the recovery of strength of body or soul; it also negated that most powerful of attack of undead, which drew energy from the very essence of the victim and could even potentially turn one into an undead. Other scrolls were the most powerful of healing scrolls; spells so complicated that even with the help of being recorded on scrolls, Felix was not completely sure of being able to cast them.

Simeon gestured at them:

“These are for you. They are pretty much the wealth that the Lyceum has managed to collect over the last few decades. These have been gathered painstakingly over all that time and kept for an occasion such as this. Hopefully, they will aid you in your mission.”

Thereafter, he went through the function of each of the spells and items. It was indeed a treasure hall and another indication of the importance that the Lyceum placed on our mission.

Once we gathered the pieces, we went back to our previous places; I still had a spell to finish!

My sojourn in the library kept me late that night so I overslept the next morning. Although the mission would not leave until midnight the same day, timed so that we would make the attack in the early following morning, I had to spend most of the next day getting ready; gathering equipment, checking that things worked, talking to the others and making sure we were all prepared. As such, the day fairly flew by and before I knew it, we were all gathered and taken to a field outside Seaquen.

There, I could see that the army had been gathered. Xavious had mentioned an army of around six thousand men, dwarves and even gnomes and halflings; the small folk were game; standing in one group, I also saw the small contingent of monks from the Monastery of the Two Winds; this gathering was big enough to frighten the Ragesian force in the valley, yet small enough to transport in several hours. The key was that Longhelim had to go first, with the Torch, to make sure that the passage was safe for everyone else.

The mission was initiated by Mistress Larkins, who drew a magical circle, which would act as a focus for the transport magic; then Longhelim lit the Torch; there was a mighty cheer when that became apparent and the paladin stepped into the circle and disappeared; we followed immediately after him.

Thankfully, there was no one at the other side; the destination had been chosen very carefully by Foebane and we quickly saw his wisdom. It was deserted, close enough to the valley to be within reach of our flying magic, yet far enough away that the army was not subjected to the magical defenses of the place.

The next several hours were spent transferring the army through from Seaquen. Once that was done, the first phase of the plan began to be put into operation. A magical meal was conjured by one of the priests accompanying the army. It was the meal that Felix usually conjured for us, which had several protective and bolstering effects. Various other spells were cast on us both by casters with the army and ourselves until, finally, a flying spell was cast on all of us and with one farewell and another mighty cheer, we began flying towards the valley.

As we approached, the first thing that happened was our breaching of the magical defences of the area; we had been warned about this and it happened as predicted. Suddenly, we were wracked with a jolt pain and nausea that shook our insides; blood spurted from our mouths and ears and in the case of Drudge, also his eyes. It felt as if we had been crushed between several large boulders and we had to land briefly while Felix, Longhelim, John and Drudge all healed us and each other; then we rose in the air again and sped towards the Eye.

We came in from a different angle on purpose, so we did not see the Needle, but rather landed right on the path towards the Eye. It was rugged, icy terrain with snow that was either trampled down or hardened and slippy. The Eye was a cave that led into a small hill; it was placed on top of a gentle rise with shallow gradients; so shallow that the ground was flat as opposed to slanted dropping down in abrupt steps. Placed in front of the cave we could see the defenders of this strongpoint. It was a frightening order of battle:

There were several ranks of Ragesian troops, all wearing their full armour, elite troops; there were also several archers placed above the cave, surveying the surrounding area; they were there as snipers and no doubt expert marksmen. I could also spot several inquisitors with their distinctive bear masks; there was also a huge animal there, a creature out of legend, which looked like an elephant but was so much bigger; it was covered in hair and had enormous curling tusks. It was turned in our direction and its trumpeting blast of challenge could be heard even from this distance.

Drudge breathed several words, as if whispering to himself:

“A mammoth! A bloody mammoth! Where did that come from?”

Almost as an afterthought, I noticed that the mammoth had a rider; another figure in a bear mask.

Finally, there were two figures mounted on wyverns already flying towards us.

The whole contingent must have numbered over fifty troops, plus the inquisitors, the archers and of course, not forgetting the mammoth; and this was the gate guard.

Cafu

First Post
As a matter of curiosity, Carborundum, you mentioned that you were thinking of starting a WotBS campaign yourself. Is that happening?

Remove ads