• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "Gimmick Character" Problem

Talon5

First Post
Suggestion-

Find out what kind of character he's gonna play in the next session and make the campaign very difficult for him to get such a character into play in that session- do not exclude him from the campaign.

Example- he wants to play a Wyvern riding Ranger/Archer. Okay, then entrance to the dungeon is 5' wide and 5' tall, with lots of turns and stuff. He refuses to go in without his Wyvern- okay, check up on what he's character is doing every hour or three.

He changes characters in mid stream- "why is this Halfling near the entrance to this dungeon? What is he doing there by himself?"

Its cruel, and it looks to be excluding him from the party, but it doesn't seem to me that he's willing to work with the party, doesn't appear that he's interested in Role Playing as much as he is in just creating the coolest most leathal character he can.

I know the type- The Golfer in Champions (Multi Power based on differing golf clubs and balls- no Def or DCV), The Sniper in a GURPs Spec Ops campaign (Rifle 25- and not much else, used a single shot .50- great at long range, sucked at everything else) and countless others. God am I glad he's gone from our group.

spacepirat3

First Post
Both of your characters seem to be "gimmick" characters and it's funny that you guys are even arguing over whose is the worst.

I have to agree with BAW though. Gort, if you have a problem with him or his characters you should really talk to him first, before complaining about him on a public forum, especially one that he reads and posts on. It's just a matter of handling things in the proper way.

Here's a little something my parents taught me. If you have a problem with someone at work, school, or whatever, the proper steps to resolve it are:

1.) You talk to the person you have the problem with first. If the two of you are unable to resolve the problem you then move on to step two.

2.) You talk to the person again, but this time you bring in a person not directly involved in the dispute, who can act as an independent fair mediator. If you are still unable to come to a solution, move on to step three.

3.) You bring the dispute to your boss, teacher, or in your case the game group.

By following these steps you give the person you have the problem with an opportunity to solve the issue in a private manner, which is always preferable.

Chimera

First Post
spacepirat3 said:
I have to agree with BAW though. Gort, if you have a problem with him or his characters you should really talk to him first, before complaining about him on a public forum, especially one that he reads and posts on. It's just a matter of handling things in the proper way.

Most definitely!

Object lesson: Just over a month ago someone from our group posted an "is this fair" thread on a public forum wherein he grossly distorted the situation to make us all look like we were not being fair to him or his character.

Without discussing the situation with the rest of us first.

It earned him a one-way ticket straight out of our group. Unanimous vote. No regrets.

Always, ALWAYS speak to the person first. Before you speak to anyone else about it, before you're caught complaining about them behind their back.

Prime

First Post
ok. i am the DM of one of the games being bitched about here (Darken). john, adrian, you are both as bad as eachother and you are doing the game no favours by slinging mud so publically at one another. if you have a problem with the game or with one another you should come to me rather than starting threads about each other.

i know you guys have had this argument before and i am very sorry that i seem so incapable of accomodating you both but this is silly. as DM i believe that the buck stops here, as will your bitching at one another on this thread. if problems persist we will resolve this face to face. that is all there is to it.

Talath

Explorer
hong said:
I certainly remember my twink archer, who could do 80 points of damage with one arrow....

Hong "it's a long story" Ooi

As I recall, that archer had a total kick arse name; I like him just on that basis :D

I have a friend who is a total gimmick player ... it annoys me to a great extent.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads