The Gods of Bal-Sagoth

Belzamus

First Post
Hey again, U_K. :D

Oh yeah, I forgot you're switching to 4e. I won't be able to help with mechanics very much but, sure, I'd be glad to help with flavor.

Oh, and about Umbrals, I meant, I would prefer to use them as a reference for the kinds of abilities non-beings should have. I'm thinking things like Abrogate, Annihilating Effect, Nullification, Omega Effect (Only for the really powerful ones), etc.

Oh, and I might need your help on hammering out an Epic Spell since I'm quite inept at desgined those. I have to brainstorm some more for it first though and read through the flavor again.

Belzamus said:
Hey again, U_K. :D

Hiya mate! :)

Oh yeah, I forgot you're switching to 4e. I won't be able to help with mechanics very much but, sure, I'd be glad to help with flavor.

Well, depending on how the revised GSL turns out we may still be able to do both 3.5E and 4E versions of all future books. Speculative I know, but I guess we will see in a few weeks time.

Oh, and about Umbrals, I meant, I would prefer to use them as a reference for the kinds of abilities non-beings should have. I'm thinking things like Abrogate, Annihilating Effect, Nullification, Omega Effect (Only for the really powerful ones), etc.

Yes, although I had created a number of new powers for Umbrals as well as incorporating those old 'favourites'. ;)

Oh, and I might need your help on hammering out an Epic Spell since I'm quite inept at desgined those. I have to brainstorm some more for it first though and read through the flavor again.

Always happy to help.

Belzamus

First Post
Hello again, U_K,
<O:p</O:p

Alright, about this spell I need help with. It occurs in As The Vortex Illumines The Crystalline Walls Of Kor-Avul-Thaa and I'm tentatively calling it "The Gate to the Black Galaxy", although I suppose "The Vortex" might be appropos as well.<O:p</O:p

Here's the deal. A group of nefarious magi stumble upon a forbidden tome that happens to be both inestimably ancient and inestimably evil. Within this unholy scripture is contained the knowledge to establish an abominable planar link between the Telluric Nexus (the Prime Material) and the Z'Xulth (The Black Galaxy, a region of perverted null-space-time that is the breeding ground for hideously-malevolent beings of chaos and entropy)<O:p</O:p

The Black Galaxy naturally phases into contact with reality only once eveyr several millennia, resulting in cataclysmic chaos as the Dwellers in Eternal Shadow ravage the civilizations of mankind.
So, obviously, to accomplish such a feat as accelerating this process to a specific point in time (namely the casting of the spell) it would take a magus of unimaginable power to accomplish. Probably resulting in a Spellcraft check in the thousands.<O:p</O:p

Here are the mitigating factors:

<O:p</O:pTo cast the spell, the Xytaxahedron, the Shadow Crystal, an ancient and nebulous artifact connected in some way to the Outer Darkness, must be used as a focus.<O:p</O:p

Secondly, the spell is cast as a massive ritual in the song by a cabal of evil archmagi (The Brotherhood of Dark Elucidation), each of them no doubt contributing high-level spell slots to the ritual. How many, though, I couldn’t possibly say, but I can’t see it being more than a hundred.

<O:p</O:pThirdly, the spell is inscribed upon the antiquated pages of the Black Bible of Kor-Avul-Thaa, a timelost chthonic grimoire obviously belonging to an entity far more powerful than the Brotherhood’s sorcerers. (If I had to guess, I’d wager that Zuranthus, the chief deity of the Z’Xulth, or his brother, Klatyrmadon, (both of whom are revered by the Brotherhood) were behind its writing, but that would be pure speculation on my part. I’d peg Klatyrmadon as a Greater Deity and Zuranthus as an Old One (Elder One? I always which is Divine Rank 24), I think.)

<O:p</O:pWhat the spell does is not only establish a dimensional link (for a significant period of time I might add, a day at least, if not a week or longer) but it also puts out some kind of beacon to these entities, calling them forth in droves, riding upon their ebon chariots or in black-winged legions to rain ruin upon the earth. (I’d say these creatures are around CR 40 or so, maybe, Hero or Demi deity level powers, obviously there are stronger ones, however)

<O:p</O:pSo, what do you think? Can it be done in such a way that the Brotherhood, (whom I would imagine has no spellcaster higher than 30<SUP>th</SUP> level (if even that) among their ranks) could actually pull this off? I’m assuming it’ll require special circumstances.

<O:p</O:pI just figured I’d get your input, since epic spells really aren’t my forte. I appreciate any help, and obviously I’m willing to do the brunt of the work once I get some solid ideas on how to pull this off.

<O:p</O:pThanks a ton<O:p</O:p

Hey Belzamus mate! :)

I think as regards dimensional magic you have a maximum potential of casting a spell twice the level (assuming you meet the costs).

So those 30th-level Casters could theoretically cast something akin to a 60th-level spellcaster. Or a Level 30 spell (by my rules) or an epic spell of about Spellcraft DC 230 ish.

Belzamus

First Post
Well, since I haven't seen your rules for Dimensional Magic, I'm not really completely sure what you mean. You're saying that 1 30th level caster, with DM, could evoke an effect similar to a spellcaster by a 60th level caster? Or a whole hroup of them?

Either way, I'm think more of just making the spell without the rules and then throwing a "this is the equivelant of an Xth level spell" at the end of it. Seems a lot simpler, since I'm almost positve the epic spellcasting rules can't give me what I'm looking for.

S'mon

Legend
Hey Belzamus mate - Krust here! :)

Belzamus said:
Well, since I haven't seen your rules for Dimensional Magic, I'm not really completely sure what you mean. You're saying that 1 30th level caster, with DM, could evoke an effect similar to a spellcaster by a 60th level caster? Or a whole hroup of them?

Either. Depending upon which dimension your drawing upon.

Either way, I'm think more of just making the spell without the rules and then throwing a "this is the equivelant of an Xth level spell" at the end of it. Seems a lot simpler, since I'm almost positve the epic spellcasting rules can't give me what I'm looking for.

Well technically its just a gate + summoning type effect you are after is it not? I am sure the epic spell rules could manage it.

Belzamus

First Post
Well technically its just a gate + summoning type effect you are after is it not? I am sure the epic spell rules could manage it.

It seems like it should be, but (without looking it up right now) something tells me that summoning a horde of CR 20+ monsters for a day or more is a little out of the league of said cult, even with the mitigating factors of an artifact focus and large-scale sacrifice spells and backlash damage.

Maybe not though, I haven't looked at the Epic Spell rules in a while. First, I need to actually stat up the things I'm trying to summon. :p

S'mon

Legend
Howdy Belzamus matey! :)

Belzamus said:
It seems like it should be, but (without looking it up right now) something tells me that summoning a horde of CR 20+ monsters for a day or more is a little out of the league of said cult, even with the mitigating factors of an artifact focus and large-scale sacrifice spells and backlash damage.

Well,maybe even a gate spell is what you are looking for. Are the cultists in control of these monsters? Summoning something without the power to control it I imagine you could summon something notably more powerful.

For instance I remember that Fraz-Urb'luu used to summon other Demon Princes and then disappear, leaving the opponents to face the wrath of this summoned Demon Prince.

Belzamus said:
Maybe not though, I haven't looked at the Epic Spell rules in a while. First, I need to actually stat up the things I'm trying to summon. :p

That could help. :D

Belzamus

First Post
Hey there, proxy-U_K!

You know, I think you're right! The whole point is that they're NOT in control. I might not even need the summoning seed then, if they just come pouring out of the gate in legions without even being called.

Thanks for the help. I shoould be able to work it out now.

paradox42

First Post
In terms of balancing with existing effects, having the beings NOT be under control actually makes it more difficult to figure out, since no existing effect has the entities called/brought forth by the effect not be under the caster's control. But it does obviously fit this particular thing, and clearly it would represent a shift downward on the level scale. So, I'd suggest, stat the critters that will be called forth, then figure out what an effect to summon one would look like, and then let this new one summon a whole army of them that's just not controlled at all.

Remove ads