• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Grappler's Manual (2.0) - Grappling in 5th Edition

Yunru

Banned
Banned
The eternal d&d problem, never clear enought. DMs problem, but I don't see why bludgeoning, slashing and pearcing damage from spell will not be magical but the rest will be.
The object was animated by magic, so he cause magical damage while the duration and concentration of the spell.

Magic weapon where created with spell and formulas to be permanent but the magic is basicaly the same.
"Eternal"? Try "Solved in 4e"

johnlent

First Post
If you are just ignoring size and weight ratios, I think the Tabaxi is the hands down DPR King.

Base: 30. Barbarian: 40 Mobile: 50 Longstrider: 60
Double for haste: 120 (potion)
Double for for boots of speed: 240
Double for Tabaxi: 480
Dash+Cunning Action+Normal Action+Haste Action+Action Surge=5X480 = 2400 feet in one round. Or 272 miles per hour (slightly faster than the peregrine faclon's dive speed of roughly 242 mph).
Spike Growth damage = 480X5 on average or 2,400 damage.

Last edited:

zaratan

First Post
If you are just ignoring size and weight ratios, I think the Tabaxi is the hands down DPR King.

Base: 30. Barbarian: 40 Mobile: 50 Longstrider: 60
Double for haste: 120 (potion)
Double for for boots of speed: 240
Double for Tabaxi: 480
Dash+Cunning Action+Normal Action+Haste Action+Action Surge=5X480 = 2400 feet in one round. Or 272 miles per hour (slightly faster than the peregrine faclon's dive speed of roughly 242 mph).
Spike Growth damage = 480X9 on average or 4,320.

the damage of spike growth is 2d4, the average is x5 = 2400. still huge.

about the max speed possible (with really rare itens), what I get:

tabaxi
moon druid 6 = allosaurus, 60 ft.
Fighter 2 = action surge
barbarian elk 5 = +25ft.
monk 2 = +10ft.
bladesinger 2 = +10ft.
mystic 1 = +5ft.
(2 level missing, maybe rogue for cunning action or 2 more in monk for ASI and more ki to dash)
Mobile +10
longstride +10
boon of speed +30
major property artifact +10,
transmuter stone +10 (stolen from wizard).
boots of speed for allosaurus x2
potion of speed = haste

dash + action dash + bonus action dash + action surge dash + haste dash = 7200 feet one turn or 823m/h
I'm missing something?

Goken100

First Post
The eternal d&d problem, never clear enought. DMs problem, but I don't see why bludgeoning, slashing and pearcing damage from spell will not be magical but the rest will be.
The object was animated by magic, so he cause magical damage while the duration and concentration of the spell.

Magic weapon where created with spell and formulas to be permanent but the magic is basicaly the same.

We're way off topic here, and I apologize for that. But I will just say that things animated by magic do not automatically get to do magic damage. Golems do, but many other constructs do not. That includes the flying sword, a very close analogue to a swarm of temporarily animated daggers: regular mundane slashing damage.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
We're way off topic here, and I apologize for that. But I will just say that things animated by magic do not automatically get to do magic damage. Golems do, but many other constructs do not. That includes the flying sword, a very close analogue to a swarm of temporarily animated daggers: regular mundane slashing damage.
But if they're +1 daggers...

zaratan

First Post

good point about some constructs. I just think that if we want to look that way, it's not just about slashing, bludgeoning and piercing, all the rest may have the same problem.

johnlent

First Post
I would rogue 2 for cunning action definitely; note that elk totem is only good if you are raging, so if you are generating the Spike Growth on your own, you cant do that.

And yeah I was tired yesterday, should have been X5 for average not X9 (though now I wonder if you can sorceror to enhance that)

I dont use mystic since its UA. I dont use boons since they are explicitly over level 20.

And I wouldnt let a dinosaur wear boots, which is why I didnt include it to begin with.

And now you have more room to barbarian 6 (double carrying capacity with bear totem). Add enlarge to that and you can double carry capacity again.

Angelo Pantano

First Post
I think there is a problem with this part of the Grappler feat:

Grappler is the ultimate trap ability. Its first ability is a worse version of the shove-to-prone combat option grapplers already have. Why invest in a feat for advantage when you can do it with basic combat actions?

this is not actually true because when a target is prone and you try to grapple it the check is not done with ADV, that only applies on melee attacks while this feat gives ADV on every attack

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I think there is a problem with this part of the Grappler feat:

this is not actually true because when a target is prone and you try to grapple it the check is NOT done with ADV, it's only on melee attacks while this feat gives ADV on every attack
Except that even if it did (pretty sure it's advantage on attack rolls), it wouldn't help you grapple any, as it only applies to grappled targets.

zaratan

First Post
I would rogue 2 for cunning action definitely; note that elk totem is only good if you are raging, so if you are generating the Spike Growth on your own, you cant do that.

And yeah I was tired yesterday, should have been X5 for average not X9 (though now I wonder if you can sorceror to enhance that)

I dont use mystic since its UA. I dont use boons since they are explicitly over level 20.

And I wouldnt let a dinosaur wear boots, which is why I didnt include it to begin with.

And now you have more room to barbarian 6 (double carrying capacity with bear totem). Add enlarge to that and you can double carry capacity again.
That one isn't a praticle build, is just how fast is possible to be.
Boots of speed for dinossaur isn't the worse part, you can do your own with a formula and 200 days of downtime activity. The artifact major property will be way harder yo acomplish, lol.

Remove ads