• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Gray King

Eidalac

Explorer
Kurst (Human, Artificer/Warlock)

While Kurst really doesn't understand what it is the others are being told, it's obvious that Andoran knew information that was good enough to persuade them. Of course, most of them didn't look like they needed a great deal of convincing to go to someplace like the Wastes. They weren't quivering about it. They obviously knew what they were doing.

But it all came back to the fact that he was out of options, and he couldn't keep but thinking that Andoran could easily ensure that he was found if he refused, if he were so inclined. It was a silly idea, but Kurst couldn't ignore it.

"I... I don't think I need anything..."

Zurai

First Post
Valerian, Elven Archivist

"What kinds of supplies were you thinking of?" he asks genially.
"Well, we'll need at least two week's worth of food per person, preferably three or four . . . and hopefully some kind of beasts of burden to transport all that food. Then we'll need food for them, of course, with more beasts to carry those supplies. 'One damned mule in three, just to carry the feed!' is what Koll told me when he was planning the expedition into Xen'drik." He sighs and shakes his head, "A week-long trip into the Demon Wastes is no simple logistical feat. I'm sure you've already considered these things, but it's best to be very clear about the neccessities of such a voyage."

He pauses again and considers, then states, "As for more . . . esoteric . . . supplies, I have no specific requests. If you wanted to hand me a bundle of divine-attuned scrolls I would hardly object, however!" He finishes with a smirk.

OOC: Valerian isn't aware that certain party members have infinite food and water for themselves ;)
Also, he'll make a Knowledge check (taking 10 if you'll allow) to see if there's any special gear that would be helpful for going into the Wastes - hot weather gear, cold weather gear, whatever.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Andoran raises an eyebrow in a kind of ironic salute to Oliver before responding.

"Arrgha'n, I'm afraid we have no such weapons at present. Though you will be traveling through the Reaches on your way to the Wastes, and if there were every a place to find a good bow, that would be it. But, as it comes to rations, there's a caravan master who owes us a favor or two, and he can supply you all with food and drink that will feed you in perpetutity without weighing you down.

"The Wastes are hot and dry where they aren't cold and dry, and windy and stormy to boot. We have some sturdy little mules, Vadalis-bred, trained and accustomed to defending themselves and hardy in all weathers and terrain, to bear your luggage. There are some clever little feedbags that can keep them fed, and I'll loan you a decanter to keep them watered.

"I believe I can rustle up some alchemical aid for you, though I'm afraid divine scrolls are in short supply right now. You might be able to pick some up in the Reaches, if you don't alienate the druids. Keep clear of the Ashbound sect; they're a bit fanatical.

"I also have one more thing for you," he adds, and snaps his fingers. A moment later the bar wench comes through the doors and moves to stand next to Andoran. As you watch, her face unages, taking the harsh lines of a young woman with a distinctly Karranthi cast to her features, her hair shortens and blackens, and her body becomes thinner and more lithe.

"This is Yatrax. Like you, she has an unusual practice, but I contacted her long ago. She can aid you in crossing Khorvaire, and though she has not been in the Wastes herself, she did speak to those that drew our maps. She has talents you might find valuable, particularly in enhancement and divination."

Yatrax simply gives everyone a quick glance, her bar wench's outfit now seeming like a quaint costume. Shadows seem to cling to her, and when she gives a short bow of welcome, the sharp-eyed may note her shadow moves an instant after she does.

OOC: Valerian, the Demon Wastes are known to be hot, dry, and barren. Traveling there would be difficult enough if not for the roving tribes of barbarian cannibals, demons, fiends, night hags, ghosts, and other hazards such as dust storms and dry lightning. Hot weather gear might not be a bad idea, considering you'll probably arrive at the Wastes when summer finally gets here. Also, you and Kurst recognize Yatrax's transformation as a disguise self effect.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Arrgha'n (Half-Daelkyr Kin-Hunter) HP:28

"Very well. I am ready." Arrgha'n, nods to Yatrax, and then stands ready to move forward with their mission.

Erekose13

Explorer
Maavnod's earlier reply not withstanding, it was already telling that the small giant was a man of small words. "The passes over the Shadowcrags are not easy. Pack animals will hinder us." what he did not say was that he very much did not want to head back into Goliath territory.

Zurai

First Post
Valerian, Elven Archivist

Valerian nods, accepting Andoran's description of the logistics already planned for the group.

When Yatrax is introduced, Valerian stands and bows back to her. "I greet you, Yatrax. Are you to be our watchdog, then?" This last he directs more at Andoran than Yatrax herself, though the smile on his face removes some of the sting from the remark.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"I am a practical man," Andoran says again with a faint smile.

"As for the pack animals... your initial path doesn't lie over the Shadowcrags, but through the Labyrinth. While the terrain there is rough, it is not truly mountainous. The beasts will be able to handle it. It's the barbarians that guard the way that may prove more troublesome," he adds.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
"As for the pack animals... your initial path doesn't lie over the Shadowcrags, but through the Labyrinth. While the terrain there is rough, it is not truly mountainous. The beasts will be able to handle it. It's the barbarians that guard the way that may prove more troublesome," he adds.
The kobold hisses. "Kill usss they will try. They call usss tainted, they ssshall. The sssmell of fiendss be on usss all. Die they mussst."

Last edited:

EvolutionKB

First Post
Oliver, Human Binder

Oliver nods in affirmation that his request is made.

He then raises an eyebrow at the transformation of Yatrax. He abruptly stands and boldly strides over to the woman. "I apologize, I didn't properly introduce myself earlier; my name is Oliver," he says with an extravagant bow. "That is an intriguing talent you have, perhaps on our trip, we can find some time alone to speak about such things. Surely one as beautiful as you, would also have a wealth of talent." He then strides toward the door, half-turning, giving one last glance and a mischievous half smile towards Yatrax. "I will be staying the night here, if we are indeed staying, and not leaving at once. I shall be in my room upstairs."

Diplomacy +10. Cue the dramatic exit. ;)

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"If they must die, then I expect you'll find ways to accomplish that. Now, if you wish rooms, there are some available above. Tomorrow I will have things ready, and you can leave if you wish. Yatrax has the maps, and will be able to guide you. Speed is not precisely of the essense, but I'd rather you not dally for days on end," he finishes. Rising from the table, he bows, and then vanished out the same wall he came in.

EvolutionKB said:
Oliver nods in affirmation that his request is made.

He then raises an eyebrow at the transformation of Yatrax. He abruptly stands and boldly strides over to the woman. "I apologize, I didn't properly introduce myself earlier; my name is Oliver," he says with an extravagant bow. "That is an intriguing talent you have, perhaps on our trip, we can find some time alone to speak about such things. Surely one as beautiful as you, would also have a wealth of talent." He then strides toward the door, half-turning, giving one last glance and a mischievous half smile towards Yatrax. "I will be staying the night here, if we are indeed staying, and not leaving at once. I shall be in my room upstairs."
"If you wish to speak then Oliver, then we shall speak. Let me meet you upstairs," she says a little cooly, her voice showing a hint of a Karrnathi accent. She does give you a bit of a smile though, and walks slowly out the door.

For those that take rooms, each one is small, with a single narrow bed, chest, and table with a small, cheap lantern. The doors are heavy and thick, with a good bolt on the inside and a good lock on the other. The windows are small, allowing for a breath of fresh air, but little else, and heavily shuttered. Though not fancy, the rooms all seem built for those fearful of attack or spying. Perhaps the name of this inn is not just simple whimsy after all.

After ten minutes or so, Yatrax knocks on Oliver's door, dressed now in tailored black robes, her hair neatly braided.

"So, Oliver, who was talking so gallently down there? Was it truly you? Or is someone else talking?" she asks, tilting her head to the side a bit.

OOC: Anyone else doing anything? Want to do any shopping, sight-seeing, information-gathering, interrogating, wanton slaughtering, eating of wantons, or anything else?

Remove ads