• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The great d20 sci-fi bakeoff

Azgulor

Adventurer
My players have expressed a desire to switch to sci-fi for a bit from our regular fantasy campaign. While d20 Modern/Future would seem the obvious choice for sci-fi d20 goodness, there are elements of it that just don't work for me. Also the d20 Future supplements have been a real mixed bag. While there is always something good in them, there's also usually something that just turns me off (firearm rules & spaceship combat). Now realizing that sci-fi has so many different elements that appeal to different people, a few parameters may be in order.

So here's the criteria for the sci-fi campaign qualities I'd like to be able to run:
"Rubber" sci-fi. Doesn't have to be realisitic, but ideally it would be internally consistent.
FTL is possible, but more of a new frontier rather than Star Wars style empire.
Ability to emulate aliens, cyborgs, and genetically enhanced individuals.
Slugthrowers (at least for humans) rather than ray guns.
Ability to create vehicles and spaceships.
Be able to blend PC vs. vehicle combat as well as vehicle vs. spaceship.
Decent spaceship combat - both fighter vs. fighter and capital ship scale battles (I don't consider the spaceship combat in d20 Future to meet this requirement)

Examples of what I want would include:
TV/Movie Influences: Battlestar Galactica (new), Alien, Aliens, Serenity
Video Game Influences: Halo, Deus Ex, Alien vs. Predator, Far Cry, Starcraft (setting/story not gameplay)

Preferred candidates:
d20 Modern/Future - if you think this is the best route, what supplements do you recommend to achieve my criteria. I'd be willing to blend OGL with d20 M/F if it achieves the desired result
Spycraft 2.0 - Love the skills, love the feats, love the dramatic conflicts but there is no near-term sci-fi support (Farthest Star & Shatterpunk are too far out to be useful). Lots of house rule/crunch heavy lifting left to do.
Grim Tales - possibly a middle ground option since so much d20 integrates and it rewrites some of the d20 Modern problem areas.
Mutants & Masterminds - can it do straight sci-fi? As in no "powers" beyond alien abilities and/or psionic humans?

Fallback Candidate:
Alternity - I've run a successful campaign in the past, but was really hoping to stick with d20-compatible material. If everything else comes up short, though...

So for the d20 sci-fi gurus out there, HELP!

Azgulor

Last edited:

kingpaul

First Post
Azgulor said:
So for the d20 sci-fi gurus out there, HELP!
Well, I'm biased, since I wrote one of the books, but the Blood and Space 2 line from RPGObjects is good. I'd also take a look at the Dawning Star stuff from Blue Devil Games. Then there's the Future Players Companion group from The Game Mechanics.

Wycen

Explorer
Biased here too, but Operation Quick Launch by Dawning Star sounds right up your ally. Here is a preview chapter and in the free download section of the website you can find an adventure, character sheets, counter and other stuff.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Azgulor said:
Mutants & Masterminds - can it do straight sci-fi? As in no "powers" beyond alien abilities and/or psionic humans?
What you'd end up with is True20. The print book has two different sci-fi settings in the back, which aren't really what you're looking for but may help (Mecha vs. Kaiju and Lux Aeternum).

You might have some luck with adapting the Hot Pursuit d20 chase rules into a startship combat system. I made such an attempt for my impending Tr20 game (attempt found here) which you are free to use, modify or ignore as you desire.

Have you thought of the Serenity RPG? It's a pretty solid system (not d20, similar to Savage Worlds, but some similarities to d20 and it works well).

Of course, the previous posters have made excellent suggestions if you want to stick with d20 Modern/Future (remember Massive Damage! It keeps guns dangerous).

Good Luck!

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Wycen said:
Biased here too, but Operation Quick Launch by Dawning Star sounds right up your ally. Here is a preview chapter and in the free download section of the website you can find an adventure, character sheets, counter and other stuff.

Dawning Star might indeed meet your needs.

I'm still slugging my way thought Helios Rising--it's sister product--that outlines the rest of the universe (or so it seems her eon page 400-ish:))

Bront

The man with the probe
D20 Fading Suns may work for you. It's not quite what you've said, but it's pretty darn close.

Pbartender

First Post
Azgulor said:
"Rubber" sci-fi. Doesn't have to be realisitic, but ideally it would be internally consistent.

I like that term. I'll have to remember it. It reminds me of what I used to call "Candy" Sci-fi... Sci-fi that has a hard, cruchy shell, but a soft, chewy middle.

Based on your criteria, I'd go with SC 2.0 & Farthest Star (the Back to Basics suppliment would be a good addition too), if you can wait for it. That pair would do exactly what you wanted... From what I've heard thus far, even the Farthest Star campaign would suit you out of the box.

If you (or your players) can't wait until then, I'd probably go with D20 Modern/Future or T20 Traveller. You can easily make your own setting for either one, and both are easily customizable to whatever future tech level you desire.

edemaitre

Explorer
D20 space opera

As I've probably mentioned elsewhere on EnWorld's message boards, there are a number of decent D20 references for miltary science fiction. I also like Blood & Space, True 20/Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Ed., and licensed settings (Star Wars, Babylon 5, Farscape, Prime Directive [Trek], Firefly/Serenity, and Stargate). While Spycraft 2.0 is an awesome espionage game, I miss the simplicity and consistency of the old Star Frontiers rules and wouldn't mind seeing them get updated to the D20 OGL, but not necessarily using D20 Modern/Future rules.

In addition, I'd recommend Traveller D20, also known as T20. You'd have to strip away the imperial history, but the rules are pretty generic. I've seen Dawning Star, WARS, and other similar games at the store, but haven't picked those up. DragonStar was OK, but too much D&D3.0 in space for my taste. I like your list of inspirations, especially Battlestar Galactica (and I'd recommend Space: Above and Beyond), and I'd also be curious as to which of these most space opera Game Masters would recommend. Good luck!

DwelleroftheDeep

First Post
If you use D20 future/modern I'd add D20 mecha for use on vehicles and starships, this makes them all like vehicles. I think this simplifies everything a great deal.

tjoneslo

First Post
I'd also recommend Traveller D20 (T20) as meeting all of your requirements. The book includes the vehicle design system and scalable combat systems, And nothing says "shotguns in space" better than Traveller. And there is some much support material for anything thats missing.

Remove ads