• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The GSL in Common Language

TimeOut

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Astoundingly, I have to do the same. I never expected I'd have to, but there are libraries to use, APIs to interface with, and all this requires you to check that you follow the license agreements for these. Damn it, Jim - I am a doctorprogrammer, not a brick[s/]lawyer!

Same here.

Cirex

First Post
Your stuff has to be relatively tame. That means no gore, no sex, and no social injustice, unless we're talking elves hating dwarves.

I wonder how many Europeans would think that's a funny thing to say.

Weregrognard

First Post
Amy Kou'ai said:
6.1. You can convert your stuff to GSL, but you can't sell your old OGL stuff, except for your back stock. You can't convert back ever.

So if, hypothetically speaking (Repeat: hypothetically, I don't want to start any wild rumors), Paizo were to scrap their Pathfinder RPG project and publish their next Pathfinder adventure path under the GSL, they wouldn't be able to publish a 3.5 version of the same Pathfinder adventure path or any in the future, ever?

Wow. That would piss off a few people, no doubt.

nerfherder

Explorer
Amy Kou'ai said:
11.3. If we say you can't play anymore, you have to get rid of everything yourself. You can't pretend like we didn't break up with you, either. If you ask us, we might let you keep some of the stuff you made, though.

11.4. If you break the rules, we might have to go to court. You have to pay us for that too.
WotC is your typical nightmare girlfriend!

;)

Thanks for the translation Amy.

SweeneyTodd

First Post
Awesome read, and it looks to be accurate (at least as far as this non-lawyer can tell).

Androlphas said:
So if, hypothetically speaking (Repeat: hypothetically, I don't want to start any wild rumors), Paizo were to scrap their Pathfinder RPG project and publish their next Pathfinder adventure path under the GSL, they wouldn't be able to publish a 3.5 version of the same Pathfinder adventure path or any in the future, ever?

That's pretty much how it would work. You can bring your product line into GSL, but if you do, you can't go back to OGL.

(If they hadn't done this, then it'd be pretty easy to get around the GSL by publishing "conversion material" for all your OGL products. Obviously their lawyers weren't going to let that happen.)

Cirex said:
I wonder how many Europeans would think that's a funny thing to say.

As a European I'm not sure what's un-funny about it. It's certainly not funny, I agree, but it's not like angering other than in that it shows that WotC are very cowardly in certain respects, more cowardly than TSR even (the "social injustice" thing is a thread I noticed in the PHB's description of alignments and crops up in the MM and DMG, it basically seems like we have to portray any society which doesn't live up to late-20th century ideals as "evil").

Cirex

First Post
Ruin Explorer said:
As a European I'm not sure what's un-funny about it. It's certainly not funny, I agree, but it's not like angering other than in that it shows that WotC are very cowardly in certain respects, more cowardly than TSR even (the "social injustice" thing is a thread I noticed in the PHB's description of alignments and crops up in the MM and DMG, it basically seems like we have to portray any society which doesn't live up to late-20th century ideals as "evil").

Funny was not the correct word, you are right.
Larry Flynt comes to my mind when I read that line.

Ruin Explorer said:
As a European I'm not sure what's un-funny about it. It's certainly not funny, I agree, but it's not like angering other than in that it shows that WotC are very cowardly in certain respects, more cowardly than TSR even
"Risk averse" is not the same thing as "cowardly".

Fifth Element said:
"Risk averse" is not the same thing as "cowardly".

Yes and...?

I said WotC are being cowardly, not "risk averse". Risk averse would be generally avoiding such subject matter. Cowardly is presenting it and then saying "If they're not up to 20th century ideals of liberty, justice and social equality, freedoms which our own society doesn't remotely meet, then they're evil and MUST be portrayed as such".

Remove ads