• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Halo 2 Thread

Captain Howdy

Explorer
I didn't see another one posted after the release, so I'll start it. I don't want to make another long review, there are tons all over the net. I love the game though, just took a break from single player to start the thread. The new covenant weapons are awsome. The new warthog is awsome. The whole game is damn awsome... Who else has played it so far?

HALO 2! YES!

mojo1701

First Post
I haven't played it as of yet, since it is my roommate's copy, and he's been playing it non-stop, so I haven't had a chance, but from what I see, it does indeed look, "sweet."

GO FIRST RESPONSE!

Captain Tagon

First Post
Played a little multiplayer, but got to the third mission of the campaign. Major story twist right before that level that makes things really interesting. Awesome game play though, and the Ghosts are even more fun than before.

Macbeth

First Post
ONly had time to play multiplayer so far (but I did play it till 4 in the morning). Duel Wielding and Swords make my day. :)

Captain Tagon

First Post
Finally got around to playing some multiplayer with 6 guys. It was extremely awesome. Random starting weapons is most definately the way to go.

Macbeth

First Post
Just played all the way to the gondollas to the temple in one sitting, split screen cooperative. A few graphical glitches, but still an excellent game.

I played a few hours of multiplayer on my neighbor's Xbox last night, and thought it was pretty rockin'. We were more interested in trying out the new weapons and exploring the new levels a bit than actually playing though.

Oddly enough, some of my favorite levels were the remakes; Battle Creek and Blood Gulch (or Beaver Creek and Coagulation, or whatever their new names are.) Multiplayer level design rules seem to be different; there are much fewer open spaces for easy vehicles and sniping. I won't miss the rampant sniping so much, but I loved playing good vehicle games. I used to really kick butt in a Scorpion on Blood Gulch.

I really like some of the new weapons; the brute shotgun, the Covenant sniper, the Covenant carbine; the Wraith's are fun too, although the "lob" nature of it's projectile is difficult to get used to. The ghost is vastly improved, and the Gauss gun variant of the Warthog really kicks butt.

I had seen preview videos of the duel-wielding and it really made me roll my eyes, but it turns out it's cooler than I thought. Not only is it not a foregone conclusion that you'll want to do it (the tradeoffs of not being able to use grenades or melee attacks is pretty steep) but it's actually kinda fun anyway. Duel-wielding two needlers is pretty wicked from short to medium range. The sword was fun for a while, but didn't last. It's too difficult to use if your opponent has guns, unless you can totally sneak up on him. I can see it being really fun for certain multiplayer games, though. We used to play one we called "football" which was basically "plant your flag" with no shields and only shotguns (Longest Hall was the iconic level for that game) and I can see a variant of that with only swords being a really fun game.

Graphics were definately improved; gameplay was more of the same, but with a few more options and a better balance; you don't have as many crap weapons vs. really good weapons as you used to. Playing multiplayer with two random weapons was kinda fun too; it rocks to start the game with the rocket launcher and the sword. ;) The no health dynamic simplifies gameplay somewhat too.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Well, it's the first X-box game I've bought new in quite a while.

I am enjoying it but the hype has sort of made me go, "Meh." Great game with some innovations. Playing on different sides makes the story more rounded and more interesting but at the same time I'm thinking, "So what's truly innovative about this that shouldn't be here in the first place."

It's a Halo killer, but only because it came out after Halo.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads