The Happenings of Lucifus Cray: Update{23}07/06/06 - The Threading of the Weave

Hello everyone and a cordial welcome to all,

The following story represents our current campaign [3.5] which has been going since 3rd Editions inception - with a couple of 2nd edition characters thrown in too. Unfortunately, one of those characters - my Paladin in fact - had recently been booted from the campaign. Looking back, his behaviour was entirely self-righteous but oh well, he was fun while he lasted. As such, I had to introduce a new character into the campaign and that is where this story begins.

The Party range from 11th to 13th level so hopefully this will present good reading for those of you who like some of the higher level stuff. I am one of six players (five of us DM's) aside from Paul who is the DM for this campaign. We are all certainly grateful for the fun he provides.

I hope you enjoy the story and style.

***​

A Quick Roster of Characters

Lucifus Cray [Conjurer 10 / Alienist 3]: A wily human warlock fond of intrigue.
Demar Alorr [Fighter 10 / Knight Protector of Greater Beltratia 3]: A human noble, silver spoon etc. Suits the classic lawful Paladin.
Nemhan [Sorcerer 13]: A very chaotic elf who easily finds trouble. Elves are very rare in our game.
Titus Hornblower [Rogue 12]: A halfling with a definite knack of rubbing two coins together and creating a third.
Rebecca of Nethendawe [Ranger ? / Rogue ?]: Mysteriously played by Maree. Human we think. Hated type {Most}
Father Brian McPhail [Cleric 11]: Priest of Galasso: Father of the Beltratian Pantheon. Somewhat gruff and grumpy. Human but he should have been born a dwarf.

***​

The Disappearing Tower

The newly titled Company of the Griffon had undergone dramatic events in recent weeks. The Paladin of Fiarle who shall be known from this point as he-that-shall-not-be-named had been foisted from the group in no uncertain terms to achieve his righteous agenda elsewhere. Demar Alorr; Knight Protector of Greater Beltratia had successfully removed he-that-shall-not-be-named from the group in a most dramatic stand off. Titus, halfling and rogue extraordinaire had told the Paladin to rack off while the rest of the group failed to have more of an opinion than to go with the consensus. In the end, it was Nemhan; the elvish wizard [who in actuality was only a sorcerer] who proclaimed that the Paladin would be more suited with those of his kind. He-that-shall-not-be-named promptly departed and was heard of later adventuring down into the abyss trying to exterminate all evil with a bunch of similarly minded fools. Passionate, to the last was he.

Currently however, the party had reformed after a month’s sabbatical. They all met back in their base of operations: the City of Nethendawe, to discuss recent developments. Demar had recently won the Emperor’s medal at his order’s Grand Melee – a curious event where a bunch of farmers, knights and other riff-raff of the order beat each other’s heads in until only one remained standing. Demar was left standing as the one with the least beaten in head and so he garnered much glory and honour from the display. Demar’s martial efforts were augmented by his wizard friend and cohort Abacus [and this guy was a proper wizard too].

Rebecca, a strange “hunter” and gatherer of information had joined up with Titus the rogue to investigate events within Nethendawe itself. The group had a month earlier successfully defeated the Thieves Guild known as the Mocker’s Eye and so Rebecca and Titus had been busy mopping up the last of their presence. The massive beholder who was the Mocker’s “Eye” had been well and truly dealt with and so some level of order and safety were restored to the many and twisting streets of Nethendawe.

Father Brian contemplated the many messages of his god Galasso whilst making a variety of magical equipment for the party. Nemhan pottered around The Fraternity (the order of wizards in Nethendawe) hoping to ingratiate himself more so into their wizardly doings. He had been somewhat on the outer with Niconius Fren, the Head of The Fraternity ever since a disastrous incident with the Lady Krueg of Keryl several months earlier. Suffice to say, the chaotic elf had gone some way to making amends by gifting Niconius with a “Well of Many Worlds” much to the dismay of the rest of the party. Nemhan lacked the authority to give away such a priceless party item but I suppose an elf is an elf and an elvish sorcerer trying to be a wizard is something else again.

Presently, the group joined up along the Beltrates River in Nethendawe to discuss their various doings at Demar’s premises, a massive yet only partially finished keep labouring ever slower towards its completion deadline. Whilst intending to catch up on recent movement and activity as well as a possible new mission to Larkshire killing Giant Rivertrolls, the Company of the Griffon was somewhat distracted by local events. Of immediate interest was a squat tower that had been appearing and disappearing at regular intervals for the past few days directly adjacent to the demarcation of Demar’s property. The majority of Demar’s followers had thought it had been the fusty wizard Abacus performing some strange experiment. However when the closeted wizard had been asked, he claimed no knowledge of the events, “I assure you Lord Demar I know nothing of this. If it is magical as you describe, then it is of a distressingly powerful magnitude. We must investigate.”

The others somewhat curious as well decided to head out and follow Abacus’s suggestion. [You have to understand that not much worries this group; they are pretty powerful – 11th to 13th level]. The buildings placement, while not technically breaching the boundaries set down by the Governor Loriam of Nethendawe [she gifted Demar with the land for services rendered], still bore a degree of insolence that disturbed the young knight. If the structure blocked local access for his keeps construction, he would have the thing removed upon the instant.

***​

As they got closer to the three story stone structure, a sign upon the building was spotted dangling in the breeze drifting off the Beltrates. “What does that say Titus”, Demar enquired.
“Buggered if I know” responded Titus trying to rub a smudge off of the eyeglass lens with his shirtsleeve. The group approached carefully and Titus read the sign above the open doorway to the tower.
“Lucifus’s… Diabolerie… Arcana. What kind of name is that?!”
Abacus, warming up to informative duty answered, “I fear good Titus that it has to do with something entirely evil. Diabolerie refers to works of the Devil or some such. Arcana refers to the wizardly arts while Lucifus…well whoever he is, he must certainly be a foreigner.”

This had the party a little on edge. They had dealt recently with the Mocker’s Eye Guild that had connections to the abyss and so dealing with something directly evil like this again did not sit well with them. Demar, ever the hero walked to the front and poked his head inside the premises. It soon became obvious that this was a shop of some type. Books lined every conceivable space in the building with scrolls, skulls and strange equipment rife. A twisted staircase led aloft to an upper area where a small kafuffle was taking place.

“Ah…hello” enquired Demar speaking towards the upper level of the tower. “Is anyone up there?”
The noise from above ceased momentarily before continuing. A few seconds later a voice could be heard giving orders, “We have customers Joald… don’t just leave them standing there pondering their fates.”
Another voice could be heard mumbling an ineffectual response before seemingly returning to whatever it (Joald?) was doing.

At that point a strange floating figure descended from the upper portion of the tower. “And somehow I’m supposed to make money with such staff” mumbled the hovering cross-legged man somewhat exasperated at being disturbed from his work. “Oh…we do actually have customers”, the man said somewhat surprised as if clientele were a novelty. The man floated down to the group slowly; recognition appearing on his face as if in delight. He was wearing a strange black silk toga and what appeared to be some form of headdress [the group had not seen a turban before]. He proceeded to hover above and in front of the surprised party before introducing himself, “Is there anything in particular I can help you with? My name is Lucifus Cray…Warlock.”

Now this immediately had the group on guard. Warlocks and Witches were seen in an incredibly poor light in Nethendawe. With recent events [another sorry saga involving the party that shall perhaps be discussed at a later stage] regarding witches still fresh in the minds of those of the party and city, this man automatically aroused deepest suspicion.

“My name is Lord Demar of the Family Alorr. You have set up your… premises disturbingly close to my property. I do not wish you ill but I would like to know what exactly you are doing here and perhaps when you are intending to depart?”
“Now that, I’m glad you asked. In actual fact and I am sure to your surprise, I was hoping to attract your august attention young Demar,” replied Lucifus as Demar frowned at the informal use of his first name. “I was hoping you… and I suppose your entire party would consider me as a candidate for inclusion into your famous group of adventurers. In fact, I would wish to assist you now that you seem to have released the unfortunate services of your Paladin.”

Now this caused a definite stir amongst the group. Father Brian immediately choked upon the temerity of this strange man while Demar was caught short for words – it was not quite the answer he was expecting. Nemhan, himself floating [if not quite as elegantly as Lucifus] dropped to his feet while Rebecca tried to apply some form of logic to the request. Abacus peered inquisitively at a strange set of equipments upon a shelf while Titus was the only one who thought the man’s introduction somewhat ingenious. He had certainly grabbed their attention [and from a rogue’s point of view, he had a fabulous variety of valuable and saleable items].

Eventually, Demar found his voice, “As the newly appointed leader of our group, I find your request hard to fathom. Do you know who exactly we are and what we stand for? Your interests would seem to be somewhat at discord with our own.”
“But young Demar [Demar’s frown deepened even further at this point], you are looking at perhaps one of the foremost minds of arcana, extraplanar activity, magics and lore, not only here in Nethendawe but perhaps across the breadth of Urth. I am not boasting when I say that I would be an incredible asset to your group. My castings would augment your group’s already potent magics nicely, particularly considering the most recent departure of some upfront righteous muscle. I can of course summon all manner of creatures to good and positive effect to assume some of the slack.”

Lucifus’s argument and promise of ability while cogent did not seem to immediately sway the young Knight still caught surprised by the overall request. By this stage Abacus had ventured further examining various articles for trade that seemed to increasingly disturb him. Titus as well had begun to “case” the tower while Rebecca and the others watched on to see Demar’s response.

Just as Demar was about to speak, a small ruckus similar to that of their initial entry could be heard followed by a squawk of protest from some creature. The heavy steps of a very large person as well as a few hideous noises [possibly laughter] could be heard twisting down the tight staircase. Landing at the base of the stairs was a repulsive beast: half man, half orc carrying a ridiculously large axe. “Gruk gnasa, tuk-tuk?” he asked Lucifus in a strange tongue.
“Ara su Tunthi. Nusay Gnasa” responded Lucifus as calmly as possible to the beast’s question of whether to take all of the visitor’s heads off. “This my friends and guests is Tunthi. He is very happy to meet you all”, ‘interpreted’ Lucifus.

Now Tunthi is best described as barely human, poorly attired [in rat fur] and somewhat rank and odiferous to those near him. He is also incredibly large and possibly strong enough to rip most people in half. Both he and Lucifus exchanged quick words in the primitive Derman language while the half-orc sniffed around the new guests. Lucifus had by this stage determined that Derman was fortunately foreign to the Company of the Griffon.

Abacus who had by now stumbled upon Lucifus’s collection of demon skulls – some inscribed with a curious dialect rarely seen by mortals – called out to Demar, “I am not entirely happy with some of the articles this man has in his possession.” Lucifus in fact had a great number of questionable items in his possession as any comprehensive collection of lore on arcana and extraplanar activities eventually must. If Abacus had have ventured to the upper levels, hostile action would have been inevitable. Fortunately for the group and of course Lucifus Cray, Abacus kept his investigations to the lowest level.

Demar now turned back to Lucifus, “If Abacus has issues with some of your interests then so do I. While any support or assistance, particularly of the arcane variety is always appreciated, you are not doing much to further your cause here. We would need someone who was trustworthy and could act in a responsible manner. Your strange interests would seem to preclude…”

At this point, Demar’s postulating was interrupted by Tunthi the half-orc looking leeringly over at Rebecca and holding something out towards her whilst shuffling from foot to foot. Further examination revealed two coins of platinum being thrust at Rebecca. It took a few moments for all present to work out the intentions of the half-orc. The Bluster of Father Brian’s billowing protest then filled the air, “Well I never! This is an absolute disgrace to come here and be subjected to the fornicating desires of this beastly…”
“Tunthi esa nusay bilgus. Nusay bilgus”, Lucifus said mildly reproaching the half-orc [more for his frivolous generosity than the fact that the offer was not consonant with Rebecca’s dignity]. “I am terribly sorry young lady. Tunthi sometimes gets a little toey when in big cities like Nethendawe. I can assure you however that he was being untypically generous. Personally I would derive some level of compliment from his misguided display of affection.”
Rebecca, not easily flustered put a hand upon her weapon ready to draw it if Tunthi’s exuberance edged any closer. Tunthi however, looked downward, his disappointment obvious and firmly registered.

A further disturbance was heard from upstairs as a large bird descended towards Lucifus. At this, Titus’s crossbow was instantly out and loaded and Rebecca’s hand went from short sword to longbow, instantly drawing an arrow and placing a bead upon the raven; now freshly perched upon Lucifus’s shoulder.

Lucifus’s face was unmoved, the cordial smile not leaving for an instant. He then replied, “Friends, friends. Come now, this is my small companion. Surely she is not worthy of such dramatic attention?”
Demar who had gone on guard as well answered “I think you need to start explaining yourself a little more thoroughly now. We have had poor experiences with ravens of late. They have been used to spy upon our group’s activities much to our detriment.”
“Well surely you don’t think Winter here is any threat. She is quite friendly in fact.” Lucifus looked towards his familiar, “Go on why don’t you introduce yourself…”
It took a few moments before the bird coughed up a small squawk. Lucifus frowned. “Go on. Introduce yourself properly.”
“Hello” said the bird in a very croaky bird-like Beltratian [the Common tongue for the region].
This brought several strange looks from the party. “Unfortunately, her Beltratian is scatty at best. On the other hand though her Ambornan is perfectly fluent”, answered Lucifus.

Titus by now had perched himself at height upon the staircase, “Well I don’t care nuthin’ bout talking birdies. Pluck us one of its feathers and lets see what happens.”
Titus was obviously responding to their experiences where if a feather from one of their enemy’s ravens was dislodged and touched the ground, it would crumble upon the instant to dust. Lucifus knowing none of this responded diffidently, “I do not know of the suspicions you speak. Suffice to say that there is surely some form of misunderstanding here.”

The looks upon the faces of the party had not changed and in Father Brian’s case, his frown had deepened to outright hostility. “Oh very well then” said Lucifus quickly plucking one of Winter’s downy feathers from her breast. The raven squawked in extreme protest and flapped disgustedly back to the upper level. In the excitement, several feathers were left floating down to the ground. The party’s eyes followed the twisting path of the feathers to the floor. As the feathers hit the ground resting upon the flagstones unmolested, the party visibly eased. This seemed to assuage some of their concerns to Lucifus’s surprise. He then remembered something and smiled although not quite as cordially as before. “Well I hope that alleviates some of your concerns in regards to Winter. As you can see, she is not some devil spawn or arcane oddity. However, you have now got her most upset at me and I dare say I’ll need to perform several contortions of highest magnitude to placate her.”

Ever the icebreaker, Tunthi let loose a rancid expulsion of thunderous proportions. He looked around at his backside where a cage containing a toad rested at his hip. With exaggerated joy, he wafted the now acrid air towards the toad while excitedly repeating “fufi, fufi, fufi…”
“What on Urth is he doing”, said Demar stating the obvious mirthful confusion of everyone as Tunthi banged the metal cage in delight. “Do you normally let him treat your creatures in such manner?”

Smiling, Lucifus said “Tunthi has a certain emotional affinity and rapport with a variety of beasts. In regards to that nasty toad however, he does his best to torment the malignant thing.”
Nemhan, now aroused said, “What exactly are you saying? Is the toad… evil?’
“Well… “
“Well is it evil?
“I suppose its distorted morality could encompass such motives. It is certainly a most malevolent beastling”, Lucifus answered.
“ What do you mean by this?’ demanded Nemhan. “Is it some demon’s get you have captured and now torture?”
“Well Nemhan… may I call you Nemhan?” enquired Lucifus. “For a start, the creature is not mine, it is Tunthi’s and secondly, if you knew the whole story, you might not be so quick to judge Tunthi’s behaviour. He is in fact performing a most important duty and service for his clan in regards to this… toad.”

Nemhan, not able to contain either impulse or curiosity cast a magic and approached both Tunthi and his ‘companion’ whilst also trying to catch Lucifus within the spell’s range. Tunthi looked on harmlessly while the toad seemed to cower back uncomfortably from Nemhan’s aura. “It is most certainly evil”, reported Nemhan. “As to its origins, I cannot divine Lord Demar.”

Demar now spoke, “Again Lucifus, this seems most uncustomary. Why do you feel the need to have an evil toad? And certainly why is it evil in the first place? In fact, while you have rabbited on about your numerous virtues, you have not discussed a mote about what it is exactly that you are doing here, nor have you provided any background history for our groups discussion on your suitability for inclusion. In fact you have mounted an argument quite to the contrary.”

“Why Demar, as you can see if you look around, I am a merchant of various lore. In fact I travel from place to place with my tower providing assistance to interested and like-minded people. In truth though I have not always been a vendor. As for the toad’s malignancy, I suppose I must confess myself that I have not always followed the good path nor been the nicest of chaps either.”
“Wait a minute” demanded Father Brian, obviously unhappy with Lucifus’s personality and presentation thus far. “Do you follow some God or Deity that we should perhaps know about?”
Father Brian obviously expected to hear some form of tainted worship or cult membership.

“Well as a matter of fact, I have searched and found entities far more powerful than the commonly worshipped local deities.” To this, Father Brian of Galasso’s face purpled. Lucifus not noticing continued, “I suppose I have tried to reach beyond the normal boundaries customarily accepted by most mortals.”
At this point, Lucifus was doing his unwitting best to dig a rather large hole for himself, jump in and hand the group a series of spades.

Demar fortunately sought to take some of the heat out of the situation trying his best to give the man a chance [Lucifus might be very useful to the party after all]. “But you have swayed away from such evil doings now? You currently consider yourself good of heart so to speak?”
“Oh quite assuredly so Demar. I believe I have well and truly suffered the redemptive process in its entirety. Where as once I used to claim dominion over any creature I could bind to my will, now I am far more selective.”
“So you used to deal with evil beings as well!?” asked Father Brian.
“Of course, although demons while useful are somewhat flighty. Devils on the other hand are much more practical. However, they do abrade my sensibilities somewhat. I must say though, such creatures have advanced my power immeasurably. I suppose…”
Lucifus’s words were cut off by Demar placing a hand upon his massive hammer whilst quietly saying, “Let’s get one thing quite straight shall we if you wish to join us. If you so much as pretend to flicker one of these demons or devils into our presence, I will see to it personally that it shall be your last movement. On this may I have your sincere understanding?”

“Oh Demar, you have no need for such concerns at all. I have long given up dealing with such creatures. I have seen the error of my ways well and truly. I have not used such a creature to assassinate someone for what must be…”
“You were an assassin?!!!”, roared Father Brian. “I believe the current discussions have gone quite far enough! If the rest of you wish to stay hear and listen to this heathen dribble…”
“But I assure you good Father. I have most earnestly changed my ways. In fact I would consider myself most trustworthy… one of the reasons in fact that I have chosen the path of Merchant.”
Even Titus shook his head at this, trying his best to hold back a smirk as he balanced his crossbow at Lucifus’s head waiting for the go ahead.

“So, having reformed yourself from assassinations, you now wander around in this tower?” asked Demar. “How exactly do you carry it around?” he added.
“Why by magic of course. It is certainly one of the greatest Dweomers I have designed. I have titled it Lucifus’s Portable Tower. It is a very handy way of carrying all my libraries, materials and possessions from place to place. For example if you need to vacate a particular township in a hurry to evade the local authorities, you simply dismiss the tower and…”
“And you have needed to evade the law?” questioned Demar. Now Demar as a Knight Protector and most strict adherent to all things lawful waited patiently for the answer.
“No no no, of course not. I was merely speaking in theoretical terms. I make a hard and fast rule never to cheat a customer. Reputation is everything in my field. I would not want to be seen as breaking the law so to speak.”

“Well, if you insist upon your probity, we will have to believe you”, Demar said. “Nemhan does not seem to have divined differently [Nemhan shakes his head earnestly] and while some of your interests are off-putting, I suppose we all have our foibles. I do have a question for you though seeing as you have such an interest in books. If I wished for you to purchase a Master’s Library on historical scripts around the time of the Interregnum, you could quickly effect such a transaction?”
“Such a request could be easily achieved over time”, Lucifus answered.
“What do you mean by ‘achieved over time’?”
“Well”, said Lucifus. “You could not possibly expect to instantly…you see people will not just simply sell an entire collection like that. Such a collection is… well... collected.”
“Surely there would be some room for latitude?”
“Not as much room as you would wish. You could pay treble the market value… unless of course you wished to… de-possess someone of their library.”
“De-possess?”
“Steal. You know…nick their books”, added Titus, not passing up an opportunity to set the Knight off.

“No!” responded Demar emphatically. “I am most certainly not requesting you to thieve, steal or unlawfully attain someone else’s possessions. Such a library would be required to be lawfully purchased. I will not have my good name or the company’s stained by such activities. I was hoping for a more expedient transaction but if that is the way the wind blows, it is good knowledge to have I suppose. In any case, the issue at hand is your request to join the Company of the Griffon. While I am the leader of this group I would still prefer for individual responses from the party. A vote would be the most orderly and practical mechanism. Abacus, as my trusted advisor, what are your thoughts?”

“Well”, warmed Abacus to the task. “I have some concerns in regards to this man's past as well as some of the habits he has picked up from goodness knows where. From his unnatural collection and aerial acrobatics, I can see he is a wizard [Lucifus looks most affronted at this title] of considerable power. Whether he has the morals to use such power correctly is yet to be seen. As to any benefits he may supply the group… I am yet to come to a full and complete conclusion. As such Lord Demar, I will be in accord with your opinion and judgment”.

“Rebecca?” asked Demar.
“He could be useful. I fail to see too much of an issue with him as long as he keeps this hairy bag of filth and snot in line”, she said in her low cadent voice, her eyes distinctly upon Tunthi’s large back.

“Titus?”
“He looks the goods to me.”

“Father Brian?”
Looking disdainfully over at Lucifus who was now starting to hover upside-down in expectation of the priest’s poor opinion, Father Brian said “I will abstain from the poll and keep my opinions to myself”.
Such was the way Father Brian thought to register his most heavy disapproval. Surely the Company did not want to be morally weighed down by this ridiculous little man.

“Nemhan?”
“If he has changed his ways, I am all for giving someone a go” Nemhan answered.
While disturbed by some of Lucifus’s revelations and despite his party position being marginalised by another spellcaster, a mood of congeniality came over the elf to accede to Lucifus’s inclusion.

“Well” began Demar. “I suppose it falls to me to rubber stamp the invitation. The majority of you have chosen to give Lucifus here a go. But Lucifus Cray or whatever you wish to call yourself, understand one thing with clarity and precision. I will tolerate your addition so long as you toe the party line. Understand that we deal on a regular basis with the type of person you once were. If you ever fall back into earlier habits, your life will be quickly ended so long as I stand upon the soils of Urth. Anyway, meet with us this evening at the recently completed Mess Hall of my keep at the ringing of the 6th bell. We are actually making plans for an expedition on the morrow and so your input will be required if you truly wish to help us.” To the others Demar added, “And Lord Herland Ramus, Leader of my Order will be in attendance as well. He has communicated a gap in his schedule with the Governor so he will be present for the evening repast as well.”

With this, Lucifus bowed deeply and politely. “I thank you Lord Demar and all of you for your sincerest good will [this elicited a firm stare and jutted jaw from Father Brian]. I shall make my preparations for this evening’s gathering”. Smiling now he added, “I look forward to a little adventuring. It has been quite a while so thank you again for the opportunity”.

With this, the group departed Lucifus’s tower a little surprised at what had just happened. Surely they had not just asked an itinerant, thieving, demon summoning, raven owning, evil toad carrying, half-orc possessing, warlock-titled, godless, former assassin to become the newest member of the valorous Company of the Griffon? I suppose a Paladin was part of the group once so anything is possible.

Last edited:

Boss

First Post
I have to say that I truly enjoyed reading this. I love how the party interplay worked with the new character here. Usually, in our campaigns, a meeting of new characters goes like this...

GROUP LEADER: "Who are you?"
NEW CHAR: "I am ____________!!!!"
GROUP LEADER: "Ok, let's go!"

Not the best if I do say so myself. Congrats on the beginning of what looks to be another excellent storyhour!

{2} A Dinner With Guests

Thanks Boss for the generous reply - any and all feedback, positive or negative is always appreciated. Hope you enjoy the ride.

Unfortunately, the first post was most likely a little long for most; I just didn't want to force a break with the initial meeting. [That took us about 3 hours of role-playing - I left quite a few things out unfortunately but it was already over-sized]. Now that we're on the way, I'll temper updates to a more bite-size level.

Anyway people, don't be strangers, post your thoughts if you're enjoying.

A Dinner with Guests

A light rain persisted across Nethendawe, casting a dour aspect to the afternoon. Preparations were made by Demar for the evening’s entertainment. This involved getting Father Brian to apply his culinary and gastronomic talents to the kitchen, overseeing servants and staff to properly prepare the newly constructed dining area as well as coordinate security from some of the guardsmen at his command [Demar has a large number of martial followers]. This would be the first time Herland Ramus, Head of the Knight Protectors of Greater Beltratia had visited the half-constructed keep so Demar was adamant on making a good show of playing host. In addition, he hoped for the keep to be enshrined as the primary defensive presence of his Order in Nethendawe and so excellent hospitality was a must and requirement.

The invitation to Lucifus Cray had been a bit of a surprise so Demar had Titus and Rebecca do a little background checking over the afternoon just to make sure they were not being duped by one of their enemy’s servants. From what they found, they deduced small reason for further suspicion and so for the moment, Lucifus was left installed as the newest member of the Company of the Griffon. Obviously however, not all in the group were happy with the circumstances: Father Brian in particular.

As the late afternoon drizzle abated and the sun’s glow momentarily appeared before setting; numerous flamboys around the keep were lit providing a cheery and radiant illumination for the evening’s guests. While there was obviously much work yet to be done, the beginnings of a fine keep were clearly seen by all as the various towers and walls under construction silhouetted the beautiful evening sky to advantage. Herland Ramus along with his small entourage were given a tour of the keep’s prospective facilities before joining various members of the group in the reception foyer. There, they enjoyed glasses of well-pressed wine and accompanying savouries and hors d’oeuvres. So far however, Lucifus Cray had not presented himself to the festivities. While not yet tardy or overdue, a close eye was being kept out for their newest member’s punctual arrival.

In fact, Lucifus was currently outside the compound having been stopped and delayed by a patrol of four guards representing Demar’s interests. Floating his usual five feet above the ground, he was dressed once more in a distinctively fine black toga although the accompanying turban had this time been left out of the raiment. Instead, a wonderfully jewelled headband adorned his completely bald pate while his black goatee was waxed in resplendent grandeur. On his shoulder rested the raven Winter while standing directly in front of him was the uninhibited form of the giant, axe-carrying Tunthi replete with caged toad at hip. It would appear that Tunthi’s presence had not been expected.

“I understand good sir that you were summonsed by Lord Demar but nowhere was I informed of the invitation of this… thing.” The guard while doing his best to look authoritative was belied by having to distinctively gaze up at both the half-orc and the floating warlock.
“I am sure watchman that there has just been a simple miscommunication between yourself and your superiors. I commend your diligence but in this regard, it is most probably easier and more effectual if I just simply presented my guest to Demar and thus not distract or waylay you from your tasks and responsibilities. In fact, I believe I have just heard the ringing of the sixth bell so if you’ll excuse us…”
Now normally, all things being equal, most people would have simply acceded to the simpler path of letting Lucifus through. In this case however, the guard not wanting to set a poor example and appear derelict in his duties to those under his command pushed forward and commanded, “While I am sure you have the best of intentions, I cannot allow you to overstep the clear instructions that were presented to me. You will have to leave this…”
And once more Tunthi became the centre of attention. Normally, his proclivity for swinging his axe would have been the more immediate response but on this occasion, he had been given strict instructions not to do or say anything hostile. As such, he had started scratching himself during the discussions and had accidentally dislodged his frontal member from his loose fitting garments. Now seeing his priapic unit, he then felt compelled to relieve himself and so with a satisfied moan, he pointed the surge just away from the now speechless guards.

“You’ll have to excuse poor Tunthi on this occasion. He’s had… an infection down there and so has little control of his functions… at the moment”, Lucifus quickly fabricated.
The guard’s face now totally disgusted said, “This is most unseemly and I will not allow…”
“I’m sorry good sir”, shouted Lucifus motioning at his ears. By now, a sizeable puddle had developed and the continuing flow along with Tunthi’s accompanying grunts and moans were making quite a ruckus. “I’m struggling to hear your commentary. Can you speak up?”
I said! I will not allow you to take this beast into my master’s presence. In fact, I suggest that you remove both he and you immediately from the grounds before I call…

The watchmen’s orders were interrupted by Demar and Father Brian’s appearance from just beyond the torchlight. Demar shouted from a distance, “He’s OK Jerard. Let them pass otherwise they will be late for the first course.” Tunthi at this point had tapped and shaken – something akin to strangling an engorged eel – and was now trying to relocate and stuff his titanic package back into his clothing whilst hurriedly shuffling past the guards towards Demar. “Have a good evening gentlemen”, said Lucifus cordially with only the slightest of smirks towards the now open mouthed and totally stricken guardsmen. Guard duty in the employ of Lord Demar Alorr was not exactly shaping as the glorious post it had initially promised thought Jerard as he moved his men on.

Last edited:

{3} A Toad By Any Other Name?

And the story continues...

***​

Lucifus and Tunthi were escorted to the reception area with Demar and Father Brian. Along the way, Demar exclaimed that while Tunthi would be welcome, Lucifus would need to clean him up or at the very least place some enchantment upon him that would make his rather ripe aura less noticeable and offensive. Father Brian annoyed at the expedition to get Lucifus, quickly whipped around the rear of the hall to the kitchen to oversee the procession of the evening’s many courses. Lucifus, following Demar’s direction did his best to make Tunthi presentable. They had repaired to an adjoining vestibule when an elderly man in finest livery carrying a white serving cloth greeted them.

“Good evening gentlemen, I am Romsey, Milord’s chief aide, butler and valet. I have been given to understand some measure of assistance would be appreciated? Here… allow me to help you out of those sir,” suggested Romsey, offering to aid Tunthi from his soiled garments. Tunthi just looked at Lucifus perplexed while Lucifus interpreted Romsey’s directions to the half-orc. To his extreme credit and professionalism, Romsey did not even flinch when handed the rags leaving the half-orc standing freshly nude upon the newly laid flagstones. “With your leave good sir, I’ll have your garments washed and pressed. In the meantime, I have seen to some temporary attire that will surely make this evening’s events more comfortable for all concerned.”

A maid quietly stepped into the vestibule, suddenly choking at the sight of Tunthi’s grossly proportioned manhood before immediately locking her gaze to her feet. “Why thank you Clarissa,” expressed Romsey taking the large homespun robes from her shaking hands before excusing her. Romsey assisted Tunthi in applying the new outfit to best effect. “Yes… While not exactly the highest of mode and fashion [Tunthi insisted on accessorizing with his axe and toad’s cage], I’m sure it shall suffice. Do you have any other needs or requirements before your presentation to this evening’s gathering?”
Lucifus shook his head, privately laughing at Tunthi’s totally bemused expression.
“No? In which case then allow me to warmly escort you both to the dining hall.”

By now, the visitors had been moved through into the Dining Hall as the first of seven courses was being prepared for consumption. Lord Herland Ramus had been given the seat of honour at the head of the table while Demar sat immediately to his right as protocol dictated. To Ramus’s left were positioned his two assistants from the Order while others in the group less constrained by matters of etiquette and diplomacy seated themselves as suited. Lucifus and Tunthi were finally ushered in and accommodated at the furthermost end of the table. Demar, noting everyone’s presence addressed the gathering.

“Welcome everyone and thank you all for coming this evening. To you Lord Ramus, I am honoured to have you visit our humble facilities here that I hope will develop into a strong symbol of our Orders presence in Nethendawe. In regards to this evening’s feast, Galasso has surely blessed us all this evening in encouraging Father Brian to perform his magic in the newly finished kitchen. However, before we delight in the forthcoming provender, I would like to officially introduce everyone to our honoured guest Lord Herland Ramus, Leader of the Knight Protectors of Greater Beltratia, Holy Knight of Fiarle the Lionheart and Principal Advisor to his eminence Emperor Leto of the Reborn Beltratian Empire. He has kindly deigned to talk to us all in regards to recent events, most notably, the Emperor’s official endorsement of the Company of the Griffon as a representative of the Reborn Empire [this was met by polite applause].”

Demar introduced the group to Lord Ramus [each member responding as noted below]. “Obviously sir, you have met my trusted friend and chief advisor Magister Abacus [a polite nod] in addition to my chamberlain Sir William Sarenns [a most diplomatic bow] and Father Brian Macphail, presently in the kitchen. However, may I introduce Rebecca of Nethendawe [a practised curtsey], Titus Hornblower [an informal wave], the Wizard Nemhan [a most ingratiated and fawning bow] and our newest member as of this morning, the Wizard Lucifus Cray [a spoken correction of “Warlock” followed by an inclination of the head] and…[a slight stumble from Demar here] his companion…Tunthi of the Axe” [Tunthi oblivious to the introduction, failed to produce an appropriate response].

“I am pleased to meet you all,” intoned Lord Ramus. “Although Lucifus Cray, I note your title as one not consonant with the dignity of a representative of the Emperor as the now freshly endorsed Company of the Griffon entails. Perhaps it would be most wise of you to follow Lord Demar’s titular suggestion in this regard?”
Lucifus who had been floating at a slightly decreased altitude to facilitate a better eye-level with those assembled responded undaunted, “I thank you for the advice and shall consider it forthwith. Unfortunately, you must understand that many would be confused in regards to a changed vocation on my part.”
“The change would seem to be an augmentation. I do not understand your concerns,” answered the Knight.
“And no doubt you wouldn’t. However, the title of Warlock is fundamental to my outlook and the perceived presence I prefer. Its alteration would need to be something carefully considered… something of which I am of course now promising to at the very least look at.”
Demar, not wanting to see the evening’s proceedings begin on a poorer note quickly changed the focus. “Indications are [he nodded to Romsey who had just re-entered the hall] that the first course is ready for serving so please, everyone enjoy.”

Serving women quickly entered with a first course of freshly shucked oysters bathed in a reduction of white wine and garlic along with a new salad of baby cress, fresh greens, crisp eschalots and river leaves. Salmon roe was accompanied by a base of fennel, celery and blood orange and in turn augmented by a side dish of aged cheese, young rocket and baby capers. The majority of the guests consumed the course politely with courteous use of utensils and table manners according to societal decorum and etiquette. There were however a few notable exceptions.

Titus, who had declined the use of a “booster seat” instead stood with his hairy, small feet upon the chair and consumed the meal standing up with debonair use of his exquisite dagger. The group were quite familiar with this behaviour although ruffled eyebrows from both of Herland Ramus’s advisers were occasionally directed in the halfling’s direction. Titus made sure he smiled and nodded with a flourish on each such occasion. Lucifus maintained his hovering, cross-legged pose yet did not touch any of the food on offer{1} although he did selectively apply his wine goblet in moderation. Tunthi however was having difficulty adjusting to the menu. While he had consumed everything within reach, he had left a mess both on, to the side and below the table. Occasionally he would bend over to pick up a choice, dropped morsel but each time, a flatulent rejoinder would accompany the action. Most politely ignored the behaviour although Rebecca could not help but chuckle on the noisier occasions.

Discussions again resumed whereby Sir Ramus congratulated the group on their significant improvement in status. In particular, he made mention of numerous positive reports of their behaviour in regards to their efforts in Nethendawe. However, he did report of difficulties with the city-states of Keryl, Flekir and Greatbridge{2}. There were rumours of a possible alliance amongst them if the Emperor sought to extend his reach beyond that he currently held. Perhaps surprisingly, Lord Ramus while fully supportive of Emperor Leto was reserved in regards to further ambitions beyond the limited charter already established. As such, the party were given a rare glimpse into the highest level of political manoeuvring not normally seen by members of the populous.

Conversation then transferred to a discussion on Liches{3} as well as the Larkshire expedition on the morrow. Lord Ramus suggested the group investigate a disturbing number of trolls and other nuisances that have had the local constabulary of rangers in conniptions. Normally, the Emperor would just let local authorities deal with the situation as best as they could but on this occasion; Lord Ramus had an inkling that there was more to the case than was initially presented. An unnatural undertone was garnered from a further report that had engaged his attention. As such, he thought that the Company of the Griffon might be best to investigate such things. They were quite capable of dealing with such threats and at the very least, would make short work of the Trolls. The fact that the local ruler of Larkshire, Governor Lidia of Terrefin was a former member and current ally of the group was also a fact not lost on Lord Ramus.

During the discussions, wonderful courses of magnificent proportion came and went. Steamed mussels, crab and other local shellfish were carefully prepared until succulent and savoury. An aromatic conserve of black olives, burnt sage butter and celeriac puree topped an aged haunch of venison carefully turned and roasted. Pheasant and other game collected by local hunters were broiled and capriciously matched to unusual vegetables. However, residing on the banks of the Beltrates, Father Brian was compelled to further extend the menu into other river-life: fresh catfish, stewed in a consommé of mixed vegetables and local produce were married to a casserole of smaller fish types and some of the riverbush delicacies favoured by locals. By the presentation of the final course, the mood had relaxed and discussion ventured more towards personal interests from the previous heavier discourse.

Nemhan who had applied generous quantities of alcohol to his gullet was busy making chitchat. “So Lucifasus…sus,” slurred Nemhan enjoying yet another glass of dessert wine pressed from the Alleara grape. “Can you enlighten us in regards to your… malignant toad? The good Holy Knight here may be able to… cure{4} it of its evil intentions?”
Sir Herland Ramus and indeed most of the table now turned to where Lucifus was hovering and Tunthi gloriously snoring – having downed three jugs of wine in quick succession.
“I’m not too sure the Emperor’s Advisor would wish to be bothered with such trifling details, answered Lucifus.
“No please Lucifus. I would be most interested in this…evil toad.”
“Well I suppose I could cover some of the basic details for you if insisted upon. In fact, the first place would be the common misconception that this creature is a toad: an attitude I have done my best to portray and inculcate. Please forgive my untruth. The creature is in actuality Jengus of the Pianatha tribe: mortal enemy and destroyer of Tunthi’s entire clan.”

Stunned silence greeted those words.

***​

{1}Lucifus was neither intentionally being discourteous nor fearing poisoning from Father Brian, he merely had been conditioned into not eating through the use of his Ring of Sustenance.

{2}The Reborn Empire was realistically not a patch on its former glory. Many of these provincial city-states (Keryl etc.) openly laughed at a “New” Empire comprising of just two cities: Nethendawe and Peronsil. Whilst Nethendawe was the former capital of the once Great Beltratian Empire and Peronsil was one of her prime sister-cities, the sovereign reach of the new Reborn Empire was impotent at best. In fact, recently and without fanfare, the county of Larkshire had been added to the new empire’s register though this was a source of even more ridicule. This backwater would be an increased drain on the Reborn Empire’s already slim resources.

{3}Liches form a rather devastating period in the history of the realm known as the Interregnum. More information on this and how it relates to our party will be presented in a future post.

{4}The proselytizing Paladin He-that-shall-not-be-named was very successful at swaying creatures from evil to good. There were several notches in his episcopal staff, most notable being a hill giant named Grusk: currently and peacefully residing on the Paladin’s island. Nemhan was obviously making reference and the incorrect assumption that all Holy Knights were capable of such feats of catechisation. Lord Ramus’s pursuits in fact focused on alternative endeavours.

Last edited:

Boojum

First Post
Greetings Herremann. Since you were so kind as to offer some feedback on my new story-hour, I thought I would return the favor. Overall, I am really enjoying it and looking forward to reading more. I find the somewhat comical tone very amusing, and am envious of the detailed character interaction and personalities in your group. My players tend to get antsy if they don't get to kill something pretty regularly. Again, good start, and I definitely want to read more.

{4} The Gumbil's Turm

Hello to all,

In addition to the update below, I have also altered the first post a little to make it a little more accessible. Thanks to all who are reading and enjoying.

***​

Two Days Earlier…

Nethendawe is a city with interesting features and history. The former capital of the Great Beltratian Empire stretching from Amborna in the East to Kortillne in the west, it now rests upon the Beltrates delta, a decadent shell of its former glory. The magnificent spires and domes remain but where as once, it was the height of civilization and technology; it now plays second fiddle to Peronsil in the new Reborn Empire: itself a simple ersatz domain of what once was. Its dominant architecture reflects its age, with a blending of styles and forms, elaborate bridges, bas-reliefs, and statues commemorating long-forgotten heroes. These features are sprinkled throughout the city.

Also peppering the city are a large number of Inns and Taverns that hold historic links to the Nethendawe of yore. The faces and people may have changed over the years but the traditions of these prime public houses remain as if the culture was intrinsic to their very walls and structure. The Hammer and Anvil remains the stern seat of the labourer, a carefully brewed selection of ales, beers and lagers representing the solemn nature of those of the trade. The excesses of the Golden Drake characterize the extreme clientele that walk through its massive doors. Many an adventurer has become involved in a scrap or brawl only to be left drunkenly singing with the other combatants later in the evening. The Starwing Tavern symbolizes to a certain extent, the cosmopolitan nature of Nethendawe. Here, practised thieves would drink along side of merchants and dealers. An overall mood and atmosphere of competence and shady deals pervaded the place; status was prime. The Sword and Star catered to the local watch and constabulary where as the Queen of Kort remained a favourite for the small number of nobility that remained in Nethendawe.

Perhaps the only inn belying this general trend of culture was Gumbil’s Turm. Where as once it had been an imperial army institution, it now played host to a variety of patrons whose interests ranged from the quaint to the perverse. It would be unfair to describe the ambiance as only dissolute or profligate, although certainly such was a part of the mystique of Gumbil’s Turm. On the whole though, most people would find something or someone of interest at the Turm, a most popular destination for secret rendezvous’, trysts or even simple conversation. At this moment in fact Lucifus Cray floated{1} through its open stone doorway to find a casual corner with which to wait for his contact and friend. Her name was Chess.

The Turm’s mood at the moment was serene with the afternoon light shining through a handful of windows. The Beltrates lied beyond while numerous patrons wiled away the time sipping on wines, gentle spirits and even the occasional mug or flagon. Lucifus’s aerial entry had caused a small stir but to stare at someone of the arcane was normally considered slightly rude or course. As such, the decorous returned to their previous activity. A young woman however walked across the room and pulled up a chair on the other side of Lucifus’s position as she made her greetings, “Well hello once more. You certainly know how to make an entry.”
Lucifus did not immediately recognise Chess as she had magically altered her semblance{2} to that of a human. However, a fillet confined her hair, which Lucifus divined as the magical source of her alteration. That velvety golden voice as well could also only belong to one person. Even without her slight elvish embellishments, she was still a perfect figure of beauty, her dark hair stunning{3}, her face exquisite.

Lucifus dissembled “I heard you were in the vicinity when I arrived in Nethendawe and thought to reacquaint myself with your wonderful voice and form.”
She looked him over, immediately sensing his intentions with a smile. “Thank you for the compliment. However, you have a job for me, I can sense. What is it to be this time?”
“What is this? … I was trying to be cordial; I did not want this to appear as a summons. Perhaps in fact I merely wish to converse and exchange concepts with you?”

To this she laughed: a most delightful sound. “I think not somehow. You’re up to something.” She looked at him with inquisitive intensity, trying to further divest Lucifus of his motives. “If I was foolish, I might even go along with your plans whatever they may be. In fact out of caprice and sheer perversity I still might. Lucifus, what is on your mind? I have little time and numerous preparations to make if the truth be told.”
“Preparations? What do you intend?”
“A performance for this evening…here at the Turm as a matter of fact. There will be a number of people in attendance, perhaps you would also like to be present.”
Lucifus, somehow picking up on more than what was offered, “Whom in particular of those attending do you intend to beguile? I may be of assistance.”
Chess laughed once more, surprised at the wily warlock. “No, this is a most secret endeavour. The person involved does not have a clue and I would wish to keep it so. Your offerings would surely invoke suspicion.”

Lucifus sniffed, “quite so. However, I suppose there is a trifling I could get you to investigate if you can fit such probing into your busy schedule. [Lucifus looked sideways as he performed an incantation that would shield the exchange]. There is a group hereabouts who have murdered an acquaintance of mine: not that I was particularly fond of her; in fact she was decidedly repugnant in all aspects. Her one redeeming feature however was an article she possessed that may have since fallen into this group’s hands. It is an extremely powerful magical artifact titled a ‘Well of Many Worlds’. In actual fact, its properties go beyond that normally held possible. With study, I could divine these further properties and thus realise this item’s full potential. I need to know who possesses it as my own investigations and leads have led to nothing. I have a small ongoing project at the moment which may bare fruit but unfortunately nothing more.”

To this, Chess simply nodded. She looked around before asking, “For the normal fee?”
“And a little extra besides. This is in fact most important.” [Chess nodded her head once more] “Perhaps we could meet again after your performance and the dalliance you plan afterwards?”
“It would be late but I suppose such things don’t bother you. Are you staying anywhere in particular?”
“As a matter of fact no. Is there anywhere you can recommend?”
“Here at the Turm is convenient… as well as for other reasons.”
“Very well then, I shall procure my normal arrangements… and by the way, how is the wine range here?”
“Quite limited at the moment all things considered… why…?”
“Chess, it was very nice to make your acquaintance once more and I look forward to seeing you again soon. I am now about to create quite a scene so if you’ll excuse me…” And with this, Lucifus inclined his head to her before hovering over to the innkeeper behind the bar. Chess loved seeing Lucifus perform his mischief, and as she had guessed, what was to follow was to be quite spectacular.

***​

{1} Of note to those with an interest in the arcane, Lucifus has procured the spell commonly known as ‘Greater Mark of Air’ [From Monte’s Book of Eldritch Might 3.0]. He casts this at the sixth bell in the morning and night and thus maintains his flying ability – although normally he prefers to utilise the ‘good’ manoeuvrability provided to simply hover about with legs crossed.

The decision to go from 3.0 to 3.5 was pretty much universal from our group except for Dave who plays the stunningly chaotic Nemhan. The sorcerer was going to pretty much have his spell list torn apart and neutered with the change. As such Paul [Our DM] was excellent in allowing him to change his list around and keep his ‘Greater Mark of Air mark 3.0’ [a stunning piece of negotiation here from Dave as Paul is the ultimate stickler for the rules]. As such, Lucifus was also able to take advantage of Paul’s amazing concession.

{2} Chess was in fact a half-elf of noble birth, born on the other side of the sheets. Her elven father was never found and her mother would not perform or divulge an admission. After the pregnancy her mother was shipped off to a mental facility of Astell where eventually she became a novitiate of little consequence. Chess however was catered for elsewhere.

{3} Chess’ normal hair colouring was an extreme length of dusty blonde curls.

Last edited:

ledded

Herder of monkies
Very interesting, I appreciate the style you are going for (and achieving) here. Keep it up, I am eager to see how this works out, but kudos for what you have done so far.

On a side note/hijack, our group also stays away from the "Hi, I'm the new guy! Ok let's go!" routine. It seems that every time a new character joins one of our long standing parties, not only is there quite a bit of roleplay, suspicion, and give-and-take, but often downright hazing until they get used to the new guy. It's a weird dynamic that we've just fallen into, but it's worked out pretty fun.

{5} Djinn, Wine and You

To Boojum,

Thanks for reading my Story, I hope you're enjoying. It's amazing how just a simple post can lift the spirits and make the writing worthwhile.
Thank you again, look forward to reading more of yours.

To Ledded,

I'd noticed from other Story Hour posts that you are an avid reader. However and funnily enough, I thought that my work was not quite up to scratch as I had not received a response from you - :heh: or I suppose a lot of people for that matter. As such, your reply and compliments are most sincerely appreciated. As much as I try to write for myself, receiving feedback is still gold. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the twists and turns that are slowly getting revealed and unravelled.

As you say, when you have a very long-standing campaign, it deserves more thought and respect than to just throw in a character. Our group's would be very similar in this respect.

Thanks again.

***​

The day had been hectic for Merle, Innkeeper of Gumbil’s Turm in preparation for the evening’s entertainment. An influx of guests and unusual patrons had precipitated the need for a variety of activities, undertakings and exertions. A troupe of dwarven stonemasons fresh from Peronsil, a group of adventurers from Ormond, a rabble of men calling themselves philosophers, a small pilgrimage of the Doldasrin sect and a churlish group of young nobles had all decided upon Gumbil’s Turm for temporary accommodation. In addition, dozens of other guests including a recently arrived levitating wizard, a High Priest of Terrefin and a noble dressed as if he were the Emperor himself were invading the commons room. The stables once capable of catering for an entire cavalry regiment were beginning to fill as well in expectation of the evening performance of one of the most spectacular Bards ever to be seen in Nethendawe.

Chess’ performances were legendary; filled with pathos, tragedy and unexpected joy and triumph. To hear her voice in song or tale was to be loosed into a world of imagination and fantasy; where true and gallant heroes shielded the innocent, struck down the foe and rescued the damsel. Her talent was extraordinary. And also decidedly expensive, difficult to cater for and entirely too much trouble thought Merle at this particular juncture. Arguing with staff, placating disgruntled patrons and regulars, miscalculating stock requirements, taking delivery of unneeded items (the cooper had seen fit to deliver an order of barrels a week early) and generally encountering three problems for every one solved; Merle, his wife, his mistress and the dozen other staff who worked the Turm were spent. And the sun had still not set and the performance was at least five hours distant.

At this point the levitating wizard hovered towards the bar where Merle was chiding one of his serving wenches. Distracted by the wizard’s advance, he dismissed the serving girl with an impatient gesture as his bushy grey eyebrows took in the unusual image before him. Merle himself was a large man with a head of shoulder length hair that was once an ash blonde in his youth; it had since become an uncomfortable grey. An extravagantly full moustache combined with a middle age paunch lent some evidence that he spent the majority of his time behind an Inn’s bar{1}. Currently, Merle was not in the best of moods.

“What do you want?”
“I was seeking accommodation and in fact your best room for this evening.”
Merle just stared at the hovering little man. He almost laughed.
“In addition” Lucifus added, “I’ll be requiring suitable lodging for my staff{2} and concubines, preferably within the vicinity of my own apartment.”
Merle was gobsmacked.
As if sensing a slight reticence on the innkeeper’s part, Lucifus continued, “It will also be for an unfixed period. The duration of my business at the moment is indeterminate.”

Now Merle had dealt with strange and difficult requests before, but this floating magician was asking the near impossible. In addition, Merle had recently been mulcted by a mage much to his financial disadvantage. His response was curt.
“No.”
“No?
“No. I have neither the rooms nor currently the inclination. I suggest your going elsewhere.”
Lucifus cultivated his most ingenious look and unctuous tone, “I can make you rich. Very rich in fact. I am sure you are needing to counterbalance your costs for this evening.” [Lucifus could see he had the Innkeep’s attention now]. “I am certain we could reach an agreement to mutual satisfaction.”
By now, the exchange had garnered quite an audience.
Gruffly, Merle responded, “Exactly how much money are you saying? I can name quite a figure.”

Lucifus at this point started incanting a dweomer of his highest valance. He pointed to the ground just to the side of his own position and with a distinctive whoosh a massive human-like figure appeared. Ten foot tall with arms crossed, skin the colour of deepest ebony and its base replaced by a misty swirling vapour; the figure projected a most daunting appearance. Lucifus’s manner was nonchalant.

“My Djinni friend Mathuzalas may only maintain his presence upon the prime for a few moments. However, I believe he will be more than willing to assist in regards to your financial investments.” [Fear was most obviously evident upon Merle’s face. In fact the entire premises had completely stopped, every eye transfixed upon the appearance of the massive Djinni]. “I have heard that your range and selection of wine at the moment is somewhat limited. I also see that there are a number of fresh kegs carelessly placed at the rear behind you [Merle fearfully swung around, seeing the ten empty barrels]. They are empty I assume [Merle nodded timid assent]. In which case then I will now attempt to persuade Mathuzalas to his best efforts.”

Lucifus began instructing{3} the Djinni to perform a conjuration that would create a very sizeable amount of wine. The Djinii’s voice boomed as its arms swept in a circle, finishing the magic with a flourish and a single nod of its massive head: its black-haired topknot bobbled jauntily. The kegs settled heavily behind the bar, full to bursting.

“May I suggest you test the wine{4} good innkeeper? Mathuzalas like all masters of their craft appreciates considered feedback and critique.”
Merle looked around at the now completely full barrels of good red wine in somewhat of a daze. Lucifus seeing an appropriate receptacle hovered over and scooped a selection from a keg missing its lid. He handed it to Merle. Merle still in shock at the surreal events he had just witnessed took a moment before proffering a trembling hand. Lucifus nodded at Merle, the gesture reminding him to take a sip. The Djinni at this point bent forward, its gaze intensifying as it raised an eyebrow towards the now shaking innkeeper. Whether more of the liquid dribbled down his shuddering chins or throat was uncertain. A moment of silence ensued, the innkeeper too frightened to speak. Lucifus assisted, “I suppose it might be for the more advanced palate?”

Merle nervously nodded before finally finding his voice, his chins jiggling, “excellent… marvellous… outstanding in fact…” [Mathuzalas snapped his head towards Lucifus expecting the translation]. Lucifus spoke again in a language incomprehensible. The Djinni straightened like a peacock, a toothy grin splitting its enormous face. It was obviously quite proud.

“I thank you Mathuzalas for your fine efforts” Lucifus responded as the Djinni left the material with a small, vaporous and cyclonic whirl. The room had been stunned into absolute and complete astonishment. Everywhere, eyes looked upon Lucifus, amazed at the miracle{5} they had just witnessed. People were too scared to break the silence as they awaited the outcome of the exchange. With the exit of the genie, Merle’s disposition had returned only somewhat closer to his normal demeanour. He shifted around slowly and cast an evaluative eye at the barrels behind him. His gaze dulled ever so slightly as his brain attempted to perform calculations surpassing his ability. With his mouth somewhat agape, he faced Lucifus, “Can I take you to your rooms sir?”

***​

{1} Most Innkeepers in Nethendawe and indeed across Urth and many of the known Realms were normally identified by a lack of follicles upon their crown. While not bald, Merle at least got the fat part right.

{2} Lucifus had a variety of companions who he took with him when travelling from place to place.

Winter: His raven familiar for over twenty years. (Lucifus himself is thirty four years of age).
Tunthi: A Dermen, half-orc barbarian companion of Lucifus’s for almost two years.
Joald: The dwarven librarian of his enormous catalogue. (This is not his real name. He instead had styled the pseudonym after a myth involving a sea titan who reputedly pulled half a continent into the ocean. Lucifus thought the fanciful moniker ostentatious and gave the dwarf strange looks whenever he introduced himself.)
Melancthe: One of Lucifus’s concubines. Mysterious in appearance, she has an eccentric beauty that has appealed to Lucifus for nearly ten years. She has numerous and a wide variety of piercings from the tasteful to the truly disturbed. (I can remember in one missive I sent to Paul the DM, I described her as the ‘Classic wizard’s groupie’.)
Suldrun: Another of Lucifus’s concubines. She is also attractive but somewhat shy preferring solo encounters with Lucifus rather than some of the more unconventional groupings Lucifus enjoys.
Madouc: Another concubine with fiery red hair.
[As a side note, I could not help but name Lucifus’s companions after the primary female characters in Jack Vance’s Lyonesse Series. The more astute Vancian scholar will identify the capricious use of Joald too.]

{3} As an Alienist, Lucifus plumbs the far reaches of the planar cosmos when summoning various creatures into being. As such, their language use is very much different from their projected appearance.
[Paul the DM ruled that the only way Lucifus could talk to his summonings was through the use of a Tongues spell: something Lucifus had made permanent upon his person.]

{4} Djinn, Wine and You.
Djinn can cast Create Wine rather than the more typical Create Water. As 20th level casters, they not only conjure massive quantities of the stuff (40 Gallons) but due to a general policy of our group that the higher the caster, the better the effect, Mathuzalas is able to Create Wine of almost deific quality. Lucifus due to his selective use of this ability (he had only just discovered the trick) had thus gifted the Gumbil’s Turm with well over 10,000gp worth of wine.

{5} While magic is reasonably common in this world, higher-level accomplishments are extraordinarily rare. As such, Lucifus’s activity on this day was viewed as a modern day miracle. In fact, years from now, The Gumbil’s Turm would still be remembered as the only Inn in Nethendawe possessing wine crafted from a Djinni. Its notoriety increased manyfold.

Last edited:

A Perfect Performance

Later that evening...

***​

And so after earlier events, the atmosphere of Gumbil’s Turm livened up in expectation, rumour and excitement. The Turm had undergone numerous renovations across its vast history; expanding and contracting several times from its original design. Currently, it was split into several sections. The downstairs taproom or commons was the bar where refreshments, beverages and various libations were imbibed by the Turm’s diverse clientele. Immediately above this were a wide variety of rooms and apartments catering to a range of lodgers from the casual guest to the ensconced tenant. To the rear of these facilities were the massive stables once favoured by the Emperor’s best. In between the old stables and the opposing side of the actual bar was an area converted into a massive hall were ‘longtables’ ran the length of its span reaching to a small stage area set aside for performances such as this evenings. The roof ranged almost three stories above the floor lending the hall an open atmosphere that most of the local nobility looked upon with jealousy{1}. Normally, the Turm would play host to meetings of various groups and assemblies and thus its primary hall was used for such purposes. At this stage of the evening, most people had progressed from the taproom to the main hall’s vaunted interior, awaiting the feted performance of the bard Chess.

The floor of the hall was nearing capacity – all seats along the trenchers and longtables were filled with a variety of patrons swilling mugs of ale, horns of mead as well as goblets of an expensive new wine currently causing speculation and rumour. As the shoulder room decreased, several of the more agile spectators found elevated points on the walls where they could view{2} the Bard and her performance. At the moment, several halflings who had been part of the audience were creating their own mischief upon the stage much to the revelry of those in the hall. Where as the caper had started with the juggling of some impromptu skittles (empty ale flagons) between the five of them, it had since progressed into a full-scale acrobatic revue. They were currently trying to stand on top of each other as many halflings foot to shoulder as possible. Unfortunately due to alcohol and a lack of co-ordination, they were struggling to get more than two halflings high. Gambling ensued to raucous laughter and moaned chagrin as bets succeeded and failed. The outcry when four halflings maintained a balanced pose broke into laughter when it collapsed in a heap of arms, hairy feet and grimacing faces. Several arguments also broke out as to whether the arrangement had been established for the required duration. All in all, the atmosphere was most festive.

The appearance of a new person on stage had the halflings scattering to join a drunken sprawl to the side of the platform. Dressed in ridiculous pantaloons and a dreadful jarring of colours, the lute player started playing a few randomly selected chords whilst adding a stringy voice in chorus. The crowd quietened. At first there was the odd comment followed by a few hoots and jeers. As the musician continued uninhibited, the catcalls eventually dissolved into all out heckling and booing. A few objects were then thrown but it was only when an almost full clay pitcher made satisfactory impact with the lutist’s nose that the crowd’s criticism was heeded; his playing stopped and the crowd cheered all the harder. The crimson contents of the broken pitcher had splattered and soaked the man’s lemon; mauve and cyanic garments as he cried out in reproach. Several more items were cast his way before he ran from the stage, the crowd cheering his exit harder still. Lucifus’s entry into the hall and his floating ascent twenty feet above everyone else at the tables went largely unnoticed. Several servants cleared the stage.

There was further movement upon the stage as the lights around the hall were dimmed. The crowd went quiet once more before bursting out in rapturous applause, the sound drowning out all possible conversation. All eyes were staring directly at the newly arrived bard. The figure of Chess struck her signature pose, her hands delicately poised above her head, her face looking solemnly skyward her body slightly coiled around and legs demurely crossed, all showed her figure to extreme advantage. To say her outfit left nothing to the imagination would overdress her. Every inch of her statuesque body could be seen almost without hindrance. The taut layer of sky blue gauze that was her dress concealed nothing; it was only the slight flickering shadows that obscured her precise form. Her beautiful hair of faintest blonde, its extreme and gorgeous length enhanced by numerous delicate curls was gathered over her silken right shoulder before lightly tumbling behind her as her head lifted ever so slightly.

Her gaze continued skyward, her visage that of an angelic siren. As her body slowly turned to face the crowd (causing more ‘oohs’ and ‘ahs’ as her dress tightened further) the most divine tone could be heard, the note so virginally pure as to cause ones heartbeat to cease in anticipation. Her bluest eyes shined aloft as a tear graced her soft and pale cheek, the sonance speaking of heartache and loss as it resonated across the entire length of the now still hall. The audience was utterly spellbound; breaths held waiting for the note to finish its gradual descent. Her arms spread as she continued the vibrato revealing two elegantly graceful and perfectly poised breasts, each pushing against her costume in unison. The effect upon the spectators was immediate as the note changed into song, her solo voice in answer to the hush of the crowd. The performance continued.

The clear and exquisitely radiant features of Chess defined a range of emotions throughout the first half of the show. Lucifus looked on from above utterly impressed with her flawless performance and form. It had been almost a year since he had seen her perform and never to an audience as large or rapturously disposed as this. He looked around as they swayed and swooned, laughed and cheered, cried and wept. He did not wish to seek any magic used, wishing and holding to the purity of the performance. Any magic used to augment her display would have been superfluous anyway, her performance purest perfection to begin with. At the climactic closure of the first session and the beginning of an interlude, Lucifus felt a tingling of magic reach his senses. It was Chess’ frightened voice:

“He is not here and I’m wary that my plans have been discovered … I’ve seen several people I don’t like, Primmas Rose chief amongst them…
“However, the show must go on – meet me directly at the conclusion. Please!”

Lucifus instantly scanned the crowd using his most basic divinations. His features pulsed in anger as nothing was revealed leaving only his concerns. Primmas Rose was a name only quietly spoken by a few. He was a most deadly assassin from Peronsil. Someone obviously wanted Chess very dead.

***​

{1} Architecture and building had declined from its heyday several centuries earlier. Time and expense normally precluded the nobility from creating additional majestic feats of architecture to their demesnes. (Demar’s new facility was looked upon as a novel and major achievement – the fact that it’s walls were being magically created in the main was also a source of amazement and dare it be said envy.)

{2} Merle while proficient in the job of ordering his staff around was in the main an avaricious dullard totally lacking in imagination. A more resourceful yet equally avaricious person of business might have conceived of a dress circle in the main hall that could more easily divest one’s patrons of their finances. Merle being Merle however, no upstairs platform had yet been proposed or conceived.

ledded

Herder of monkies
Herremann the Wise said:
To Ledded,

I'd noticed from other Story Hour posts that you are an avid reader. However and funnily enough, I thought that my work was not quite up to scratch as I had not received a response from you - :heh: or I suppose a lot of people for that matter.
Oh, I *try* to give most every story hour at least a little read when it pops up, but unfortunately the people I work for actually expect me to *work* every now and then. The nerve of these guys. Anyway, I love reading short stories and story hours, and I'll even print a couple out if I'm going on a long weekend just to check out when I have time. I'm a voracious, and fast, reader. It also helps me keep my own writing honed, if you could call a superheroic-bowling ball "honed" :). But I do let some slip by without notice for extended periods of time sometimes, and I'll discover a really good one that has been staring me in the face without being read for months (recently tripped across The_Universe's story hour that way).

As such, your reply and compliments are most sincerely appreciated. As much as I try to write for myself, receiving feedback is still gold. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the twists and turns that are slowly getting revealed and unravelled.
Feedback is often the food that keeps non-paid writers writing. The more I get, the more I write, and I like to let people know what I think if they've done something that stirs a comment from me. So you're welcome.

Herremann the Wise said:
As you say, when you have a very long-standing campaign, it deserves more thought and respect than to just throw in a character. Our group's would be very similar in this respect.

Thanks again.
Oh, we do this even on one-shot campaigns where one player shows up just a couple hours late into the start. But we just seem to enjoy being a-holes to the new guy :D

Last edited:

Remove ads