• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"The Hart Bow" -- what series pilot was that from?

Axegrrl

First Post
This came up a couple of game nights ago, and I keep thinking about it...

There was a series pilot that ran as a 2-hour (or so) movie, sometime between 79 and 84. It was a fantasy story, with the hero traipsing all over the place looking for something. The hero ends up with this bow with a huge honkin' emerald set in the grip. Hero picks up bow, and gets an arrow-shaped scar burned into the shoulder. The bow had all sorts of special powers, though I'm not sure of what any of them were. I *think* the thing could shoot green lightning bolts.

(Reason I'm not sure of the bow's powers is because my ranger character got said bow about a month later, deep in the yuan-ti jungles. There was a module with a yuan-ti city/ruins that you had to clean out, and at the end of the adventure, there was the bow. My dm statted it out as an artifact, which had the green lightning action, plus the "magic arrows" a la D&D cartoon, plus a few other "minor" powers... with oddball "side benefits" like needing to eat 6x as much as normal and being insubstantial to metal.)

Anyhow.... anyone got a clue what series this movie was supposed to be the pilot for? The series never happened.

Steel_Wind

Legend
It was not a series, so much as it was stated to be one of a planned number of 6 made for TV movies in the fantasy genre on NBC I think, coming in on the tail of the Conan movies, the initial AD&D craze and Wizards and Warriors. ("Marco, my shield!").

I am not sure if Hawk the Slayer was also part of that misguided effort or not.

One of my players at the time had an uber_powered bow based on that ridiculously overpowerd thing. Years later, the character is still referred to as "The Hard-on Bowman".

Good times.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Hawk the Slayer might have been, cause the ending was a setup, for another story. But again, like you said, it might not have panned out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads