• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Haunted Ship

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
Well, I would like to bounce an idea off of you guys in reference to a Haunting. We're not talking about the 8th level Cleric walks in and casts Bless and it's game over, nothing so simple, but a real, tried and true haunting. Of a derelict Nautiloid...

Themes I am considering:

1. Unfinished Business - the Mind Flayer Captain's spirit has a mission, and by the Gods, he'll complete it, one way or another. Death is merely another challenge...

2. Baleful Spirit - Chorgi, the 1/2 Drow Elven Enchantress who died in the Lifejammer is pissed, and simply wants everyoen to suffer as she did, one my one placing a player character in the Lifejamming helm...

3. Random Encounter - The Alabaster Moon (the Nautiloid) came across a separate derelict ship, and took on an object which contained Ghost X - who promptly inhabited one crewman or another until they all went mad and killed one another...

Of the three above, which would you like to see? Do you have any input? In any case, it won't be a simple and a Turn Undead - game over type thing, there will be real hurtles involved with paying this spirit to rest.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I favor #1 - 'I will round the Cape if God Himself should bar the way!'

Van der Decken and De Vliegende Hollander is a favorite of mine.

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

Gilladian

Adventurer
#3 sounds too contrived. Also, what is the motivation of the ghost? Puts you right back to 1 or 2.

#2 is just shallow. so she wants to create pain and misery. Oh well. Kill her. Job done.

#1 has room for roleplay. Is his mission evil? Will more people be hurt if we stop him, or help him? Will he go away if he completes his mission, or will he then be a free-willed spirit? How do we know? Is he telling us the truth about his mission?

Remove ads