Pathfinder 1E The Haunting of Calithil Manor

ealt

Explorer
Beyond the Manor Gates, et al

Zinnelis ignites the oil stores as the party leaves through the manor's once-grand front doors. The fire spreads quickly, gluttonously engulfing tattered tapestries and worn floor runners. The party reaches the manor gates and slips under the gap in the fence with no trouble. By this time the manor is smoking heavily and flames are beginning to lick out from the lower windows. The party stands there briefly, watching the grand estate being consumed by the fire. For an instant a shadowy figure stands out against the bright flames, but it is gone just as quickly as it appeared. Some trick of the light, or something more? Satisfied that the manor is no longer a threat, the party heads back towards Bors and his cart.

Bors greets them with a relived look. "I was a tad scared when I saw that smoke start a'billowin' from over there, but I'm glad you're okay." He looks at the party before a look of surprise dawns his face. "Where's the master?" The party's silence speaks volumes. "I... Understand. I'd hoped... Well, anyway let's get back and you can tell the magistrate what happened." The party boards the cart and after an uneventful journey arrives back in Venza. Wasting no time, they arrive at the Includine Branch of the Magistrate's Office.

The party is quickly ushered into Magistrate Simon's office. While slightly tidier than before, there are still numerous tomes scattered about the place. Simon looks up from a large stack of documents. "Ah, back I see. Report." His tone is as businesslike and neutral as ever. He casually taps his fingers on his desk as he awaits the party's report.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
2qm1yle.jpg

Zinnelis Laediril, Elven Ranger (Level 3)
Calathil Manor
Evening
Round 0

Zinnelis rode back to the city in silence, contemplating what had occurred at the manor. He evaluated the battles, what they could have done better. When they stood before Simon in the magistrate’s office and he demanded a report, Zinnelis gave a wry smile.

“Just how many gruesome details do you want?” he asked. “We arrived at the manor to find the place...less than deserted,” he said. “Lord Vignar is dead and in a stewpot.” He pulled the signet ring out and put it on the desk in front of Simon. “The old master of the place had done some arcane trickery that I am sure Aelspeth and Theia can tell you more about, but he was keeping his ill wife alive on the brink of death or something. We eliminated the threats and set the place to the torch,” he told Simon. “That was my call, if anyone comes to complain. They will likely still have a significant expense properly cleansing the land. I figured the house was a total loss anyway.”

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
Free:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Zinnelis Laerdiril Mini Stats]Zinnelis Laerdiril
AC: 16/13/13 CMD: 18
HP: 23/29 NL: 1
Arrows Available: 53; Cold Iron 60 (0/0 arrows retrieved)

Spells Prepared
None

Game Notes:
GET FREAKING HOLY WATER!
[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Theia Merryweather, Black Mage
[section]

Theia matches the dry tone of the magistrate, sand pebble for pebble of sand. "There was quite powerful magic at work. An ingenious blend of necromantic and preservative arcana. The master reanimated his servants, of which we had to quell of course. And as our friend here mentioned, gleefully cooked up some Vignar stew. It appeared he was using the lady of the house's life-force to 'fuel' his grand designs. What else would you like to know?"

[/section]

[sblock=Actions]

Wonderful game Ealt! Thank you so much for running it!

[/sblock]

[sblock=MiniStats]Character Sheet

HP: 32/32 Nonlethal: 2
Conditions: None

Initiative: +7
Perception: +13

AC: 12 Flat: 10 Touch: 12
Fort: 4 Reflex: 4 Will: 7

Right hand: Wand of CLW
Left hand:

Dagger: Melee +0, 1d4-2, 19/x2, P
Crossbow: Ranged +4 1d8, 19/x2, P, 80 ft.
Ammo: 10/10 bolts remaining

Cantrips: unlimited/day
Dancing Lights "Scintillat"
Detect Magic "Exploro"
Guidance "Rectio"
Spark "Ignis"

Level 1: 5/day
Adhesive Spittle "Salivarius"
Charm Person "Paellicio"
Enlarge Person "Amplifico"
Obscuring Mist "Obscuro"
Summon Monster I "Invoco Primum"

Level 2: 4/day
Blindness/Deafness "Exoculo"
Glitterdust "Eluceo"
Summon Monster II "Invoco Secundum"
Web "Tela"

Level 3: 2/day
Lightning Bolt "Zibens"
Lightning Bolt "Zibens"

Hexes:
Charm
Evil Eye
Flight
Fortune (Used on: Leira)
Misfortune
Slumber
Tongues

[sblock=Adventure Notes]
Transactions:
Family Ring
3 Scrolls (Glitterdust, Reduce Person, Burning Hands)
Used: Old Law Whiskey
Used: 1 use of shaving kit

Game Info:
All undead information
[/sblock][/sblock]

MerryMortician

Explorer
Aelspeth Noromiel, Novice Conjurer

Aelspeth blushes when Zinnelis points the magistrate to her and Theia. She finds herself ashamed of her impotence at the manor, and unenthused by the notion of a detailed delivery. She clears her throat to create a moment longer to collect her thoughts but then Theia launches into her own account. The young elf woman clasps her hands in front of her waist and subtly shifts one booted foot closer to Darwin, seeking comfort in his presence on the floor beside her.

Theia finishes with a question to mirror the ranger's but there is no time for Simon to respond. Aelspeth barges into the conversation, blurting out, "Zinnelis made the right call, burning down the manor. That whole estate has devolved into a cesspool of necrotic energy and wicked taint. Besides, the library was burnt out already so there was truly nothing of value remaining!" As quickly as the wizard began, she quiets herself once more. The flush returns to her cheeks and creeps to the pointed tips of her ears.

[sblock=Aelspeth’s Mini Stats]Aelspeth Noromiel
HP: 23/23
AC: 13 (19) FF: 10 (16) T: 13 (15)
CMB: +1 CMD: 14
Fort: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +5
Special: Immune to magical sleep, +2 on saving throws against Enchantment
Perception: +2 S. Motive: +0
Initiative: +7
Conditions in Effect: +4 armor bonus (mage armor)
Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Shift: 10 ft, 7/7 remaining
0 Level: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand
1st Level: Grease, Unseen Servant, Protection from Evil, Protection from Evil, Color Spray
2nd Level: Glitterdust, Levitate, Levitate, Invisibility
Consumables: Wand of Mage Armor (-1 charge), Wand of Cure Light Wounds (-3 charges)[/sblock]

ealt

Explorer
Magistrate's Office - Includine Branch

Simon lifts the ring from his desk and looks at it as the party relays their story. "How unfortunate. Vignar's family will be less than pleased I'm sure." His tone suggests that Vignar's family might not mind his death quite so much as one would imagine. "I'll see that the family gets the ring back." He places the ring inside a lockbox on his desk. "In any case, you did the task I set you to. I had a payroll clerk draw the promised funds funds for you. Since there appear to be less of you than before, divide it as you will." Simon tosses a loosely tied coinpurse on the desk. A few platinum coins spill out, hinting at the purses contents. "You may go now. It seems I have a bit of paperwork to do now." He rummages through his desk obviously looking for some documents. "I'll keep you in mind for... future endeavors." He waves the party off with a dismissive hand, his attention now focused on another task.

[sblock=OOC]
Well that's a wrap everyone. Thanks so much for hanging in there through the crash and recovery. I hope you enjoyed playing it as much as I enjoyed writing it! In any case, I'll have gold and XP totals posted presently.

Aelspeth - 10810 XP/6240 GP
Theia - 11501 XP/6520 GP
Zinnelis - 4563 XP/3664 GP
[/sblock]

Last edited:

MerryMortician

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Thanks so much, ealt! I think you made all the encounters particularly interesting in one way or another. The groundskeeper stands out in my mind especially.

Question: Are the xp/gp figures above our new totals? Also what were the scrolls? I didn't really remember any looting.[/sblock]

ealt

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
The scrolls are for you to divide among yourselves as you want or sell them at the values I posted on the first post. The numbers for experience should be your new totals; however, they haven't been checked yet.
[/sblock]

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I can't cast any of those spells, so I'll bow out of them in favor of the magic users.

Catfight! :D

And thanks, ealt! Just shy of leveling up, though!

Remove ads