Pathfinder 1E The Haunting of Calithil Manor

ealt

Explorer
Theia Merryweather, Nihilist

Theia starts to wander back towards the fountain to see what she can see. "Here Jasper," the black mage whispers, "you take a peek too."

ealt

Explorer
Zinnelis Laediril

Zinnelis Laediril, Elven Ranger (Level 2)
Calathil Manor
Late Afternoon

Zinnelis walked over to the pile of bones and poked at it with his sword. He noticed the brass key and fishes it out of the tangle of vines and bones. “For the front door?” he wondered to the others.

Finding a spot in the garden, Zinn used his sword to dig a shallow hole to bury the bones. Then he started a slow circle through the gardens, looking for any footprints or traces of the missing man in the soil.

ealt

Explorer
Aelspeth Noromiel, Novice Conjurer

Aelspeth hisses through the pain and pulls a wand of her own from inside her bag. "Thanks," she grunts, "but I insist you use mine." She allows Leira to tend her wounds, internally thankful for the woman's gentle touch while bandaging the gash across her chest, and then leans heavily on her staff until Zinnellis applies the healing magics.

Once fully recovered from her most grievous wounds ever endured, Aelspeth appears shaken. Stupid girl! You could have died! She trembles ever so slightly and sits to drink from her canteen while the ranger plies his trade around the garden. After some slow pulls of water, she looks to Leira once more and promises, "I'll be certain to repay you at the first available opportunity."

ealt

Explorer
Intermission

The party explores the courtyard, paying particular attention to some tracks near the fountain.

ealt

Explorer
Zinnelis Laediril

Calathil Manor
Late Afternoon

Zinnelis found the footprints leading to the manor, a running man, apparently. Then Theia called him over to the fountain where another, different, print was pressed faintly into the soil, leading away from the manor.

Zinn crouched down, studying the footprint and looking for any others that matched it.

ealt

Explorer
Leira Olren, Master of Martial Arts

Leira nods at Aelspeth, "I agree the key seems the best option. If there are no objections, I'd like to enter first alongside Rak'tan or Zinnelis. If there is anything waiting inside to surprise us, I think it's a good idea they come for us first, while the rest of you stay behind us. Please don't think I think less of your skills. I admire them. Magic is incredible, and..." Leira looks down at the ground sadly "I wish I could use it, but as the monks said to me, I'm just not smart enough." She sighs deeply. "I was trained as a guard, and so protecting people is what I'm best at."

She adjusts her shield, and checks her bags and pouches to make sure everything is secure. She spins her whip blade in a rapid motion to make sure everything is in proper balance.

"I'm ready whenever the rest of you are."

ealt

Explorer

As Theia continues to scan for magic, she contemplates what is best for their next move. Before revealing if she found anything, she replies to Leira. "As unfortunate as it may sound coming from my mouth, I also greatly prefer you going in first, rather than me. In the end it matters not when or how death chooses its friends, but I suppose the illusion of self-preservation is a necessary mechanism in the present state of mind. And alas, I am quite useless in any physical manifestations of combat." She watches Zinnelis intently. "Perhaps let's see what our trusty bloodhound finds first."

ealt

Explorer
Within the Manor Garden

Theia's magical survey finds that the aura of magic within the garden has greatly diminished since the party defeated the groundskeeper's skeleton. Nevertheless, there is still a palpable aura of magic in the area that gives Theia chills. Zinnelis' keen eyes immediately recognize that the prints were made by different men at different times. The tracks he examined leading to the manor were made by a heavier man, his boots of durable and fine make, no more than two days ago. At Theia's call he examines the track she has found. Clearly fresher than the other print, it was made by a considerably lighter man in soft boots perhaps a few hours ago.

ealt

Explorer
Zinnelis Laediril

Calathil Manor
Late Afternoon

Zinnelis studied the tracks and then looked up at the others. “Heavier man, with good, sturdy, fine boots, going to the house, no more than two days old,” he said, indicating the first tracks he’d found. “A second man, lighter, soft boots, going away from the mansion within the last few hours.” He indicated the footprint by the fountain.”

Straightening up, the elf pulled out his bow again. Rak’tan was already up at the front door. “We going straight in?” he asked. “If so, Leira, open the door. Rak’tan, move inside quickly, followed by Leira, and I will cover you from a bit behind. Spellcasters behind me until we know the room is cleared and safe.” He pulled an arrow from the quiver on his back, nocked it, and took aim a the door. “Move quickly and quietly.”

ealt

Explorer

Theia dutifully reports her arcana findings. "This whole area is steeped in strong necromancy magic. Very strangely, its seems to be naturally occuring... I have yet to make complete sense of it."

"However, before we commit our felony, I posit the following. Could there be a chance these light prints belong to Bors the useless? Where did we leave him any way? Would it be worth it to check his boots first and get more of a story from him? Or shall we just go in?"

"As I don't have any leaning towards either path, I'll abstain from this vote, and will follow the herd nonetheless."

Remove ads