• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Heart of the Matter

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
From my blog.

Last night, on a whim, my girlfriend and a handful of guests picked up the Rules Cyclopedia and decided to play. We didn't really plan it; we were just hanging out and sipping beer, when one of the guests saw the book on my bookshelf and said "Cool, D&D! We should totally play!" And I thought, "Why not?"

Six hours later, the party of adventurers is returning from The Isle of Dread with the black pearl in hand. One of my guests looks up at the wall clock and exclaims "oh :):):):)! It's two o'clock in the morning!"

I haven't had that much fun at a gaming session since high school. We just sat down and played, with minimal preparation and no planning. Combat didn't drag. The story didn't get boring. Character creation took 30 minutes, for all four characters.

-----

It was an awesome gaming session. And it put a lot of things into perspective, with respect to the next edition of D&D. All of the petty arguments and nitpicking aside, at the very heart of it all, this is what I want to see in 5E:

I want character sheets so simple that they can be created from scratch on a spare sheet of graph paper, if necessary.

I want less math. When the players are fighting a sea serpent, I want them to be imagining the roar of the beast and the spray on their faces...I do not want them only half-listening to me, preoccupied with stacking mods.

I want the battle mat and minis to be completely optional, as in "not in the core rules at all, but in a completely different, optional book that is sold separately."

I want dice rolls to be few and important.

I want Save Throws to be rare and terrifying.

I want game mechanics to be simple and intuitive. If Hit Points can't be defined in ten words or less, take them back to the drawing board. See also: Armor Class, ability scores.

I want focused, distinct classes. I want Fighters to look, act, and play completely differently than Clerics, at every level. I think the "everyone is a spellcaster, just with different power sources" trend is very boring.

I want classic, high-fantasy races: humans, dwarves, elves, hobbits. I want everything else to be very easy to ignore.

-----

I guess that what I am really trying to say is that I would like to see a cleaned-up, efficient, flexible BECM. I want to put the d20 mechanics and my Rules Cyclopedia into the Horadric Cube, hit the "transmute" button, and get D&DNext.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. It's not like I am going to get angry or stop playing if I end up being disappointed. I've got my friends, my Rules Cyclopedia, my dice, and some graph paper, and that's plenty.

Agamon

Adventurer
I pulled my RC off the shelf last week, too. For years I thought longing for the old days was just nostalgia. I'm not so sure about that anymore. I think the way they are building DDN is a good thing.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I like BECMI, I really do. More than once here I have suggested that it is the nearest to the core D&D experience, and should thus be the basis moving forward. But being nearest is not the same as "dead center".

So what I'd like is something that can replicate BECMI. And then when I want wizards with swords or halfling druids or a different magic system or no alignments or more things for fighters to do or a 1000 other such things, I don't have to pull out tiny threads and assumptions to get what I want.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
I don't want the RULES CYCLOPEDIA, I want a more AD&D like experience. With that said, I had nearly the same experience that you did with my now ongoing Friday nights game, except it was initiated by someone seeing my shelf of AD&D books.

Fight on!

Li Shenron

Legend
Character creation took 30 minutes, for all four characters.

That's IMXP more or less what takes a moderately experienced group to make mid-level characters (e.g. 10-12th level) in 3ed, provided they don't start browsing non-core books or planning new concepts... but I think we're talking here about casual, one-night games where the PCs do not need to be particularly original and expecially you don't need to plan their advancement ahead.

I would probably like to reduce that minimum time even further... Maybe 10 minutes for the same characters, and 30 minutes for very high level PCs or for mid level but for near-beginner players.

But overall, it's the time wasted during running the game that worries me most ;)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
But overall, it's the time wasted during running the game that worries me most ;)
Agreed. I had forgotten how quickly an encounter can be resolved in BECM. From rolling initiative to dishing out XP, a 4-on-4 encounter with a band of pirates took all of 7 minutes (I watched the clock.) A similar encounter would have taken half an hour under 3.5E...four times as long.

Simplified rules = faster combat = more combat = more excitement.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Agreed. I had forgotten how quickly an encounter can be resolved in BECM. From rolling initiative to dishing out XP, a 4-on-4 encounter with a band of pirates took all of 7 minutes (I watched the clock.) A similar encounter would have taken half an hour under 3.5E...four times as long.

Simplified rules = faster combat = more combat = more excitement.

I'm inclined to wonder if inflated hit point totals would have something to do with that 7-minute comparison (yes, I know those charts don't list the hit points for BECMI/RC characters or 3.5E characters, but I think the point is still a noteworthy one).

whydirt

First Post
I don't want the RULES CYCLOPEDIA, I want a more AD&D like experience. With that said, I had nearly the same experience that you did with my now ongoing Friday nights game, except it was initiated by someone seeing my shelf of AD&D books.

Fight on!

What does that mean, exactly? The main differences between the two seem to be race-as-class and lots of exception-based fiddly tables.

Remove ads