• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Heretic of Wyre - Part II

Jeremy

Explorer
Sepulchrave II said:

Soon

Piratecat: Feel free to trim away.

- And thank-you, everyone. From my heart.

No. Thank you. For all the dedication, skill, panache, and most of all hard work.

And let me second the "YAY!". :)

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Re: Re: Word .doc comparisions?

Avarice said:

Nope, I'm afraid you've got me there, grodog. I've only included the updates themselves, in order to keep the page count down. Even so, its up around 150 pages. I've been thinking about going back through and accumulating all of the clarifications in a separate doc; a task for another day, I guess.

I have a Word doc that includes OOG comments made by Sep. I'll be happy to email it to anyone who emails me at the address in my profile. I make no claim to having cleaned it up much; cut-n-paste only. (I have a folder at my work computer marked "Story Hours" for docs of the story hours of PC, Sagiro, Wulf, Kid Charlamagne, and Sepulgrave. :) )

Responding to another comment above, I don't think it's a matter of 'maturity'; rather, Sep has a small group of four players to game with and construct the story around, while PC has a large cast of about a dozen characters (in various states of regular play) that are part of his story. The difference of scale has an impact on the style of story that is related to us on the boards. With PC, we can enjoy what each person is doing, why they're doing it, and follow the story from their POV. Sep can use the 'extra' space left by having a minimum group, and fill it with different POVs (as we've seen at several points) and more exposition/description in a novelic style. (Is novelic a word? Get me my OED!)

Axeboy

First Post
Yeah

Eridanis said:
Responding to another comment above, I don't think it's a matter of 'maturity'; rather, Sep has a small group of four players to game with and construct the story around, while PC has a large cast of about a dozen characters (in various states of regular play) that are part of his story. The difference of scale has an impact on the style of story that is related to us on the boards. With PC, we can enjoy what each person is doing, why they're doing it, and follow the story from their POV. Sep can use the 'extra' space left by having a minimum group, and fill it with different POVs (as we've seen at several points) and more exposition/description in a novelic style. (Is novelic a word? Get me my OED!)

Yeah, 'maturity' isn't quite the correct word for what I meant, but I find that my vocabulary is frequently lacking the correct words; I think I used the 'mature' because Sagiro used 'adolescent'. Perhaps '...for his more philosophical players...' is a better way to convey the meaning than '...for his more mature players...'.

You're certainly right, though, about the size of the group having an influence on the style of play. I hadn't thought of that.

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Re: Yeah

Axeboy said:

Yeah, 'maturity' isn't quite the correct word for what I meant, but I find that my vocabulary is frequently lacking the correct words; I think I used the 'mature' because Sagiro used 'adolescent'. Perhaps '...for his more philosophical players...' is a better way to convey the meaning than '...for his more mature players...'.

You're certainly right, though, about the size of the group having an influence on the style of play. I hadn't thought of that.

I absolutely don't want this thread to get derailed into a discussion about my story hour, but I'll say one last thing as a point of clarification: I used "adolescent" to describe my own comparative writing skills, not to describe my campaign or my players (who are both mature and philosophical) in any way.

It's hard to gauge how "good" (whatever that means) a D&D game is from its Story Hour. I wasn't trying to measure the quality of Sep's campaign, really, though the evidence is that it's amazing. I was commenting on his ability to write compelling dialogue and narrative, to make his characters live and breathe on the page, to make me want to keep reading at 2:00 AM, long after I should have gone to bed.

-Sagiro

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads