• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The highest-damage fighter power is level 3?!

pinbot

First Post
Obviously, since many are confused by this...it must be confusing.

But I have a lot of trouble reading it to mean anything other than 2 attacks against one target, and if you have the correct weapon you get a secondary attack (3rd dice roll) which may be against the same or different target.

IanB

First Post
As worded, it is 2 attacks vs. one target, then if you have the right weapon, you get one secondary attack vs. anyone.

Seems acceptable to me. The lack of secondary effects with the hits mean that the power will likely get swapped even though it is pretty good damage. It isn't like you're going to be in striker territory with this.

GorTeX

First Post
minor, off topic note: Weapon Focus would give you +3 damage at level 30. (heroic tier +1, Paragon Tier +2, epic Tier +3)

On topic. I agree that it should be read as
2 attacks vs one target, with a third attack if you using the specified weapon (so either 2 or 3 attacks total)

Storm-Bringer

First Post
Uhhh... Rain of Blows allows three attacks, at most?

Shouldn't that be Drizzle of Blows? Light Shower of Blows? Possibly Sprinkle of Blows?

Talk about overblown naming conventions. I thought console games were bad in describing three points over your basic attack as 'devastating' (Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu, I am looking your way).

Shabe

First Post
Its pretty good but you wouldn't want to fight [sblock]the tarrasque or orcus (because of resist all)[/sblock] with that power, the fighters lvl 29 Daily, No Mercy, with a Vorpal Falchion and Gauntlets of Destruction is probably more the way forward. 14d4 reroll all 1s and a result of 4 means roll another dice, its a dice rollers dream.

Zurai

First Post
Storm-Bringer said:
Uhhh... Rain of Blows allows three attacks, at most?

Shouldn't that be Drizzle of Blows? Light Shower of Blows? Possibly Sprinkle of Blows?

Talk about overblown naming conventions. I thought console games were bad in describing three points over your basic attack as 'devastating' (Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu, I am looking your way).
Considering only one or two powers allow for more than 3 attacks against a single target and most only allow one, I think the name is fine.

kerbarian

Explorer
If the secondary attack is supposed to be indented under Hit, that means you get a secondary attack each time you hit, for an average of three attacks if you hit half the time.

If the secondary attack is supposed to be independent of whether you hit, then you always get exactly one secondary attack, again for three total attacks.

Either way, the math in the original post stands. And actually, as GorTeX mentioned, weapon focus would give +3 at epic, skewing things even further in favor of Rain of Blows.

Zurai

First Post
kerbarian said:
If the secondary attack is supposed to be indented under Hit, that means you get a secondary attack each time you hit, for an average of three attacks if you hit half the time.
Can you please cite a rule that supports this statement?

Alvoros

First Post
I don't see where the ability grants you anything but two attacks...one against the primary target, and a 2nd attack against either the primary or secondary target.

It specifically states you get to make a "secondary" attack, with the "Secondary Target" being the same or different target.

Sounds like you get two attacks in TOTAL to me with the option to split them against two opponents.

Edit: *light bulb goes off* See the 4 attack possibility now.

Last edited:

Storm-Bringer

First Post
Zurai said:
Considering only one or two powers allow for more than 3 attacks against a single target and most only allow one, I think the name is fine.
Because it only rains two or three times a year in the desert, claiming a drizzle is a 'hurricane' is reasonable?

Come on, new players are going to read 'Rain of Blows' and see their fighter landing hits all over the place like Luke Skywalker right before he cut Darth Vader's hand off. When they realize they can get, at most, three hits out of it, they will have the same puzzled look on their faces.

Last edited:

Remove ads