• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The highest-damage fighter power is level 3?!

I don't suppose anyone has sent in an email to CustServ to see what a rep has to say? Forgive my ignorance if Ari Marmell is in such a position to make such decisions. Ari's reply left me believing this was not true because Ari basically said so in one of the replies.

LightPhoenix

First Post
OakwoodDM said:
So the two are reversed except in the case of a fourth possible attack. Besides, by RAW, a level 30 character replaced Rain of Blows quite some time ago.

According to the RAW (PHB p. 27-28 under "Powers"), a character has the option of taking a power of lower level.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Again, I think the term "Secondary Attack" is the correct terminology, but somewhat misleading in this case. The "Primary" attack is indicated by the Attack line, which is "Str vs. AC, two attacks." Even though it's two attacks, that's the primary function of the power. The "Secondary" attack is the third attack given by wielding the specified weapon and having a 15 Dex.

NorthSaber

First Post
A tough one!

The indentation would seem to imply that you get a secondary follow-up attack for each primary attack that hits, but I can't find anything in the rules that support this. I would say RAW mean you get two primary attacks and one tertiary attack, regardless of whether the primary attacks hit.

hamishspence

Adventurer
not very clear

Sometimes the weapon kyword is listed before Hit. Here it is lested after, and indented. Do any other powers have a Weapon keyword that kicks in only on a scored hit?

Kaffis

First Post
No matter how you read it, the power needs errata, because there's a typo somewhere.

For instance: if non-spears get 2 attacks (per the attack line), only one of them does damage. Why? Because it doesn't say 1[W]+Str per attack, a standard clearly set forth by pretty much every ranger power in existence. So by RAW, you get two attacks to try to hit (and earn the secondary attack), but only do 1 strike's worth of damage regardless of whether one or both of the primary attacks hit.

;)

Let's just sit this one out and demand errata (or at least a Wizards rep post), because the power's intent can't be divined by the butchered typoing. I'll be eminently surprised if the official fix allows 4 [W]+Stat hits, though.

pemerton

Legend
hamishspence said:
Sometimes the weapon kyword is listed before Hit. Here it is lested after, and indented. Do any other powers have a Weapon keyword that kicks in only on a scored hit?
Yes, Dance of Steel at the same level. For a discussion of the interpretation of such powers, see this thread.

Kaffis said:
For instance: if non-spears get 2 attacks (per the attack line), only one of them does damage. Why? Because it doesn't say 1[W]+Str per attack, a standard clearly set forth by pretty much every ranger power in existence.
I don't think that this argument is sound. Compare the Fighter power "Storm of Destruction", for example, which targets one or two creatures, allows one attack per target, but simply states its damage as "5w + STR". I don't think that there is much doubt that this is to be read as "5w + STR per attack that hits".

Dragon's Fangs at Lvl 15 has very similar wording also.

Kaffis

First Post
Pemerton, I wasn't seriously contending that the argument was sound. It would be pretty assinine to make a power like that. But I think it *is* indicative of a typo there somewhere. That there are other fighter powers with similar typoes doesn't refute that.

Makaze

First Post
That there are other fighter powers with similar typos doesn't refute that.
I'm not sure they're typos per se. But rather the powers seem to have been written by several different people with no adherence to a central standard. Likely because there wasn't one.

Remove ads