• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Hundred Seas

GreyOne

Explorer
"Be careful lads...something's very wrong, very wrong indeed..." whispers Nado loudly.

The four of you progress further into the bounds of the courtyard. The place certainly has no air of sanctity. Indeed, it feels corrupted, a feeling perceptible in the air around you.

(I) Ulfghar:

You advance into the courtyard proper, your form dark and intangible as if it is a shadow bleeding into other shadows. The firepit lies before you, underneath the tree. The branches rustle quietly in the breeze, the skulls bobbing like blanched apples. Bad things lad. Bad things have happened here. The distinctive voice echoes in your mind. Below you gaze into the pit. It has not been used in a long while, its contents old leaves and muddied ash.

(II) Fintain, Bragon and Nado:

The arcade ahead ends in a wall beneath which are the tattered remnants of gain-rotted sacks and empty clay jars. The arcade continues to the left, across again to the far side, where it ends and turns left again. You look to the side into the courtyad proper, watching for Ulfghar, but his spellcraft has taken hold and you see only shadow. This place has known fear. Fear and death. It slides down your spine like ice.

Ulfghar

First Post
(I) Ulfghar moves away from the tree, keeping to the shadows and remaining silent so as not to draw any attention. He stays about 30' away from the party, on guard for anything threatening.

GreyOne

Explorer
(OOC: Bragon if you can't post, then email a moderator)

Nothing moves but by the wind, the beech tree rustling and swaying. Two skulls crack together lightly in the branches, but their sound echoes about the courtyard. The early evening stars glimmer in the night sky.

(I) Ulfghar

You look about, all senses straining. The world around appears strange, almost misty as you move within the shadows. You see Bragon and Nado moving carefully forward around the far corner (southwest) of the courtyard, their lantern flashing its light forward along the wooden outer walls of the shrine. Shadows dance and stretch along the length of its golden arc. Fintain has disappeared from view.

(Please make a Fear Check (DC 12 vs Willpower mod) and roll for initiative.)

(II) Nado and Bragon

Nado on the left and Bragon on the right, you tentatively move forward, the arc of your lantern lances ahead filling the walkway to your left with light. Shadows play across its length and stretch onwards, further down the passageway. You find that fear is gliding down your spine, almost palpable, almost present before you.

(Please make a Fear Check (DC 12 vs Willpower mod) and roll for initiative.)

(III) Fintain

Hanging back along the southern half wall of the walkway, you glance about nervously. Ulfghar has vanished into the courtyard. Nado and Bragon have moved down the passageway, and have turned the corner. Something approaches. Something terrible. You feel it in your bones...

(Please make a Fear check (DC 12 vs Willpower mod) and roll for initiative)

Last edited:

GreyOne

Explorer
(Post-5th game session, after the destruction of the undead abomination and the discovery of a trove beneath the feet of the Traveler)

--From the Traveling Journal of Nado the Estimable

"This holy place had the unmistakable stink of death. We moved through it slowly and hesitatingly. Fintain, as was his wont, took to the rear, hiding in the shadows. Ulfghar, cloaked in a spell moved through the courtyard proper, (the young lad has an air of calm reassurance). I moved through the walkway with Bragon at my side.

'Twas at this point that the corrupting force that had assailed the House of the Traveler made its presence known. It's undead eyes cutting through Ulfghar's spellcraft easily enough, it pounced on him from above, slamming dusty fists into his frame. He counterattacked and at this point we bravely entered the fray. I have felt horror in my time and have stood against the risen dead before, but the horror of that reality has never passed from memory.

Luckily enough our skill and bravery brought us victory and the abomination was defeated, disappearing like shadow and sand into the very earth beneath our feet. Soon after we unleashed a spirit bound within the walls of the shrine and did learn the house's curse..."

GreyOne

Explorer
You stand again in the courtyard, the words of the disappearing spirit fresh in your minds:

“I am Bogren and ‘twas my duty to maintain this shrine. But I was slain and I have failed. The corruption must be burned away for the land to be made clean. Darkness has festered too long under the Traveler’s Tree. The shrine must be destroyed. It is Wergand’s wish. Beneath the Lord’s boot. That is the only way.”

Your attempts to torch the shrine with oil and fire have come to naught. The shrine remains resolutely unburned. The items taken from beneath the foot of the Traveler. Perhaps they hold the key?

"We must not fail in the spirit's request, my friends. In my lands, the Traveler is most holy," says Nado, sighing deeply.

(OOC: The items again: 17 assorted pieces of lapis lazuli, azurite and moss agate, a single polished tourmaline, a golden bowl decorated with carvings of horses and a two-ended shalm (flute). There is also a Breaking Tablet wrapped in rotted wool.)

Last edited:

Ulfghar

First Post
"It seems that the destruction of this temple will take more than just conventional means" states Ulfghar

"Perhaps the magic contained in the breaking tablet is what we need"

"Bragon, Fintain, Nado, what are your feelings on this?"

Remove ads