• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Imperial Age Design Change

Walt C

Explorer
Hey all,

The Imperial Age OGL RPG has been cancelled. We’ve decided instead to develop an Imperial Age product based on the True20 system.

This was not an easy decision. Over the last several months we’d spent a lot of time and energy getting the Imperial Age ready as an OGL standalone. Our initial decision to release a standalone edition was borne from the fact that, for all intents and purposes, d20 Modern was a dead line. If the Imperial Age was going to thrive moving forward, it needed a strong foundation. We wanted it to be the best that it could be, and we scoured OGL products for the best ideas that we could incorporate.

Throughout this process, we hit a number of roadblocks. We considered consolidating skills, trimming basic classes, eliminating cross-class skills, fixing feats, turning some advanced classes into feat trees, replacing psionics, speeding up combats and NPC creation. By the time we’d completed all of that, we discovered something interesting.

The IA OGL was starting to look a lot like True20.

Not exactly, but there were enough similarities that we felt like we were re-inventing the wheel. Not only that, but True20 is still in print and has continuing support. Furthermore, using True20 allows us to start from the ground up, rewriting material so that IA is a cohesive whole rather than a collection of previous products stitched together.

After careful consideration, we decided to switch gears and move ahead with a True20 version. We feel that this will be the best version of the Imperial Age yet!

For those of you disappointed in the cancellation of the OGL version, I have some good news for you; the entirety of the original Imperial Age product line will be collected and available as a print on demand omnibus!

We thank you all for your support over the years and hope that you’ll join us for further adventures in the Imperial Age!

Walt Ciechanowski
Imperial Age Line Developer
Adamant Entertainment

Voadam

Legend
What about future IA products? I've got about 7/8 of the current IA line and I play 3.5. I find d20 Modern products much more to my liking then T20 ones. I can use a lot without doing significant conversions for d20 modern while the damage save stat must be converted to use T20.

Walt C

Explorer
What about future IA products? I've got about 7/8 of the current IA line and I play 3.5. I find d20 Modern products much more to my liking then T20 ones. I can use a lot without doing significant conversions for d20 modern while the damage save stat must be converted to use T20.

My goal for 2009, after producing the True20 corebook, is to concentrate on sourcebooks (such as the long-awaited Africa) and adventures.

If there's a demand for d20 conversions, we'll likely do them, but in most cases you can eyeball it (heck, I play True20, 3.5, and Pathfinder...I pretty much use Spot, Notice, and Perception interchangeably these days; for the most part DCs/Difficulties are the same).

Walt

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I've been an Imperial Age subscriber and fan from day one, and I have to say this is a very welcome change. I'm finding myself turning to True20 for my games more and more, and look forward to the conversion!

Now all I need is True20 Thrilling Tales and I'll be a happy camper. :)

Duskblade

Banned
Banned
Extremely Disappointed

I have no True20 books and have no desire to buy them. We only play D&D and D20 Modern.

Add me to the list of one more that won't be buying the hardback now.

Sen Udo-Mal

First Post
another happy person

Well add me to the list who will be picking this up... I have moved past D20 Modern, as no one I know is interested in playing it anymore. I like True20 well enough and would be happy to support it (NOTE that T20 is Traveller D20, which I think is also now defunked).

Aus_Snow

First Post
True20 is a vastly superior system in so many ways, I don't think a single post here could handle all that data. :cool:

Anyway, regardless, I think it's also a smart choice. If I was publishing something for d20 Modern or True20 in these times, it would be the latter - if not at first, then ASAP.

I only bought a couple of the PDFs, and - despite the system used at the time - they're very good, IMO. So yeah, I'll probably get the complete PoD book. *Er, except that's the d20 Modern version. Misread something there. . . Oh well, if a PoD book of the True20 supps is out some time, I'll get that. :)

Last edited:

Walt C

Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback! We really do appreciate it.

For those of you lamenting the change in plans, the print version of the collected pdfs should be available this week.

Also, at least for the next few releases, we will be providing conversions for those preferring the old system.

That said I've been pleasantly surprised at how well True20 works for the Imperial Age and we're working hard to get the True20 version out ASAP.

Thank you for all of your support!

Walt Ciechanowski
Imperial Age Line Developer
Adamant Entertainment

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads