• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Imperial Age Design

Walt C

Explorer
As you may have heard, The Imperial Age is getting the standalone OGL treatment for December. We're currently editing it all together now.

The Imperial Age RPG will be a combination of the Modern SRD and The Imperial Age product line. The book will contain all of the IA products to date with the exception of British India (I can't justify putting that in the book without Africa and the Far East) and Hell Hath No Fury. In addition, we're adding some Open Game Content from other sources as well as some new material.

That said I'm considering a few things and would like your input. Here are my questions:

1. There's been a trend in OGL games to condense the skill list a bit. Would you prefer to see similar skills folded together, or keep the Modern "classic list?" (obviously, certain skills, like Computer Use, will be left out regardless).

2. OGL characters have lots of feats, talents, and class features, but no flaws other than the potential of low ability scores. Would you like to see a Drawback/Flaw system?

3. Are there any advanced classes that you'd like to see? I've added a few, but I'd like to know what you felt was missing from your OGL games.

4. Is there anything else that you have a burning desire to see?

5. Is there anything I should leave out?

Thanks for your input!

Walt Ciechanowski
Imperial Age Line Developer
Adamant Entertainment

Inferno!

Explorer
Hi Walt

I already have most of the IA releases, but look forward to a complete stand alone treatment. I'd really like a Savage Worlds treatment like Thrilling Tales is getting, but failing that, my opinion on your questions is
  1. Yes, I would like a condensed skill list
  2. Flaws/drawbacks isn't high on my wish list, but could be interesting
  3. At the moment, I can't think of any advanced classes to add
  4. What I have a burning desire to see isn't appropriate for a core book, but I'd like to see optional material to help simulate Space 1889.

Just my $0.02, since you asked:)

Voadam

Legend
As you may have heard, The Imperial Age is getting the standalone OGL treatment for December. We're currently editing it all together now.

The Imperial Age RPG will be a combination of the Modern SRD and The Imperial Age product line. The book will contain all of the IA products to date with the exception of British India (I can't justify putting that in the book without Africa and the Far East) and Hell Hath No Fury. In addition, we're adding some Open Game Content from other sources as well as some new material.

That said I'm considering a few things and would like your input. Here are my questions:

1. There's been a trend in OGL games to condense the skill list a bit. Would you prefer to see similar skills folded together, or keep the Modern "classic list?" (obviously, certain skills, like Computer Use, will be left out regardless).

2. OGL characters have lots of feats, talents, and class features, but no flaws other than the potential of low ability scores. Would you like to see a Drawback/Flaw system?

3. Are there any advanced classes that you'd like to see? I've added a few, but I'd like to know what you felt was missing from your OGL games.

4. Is there anything else that you have a burning desire to see?

5. Is there anything I should leave out?

Thanks for your input!

Walt Ciechanowski
Imperial Age Line Developer
Adamant Entertainment

I have most of the line as well but I am not currently playing in the setting.

1 No preference. There is a value to compatibility with the OGL standards for mixing in stuff from Etherscope, Forbidden Kingdoms, d20 Adventure!, Masque of the Red Death, or d20 Past, but I also feel a lot of consolidation for perception and stealth type skills is a good idea. Either way I consider it easy to change and tailor to taste so not a big deal.

2 If you do I'd go with the system in Adamant's d20 Master line product on Drawbacks where they give you 4 extra skill points instead of a feat. I much prefer this version of character reward instead of a feat.

Most drawbacks are roleplay oriented or are mechanical impacts that can be worked around by character concept and focus (e.g. weaker melee abilities for archer or caster type characters). Feats are generally power abilities while skills are more designed towards character background competency rather than straight combat power.

3 no

4 no

5 no

malladin

Explorer
Hi Walt

Looking forward to this. I'd definately compress some skills, its something we've felt a necessity for Etherscope and got ready for our next product. Flaws could be interesting, we found virtues/vices worked well for D20. I'd also like to see something for scientific romance, mostly because Etherscope doesn't do it, I've no excuse to write it and I know you'd do a bang up job. Good luck with this, look forward to seeing the final product.

Nigel

Michael Dean

Explorer
Great news! I'm glad I held off buying the pdfs until they were bundled, but a book is even better. Is the London supplement going to be added too? If not, I'll go ahead and buy London and India from rpgnow.

Also, when you say you didn't want to include India because it wouldn't be right without including Africa and the Far East, does that mean you're planning pdfs of those too? Because that would be beyond awesome.

Walt C

Explorer
Thanks for all of the responses!

In no particular order:

1. Currently, we plan to include London. It all depends on what our final page count looks like.

2. If we do a drawbacks/flaws system, it will be based on the Character Drawbacks product (assuming I can get the guy that wrote it on board ;-) ).

3. If we condense skills, it will be designed for easy reverse-engineering (the big three would be Acrobatics (balance/tumble), Perception (listen/spot), and Stealth (hide/move silently)).

Walt

P.S. I should note that we've been considering abandoning the current cross-class skill system and either go with the Pathfinder (+3) system or one that I've seen here on the boards, where cross-class rank limits remain but the cost per rank is the same for class skills.

One interesting benefit of the +3 system is that you can get into any advanced class at the same time, no matter what selection of basic classes you take.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads