The Infamous Doublebear

Oofta

Legend
Never heard of such a thing. But the name was too cool not to have it, so I made one up instead.

I'm torn. On the one hand, it's kind of an awesome "WTF is this!" monster which can be fun now and then. Good job. But it is kind of goofy. Not duckbunny goofy, but still.

Of course I guess I accept ettins or floating beachballs that disintegrate you by looking at you so maybe I will file it for some future campaign. Two-head (or more) on dogs are quite common, I guess Cerberus had to come from somewhere.

Dausuul

Legend
I'm torn. On the one hand, it's kind of an awesome "WTF is this!" monster which can be fun now and then. Good job. But it is kind of goofy. Not duckbunny goofy, but still.

Of course I guess I accept ettins or floating beachballs that disintegrate you by looking at you so maybe I will file it for some future campaign. Two-head (or more) on dogs are quite common, I guess Cerberus had to come from somewhere.

There's a time to design serious monsters with deep roots in mythology that contribute to the atmosphere of a dark and gritty campaign world.

And then there's a time when you're designing a monster called a "double bear."

Oofta

Legend
There's a time to design serious monsters with deep roots in mythology that contribute to the atmosphere of a dark and gritty campaign world.

And then there's a time when you're designing a monster called a "double bear."

Well, the owl bear was based on a weird toy made in Hong Kong [1]. Iconic monsters all start somewhere. Beholders? I always assumed Mr Kuntz (who created it) was just partaking of something. It was the 70s after all.

I guess you could just say that I'm of two minds about it.

the Jester

Legend
I know of the gorilla bear, from the 1e Fiend Folio, and the owlbear, and the dire bear (from the 3e Monster Manual), but have never heard of the double bear. My D&D lore is pretty deep, too. But that's not to say that it doesn't exist somewhere! -perhaps in an old White Dwarf or Dragon Magazine, or some third party or homebrewed material.

solamon77

Explorer
I know of the gorilla bear, from the 1e Fiend Folio, and the owlbear, and the dire bear (from the 3e Monster Manual), but have never heard of the double bear. My D&D lore is pretty deep, too. But that's not to say that it doesn't exist somewhere! -perhaps in an old White Dwarf or Dragon Magazine, or some third party or homebrewed material.
Maybe I just dreamed it up, but I swear I remember me and my friends making fun of it back when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s.

Well if there isn't an official doublebear, I will create one! After I get home from work tonight I'll write up a stat block and post it.

Satyrn

First Post
Does anyone remember what monster book had the double bear in it? I'm pretty sure it was one of the AD&D 2e Monster Compendiums, but it might be 1e.

You should ask these guys

final_bear_hello-300x300.png

Remove ads