• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Jester's Deck

The Edge

First Post
The Jester’s Deck

“Do not try to play games with these cards, for they play games with you.”
“Go on, pick a card, any card”​

Basicly this is an alternate lesser version of the deck of many things, which although can be used well in a campain, thats not very often done and we all know its tendencies to end them instead. I decided to give it a go while reading the recent thread on the genral forum. I know its not the first, but I thought 'what the heck' and started writeing this lot in no particular order.

Ive so far tried to make them useable in mostly any campain without too much chance of breaking anything. The effects are less spectactular, no instant death, no castles apearing out of nowhere etc. some more or less than others.

Ive given each a bit of text which would show on the card in smokey handwriting when it is drawn. Many are rather vague as they're just drafts at the moment and most of the desription is in my head. just ask. Sorry about the long confuseing list. This is what ive come up with so far...

Ace of Spades: Jinxed
Image of a Black Cat “Careful”

King of Spades: Random Switch of race and gender
“Things are going to change” (change while sleeping)

Queen of Spades: Hair and eyes change colour
“Varity is the spice of life”

Jack of Spades: Gain the ‘companionship’ of a prank playing imp
“Honest! It was just a joke”

Ten of Spades: Enemies (for at least 1 week)
“No body likes you”

Nine of Spades:
Eight of Spades:

Seven of Spades: Poison bite, Primary 2d6 wis+dex, secondary 1d6 wis+con
“Ouch…” (bites)

Six of Spades:
Five of Spades:
Four of Spades:

Three of Spades:: Throws up
"That rising feeling"

Two of Spades: Rock flies at character, 1d8 damage (reflex save?)
“Look out”

Ace of Clubs: Sprit Parasite
“You have a guest” (Tiny ethereal blue squid like creature arrives from another dimension and flies into drawer, no save)

King of Clubs: 1000 gp worth of wealth turns to stone
“Easy come, Easy go”

Queen of Clubs: Next Card happens to someone you know
"This card is not for you, and neither is the next" (another pops out of deck)

Jack of Clubs: Challenge
(flys from hand and expands to create a portal (oneway, PCs cannot use) from which outsider steps and declares its challenge) Outsider of apropiate CR appears and attacks. If the drawer defeats it in single combat, granted an appropriate reward. If the drawer is defeated, he owes the outsider a service which can be called on at any time.

Ten of Clubs: Bursts into flames
(Bursts into flames)

Nine of Clubs: Blinded
“It’s all going dark” then...

Eight of Clubs: Deafened
“you’ll be doing a lot more reading from now on”

Seven of Clubs: A weapon or other item turns to rust or stone, iron etc
“Shoddy make, you didn’t want it anyway”

Six of Clubs: Cannot talk for a day
“What did you say?”

Five of Clubs: very bad weather
“Rain, rain, go away”

Four of Clubs: Attract swarms of flys for a day
“A dark and swirling could approaches”

Three of Clubs: Faint on the spot
“Oh my…”

Two of Clubs: Become ill tomorrow
“Chicken soup”

Ace of Diamonds: Lucky
shows image of clover “Fate smiles for you”

King of Diamonds: 1000 gp bag falls from sky (directly above PC :] )
“Look up”

Queen of Diamonds: A weapon, armour or other item becomes magical
“It must be magic”

Jack of Diamonds: minor wish
“Close your eyes and make a wish. Pick your words wisely."

Ten of Diamonds: Bonus Feat
“You’re quite amazing aren’t you”

Nine of Diamonds: Warning before something important occurs
“You shall be warned”

Eight of Diamonds:

Seven of Diamonds: Develop talent (singing 8 ranks)
“What a voice”

Six of Diamonds:
Five of Diamonds:
Four of Diamonds:
Three of Diamonds:
Two of Diamonds:

Ace of Hearts: Random object on characters person becomes intelligent
“Its alive!”

King of Hearts: Gain the companionship of a small sprite
“Hello”

Queen of Hearts: npc falls in love with drawer
Shows image of heart “You’ve made quite an impression on someone”

Jack of Hearts: Favour and repayment
“When you are in need, call upon a stranger not from this world, and a favour you may ask. But be ready to grant one in return”

Ten of Hearts: Friends (for at least 1 week)
“Seems like a good sorta guy to me”

Nine of Hearts: Next mistake reversed
“You have a second chance, but not a third”

Eight of Hearts: Augery (x3)
"You have been granted knowlege, three questions you may ask, the gods are listening"

Seven of Hearts:
Six of Hearts:
Five of Hearts:
Four of Hearts:
Three of Hearts:

Two of Hearts: befriend an animal
“Nature’s not you enemy”

Certain cards may display extra text if needed and depending on how PC responds, eg Eight of Hearts.
Others are intentionaly mysterious and PCs must figure it out or wait to see what happens, eg Two of Clubs, King of Spades.

Lots of missing cards at the moment, suggestions more than welcome, any neat ideas pop into mind? :)

Also I realise that haveing removed the risk of severe loss or death, players might be tempted to abuse the deck pulling cards any time they feel. I thought perhaps makeing it only allow one card a day or something like that.

Hmmm?

Last edited:

JimAde

First Post
To prevent abuse use the same technique as the original deck. Once you've drawn your allotment, the deck vanishes. This is especially appropriate given the "prankster" attitude displayed.

I like the Jack of Hearts. Sounds like a Planar Ally spell? Always fun. You could do an opposite effect for the Jack of Clubs. An outsider of a CR equal to the drawer's ECL appears and attacks him. If the drawer defeats it in single combat, he gets some appropriate reward. If the drawer is defeated, he owes the outsider a service which can be called on at any time.

The Edge

First Post
Like the jack of clubs idea, thanks, Id write more but Ive got to go now for the weekend. bye for now.

Turned out I can get online anyway, but you don't need to know about that.

Adding JimAdes idea for jack of clubs.
And another to eight of hearts that allows the drawer to ask a higher power three questions, similar to the cleric spell that I can't think how to spell right now, Augery?

Last edited:

The Edge

First Post
Added two more cards.

Queen of Clubs: Next Card happens to someone you know
"This card is not for you, and neither is the next" (another pops out of deck)

The DM should think of an apropriate NPC to take the card, this need not be before the second card is drawn. This means you can think of who would make the most interest from the card; eg a noble gaining some wealth is rather dull. However a PCs friend being baffled about why her hair suddenly turned purple, and telling the slightly guilty feeling PC all about it is more fun.

and the other card...

Three of Spades:: Throws up
"That rising feeling"

Simple. They reed the card in anticpation, think "That rising feeling"? that doesn't sound to bad, then a short delay and...
"oh dear, I feel a bit, uh :confused: , I think it is...yep...Im gonna be sick!" *runs off. :p

I'll see if I can think of any more.

The Edge

First Post
Ok, heres another.

Ace of Clubs: Sprit Parasite
“You have a guest” (Tiny ethereal blue squid like creature arrives from another dimension and flies into drawer, no save)

The parasitic creature in question is a Xellios, a creature that I am currently woring on for possible use in my campaign. They are from a demi plane that disappeared long ago, they have spread to the etheriel plane where they drift feeding harmlessly on the planes basic essence. They are atracted to 'strong spirits', often meaning particular liveing beings, and will attempt to attach to them. Bonding with a Xellios is not harmful dirrectly, they feed from their hosts spirit, but don't consume it. As part of this they become stronger and will atempt to protect their food source. Infact a Xellios is almost more of a symbiote, although their exact effects and actions depend on their alignment. Good Xellios will cuase minimal bother to their host and will posibley help when they do not have any self gain. Evil ones can be malevolent; although protecting their host, they may interfere with their hosts affairs or even try to assert dominance and take control.

Normaly a Xellios encountered that attempts to bond with an unwilling being can be stoped with a will save. The one summoned by the card however grants no save, and will automaticaly succeed. Running, hidding, attacking or magic short of a wish (and any other apropriate spell I have not considerd) is useless.

I will create a new topic to cover them further.

Last edited:

Remove ads